Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 07-22-19, 10:36 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
330/215; My power under 2 minutes is atrocious. Despite trying to work on it that's never been a strong point; not sure if it ever will be. I'm also only 136 lbs, so anything I do average or below average is going to look horrendous.
You're doing well by all I've seen in here. Kudos. Just might be part of your personal power curve.

That rest power might be too high if I had to spitball it. Just my internet formed opinion. With that rest power, that 30/30 is pretty aerobic.

Did these last week for example, 40/20's: https://www.strava.com/activities/2534146228/analysis

Then again, you might be doing 30/30 for a totally different purpose. I did the 40/20's because I had meetings that day and wanted to do something quick and hard. Also to remind myself what that felt like before going the cross course later in the week.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-22-19, 11:19 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Just wrapping up a short power build cycle in advance of CX season. It's been pretty mediocre; I mean, I'm better but I still have work to do in the next few weeks. Part of the mediocrity has been trying to do some workouts while on vacation on roads not really great for the type of work I was doing, and another part is doing short power on the trainer has been awful due to the indoor temp. I have a lasko pro performance and another less good lasko but really need one or two more pro's because I'm really cooking at vo2 wattages (90 sec at 120% seems to be where I really start to overcook). I miss my 50 degree winter training lol

I'm supposed to do a 150mile gravel event in August and while I'm probably good for it (I did 100miles a few weeks ago), I haven't been doing much big mileage the past few weeks, so need to mix some in over the next few weeks.

I also regret not doing a duathlon yesterday that I could have been pretty competitive in. It is refreshing to see so many people do these events (my wife did her first triathlon, so was there to support), people had all sorts of bikes from MTB and some had cruiser bikes. Of course everyone got a medal lol All I get in bike racing is a bruised ego!
Old 07-22-19, 12:31 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Managed a little over 5 hours on the bike last 7 days. Not a bad load for me just getting back to it. Because of commuting and riding early in the morning before the wife or kids are up, I think it only cost me 30 or 5 minutes of family time.

Just trying to keep an eye on my TSB and ramp rate and not overdo things due to enthusiasm of just getting back on the bike and the nice weather.
Old 07-23-19, 06:50 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Advice for our upcoming vacation? 10 days.

I can take my running shoes. I can still run pretty well. Maybe core exercises, a few runs, and some body weight squatting and calf raises and other stuff. Maybe do some runs with some 400m intervals tossed in. Like 1/2km at 10:00/mi and 400m all out (maybe 6:00/mi). It's not the same specificity as the bike, but would keep the heart/lung engine primed.

I was thinking about getting in some good TSS right before we depart also.

It may help that I've been running a record high CTL for about 2 months now. I usually average in the 40's and it's been right at 60.
Old 07-24-19, 10:56 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I broke the code, or broke myself, or broke the trainer bike.......I finally got the 2 sets of 3x3 @ 350w.

I had a coworker talk to me a few minutes during the 2nd set rest, so once he left I decided to start the 2nd set over again to get all 3x3 in a row properly.

Meaning, overall it was 7 total reps.

It was a weird feeling today. Usually in the last minute it's a feeling of the energy is about to disappear and grind to failure. This hopeless feeling of not being able to "will it" to the finish. Today, until the very last reps, it felt like something happened during that last minute where it hurt but the energy was still there. Could feel something "kick in". Hard to explain. Almost like body found some resources to pull from today it didn't have before.

I did drink some gatorade on the workout today. Not convinced it was that. It's short enough workouts water is fine and only water 90% of the time. Just wanted some flavor flave since the fruit bowl was full of horribly un-ripe fruit choices.
Old 07-24-19, 11:03 AM
Flatballer
No matches

FTP test last night. Ramp style (93% target 10 minutes, 100% 15 minutes, ramp until exhaustion).

175W basically. At 205 lbs, so pretty bad, but it's somewhere to start, and it's going to be a long road back (not that I was ever fast, but I'd like to be this time).

Eventual long term goal is 320W and 80kg, which is still not the level of a lot of folks here, but is hopefully achievable. The weight will probably be the easy part.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 07-24-19, 11:47 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Went to do 4x8's after work the other day. First 2 were fine. On the third, I just blew up. Heat was just too much: 101F. I bailed and rode home low and slow.
Old 07-24-19, 12:17 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by caloso
Went to do 4x8's after work the other day. First 2 were fine. On the third, I just blew up. Heat was just too much: 101F. I bailed and rode home low and slow.
What does your interval route look like? I haven't found a good one here yet. Everything has stop signs and lights constantly, I can't find anything long enough for 4 minutes, let alone 8 or 16 I'd like to be doing.

The best I've found (using Strava heat maps) is an approximately 1 mile loop in a neighborhood that doesn't have lights or stop signs, but there's 800 driveways and I'd feel weird riding laps for 45 minutes at high speeds.
Old 07-24-19, 01:42 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked 3,080 Times in 1,631 Posts
Freakin' haggard 2x20 session this morning. I always want to ride near threshold for these, ended up being more like sweep spot.

These are always questionable the morning after track, which was particularly hard last night. Also I was a bit underfueled and underslept - so it goes. Next time!
Old 07-24-19, 01:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
What does your interval route look like? I haven't found a good one here yet. Everything has stop signs and lights constantly, I can't find anything long enough for 4 minutes, let alone 8 or 16 I'd like to be doing.

The best I've found (using Strava heat maps) is an approximately 1 mile loop in a neighborhood that doesn't have lights or stop signs, but there's 800 driveways and I'd feel weird riding laps for 45 minutes at high speeds.
https://www.strava.com/segments/12159761?filter=overall

It's a new road that got put in for a housing development. Only about half the houses have been built yet, so it's relatively light traffic. About 4 miles and 2 stop signs that are usually clear and good visibility. Flat and runs SW-NE, so pretty much right inline with the prevailing wind, especially in the afternoon. I used to do them on the bike path, but that's farther away from the office and the house.
Old 07-24-19, 02:26 PM
hubcyclist

After having a CTL in the high 80's-low 90's for a while, that has dropped off a bit due to vacation and lower training volume, going into the 60s (gasp lol). So while my Trainerroad plan has me in a recovery week this week, I've been doing more endurance these past couple of days to build some of that back up and get my TSB away from "over-rested" territory. I'm hoping to do another 2hrs z2 tomorrow, take a little easier on Friday, and do something pretty long on Saturday, ideally 100 miles (the weather appears to be perfect for such an effort). CTL is now 71 and TSB at 3. I had some really good legs in the 80's, and kind of meh right now, so hoping to get less meh for when CX starts

I also just picked up assioma uno pedals. I have a powertap hub, but I've been using it more and more on my CX bike that I think it should just live there, and also there's the first world problem of having to switch from 11 to 8 speed plus tire when I want to change between bikes. I've been running the pedal against my gen1 Cycleops Hammer and at least on the surface the two line up closely, the pedal reports a little higher (about 2w on the average and 5w on the NP). So I guess I can never blame my trainer for underreporting, and fortunately I don't get an inflated sense on my abilities with the Hammer either!
Old 07-24-19, 08:05 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Yesterday was Fiesta but....I did not get there until noon. It was very windy. I had to lean the bike into the crosswind and there was some blowing sand and dirt. I did one lap that included warmup, accelerations and starts and quit.

Today, I went to the gym and did legs. Did a 30 inch box jump. So that is a record for me. Onward.
Old 07-24-19, 10:57 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
that screams a Di2 upgrade, by mounting MTB brake levers on the drops and adding sprinter shifters or climbing switch

I've been thinking about this myself.
? What drops?
Old 07-24-19, 11:01 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Gravel question: Mountain bikes make great gravel bikes. Especially the spark with the rear lockout at your hands. Throw some wide, fast gravel tires on there and have a ball. I rode my Scalpel for Crusher last year and the only thing I didn't like was lack of hand positions (I used TOGS, but still only having two places to put my hands suckkked after 5 hours) and lack of gearing. 30x10 was not enough for the road sections. A bigger chain ring would be huge. IDK if there are any major descents on the RPI route, but having a dropper would be nice. I did not have one on my mtb until September of this year, but they're awesome even for gravel riding. Lets you get into a "suepr tuck" esque position withough having sit on the toptube. Comfy and fast!

Bike choice: Here's my opinion. If you're going for the fun event style week, ride the enduro. If you're going for the training and learning, ride the spark. There's something to be said for being ultra familiar with your personal bike, and the spark is more than capable unless you're doing big jumps or drops.
Hmm, no steep descents on RPI but as I understand it, there’s a long slight downhill finish into a headwind. Didn’t think of the dropper being a bonus for that...

As to the rest of it, see my next post...
Old 07-24-19, 11:17 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

I crashed on Sat, not sure what happened, I was just riding casually with some friends on our way out of town. I think it was a pavement issue. I don’t remember what happened, I hit my head pretty badly and cracked my helmet in two pieces. Apparently I was coherent enough to assist in calling my husband.

Went to the emergency room, got a neg head CT and discharged with a diagnosis of a concussion. I was home for a couple of hours and then started feeling worse and worse, then I lost consciousness for 1-2 minutes and then back to the ER.

Second head CT, and new CTs of chest, abdomen, pelvis, plus radiographs of my left hand and chest, continuous EKG, & echocardiogram and an overnight hospital stay yielded only the additional diagnosis of a right rib fracture +/- left pinky fracture.

Ive been feeling pretty terrible up until today when I suddenly feel significantly better. Hopefully back to work on Monday. I see my doctor tomorrow so hopefully will have more info.

Got the new dropper today, it’s pretty swell but makes me sad because how long will it be before it’s “ok” to risk cracking my head again? A while, so I’m not going to be able to make use of it for awhile. My Mammoth Clinic is out (and there goes my $400 Registration down the drain). I’m doubtful for the Girlz Gone Riding Women’s mtn bike weekend in 4 weeks, will the rib still be sore then? Ugh. I was wanting to up my mtb game this summer and move back to TTing in the fall. I may need to rethink.

Shopping for new MIPs helmets.
Old 07-25-19, 07:57 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

@Heathpack, yikes, hopefully your symptoms clear up and I'm glad it wasn't worse. Head injury can be scary. I've had some a couple severe concussion in younger days (college) when I was more resilient; I think one would mess me up pretty badly now.

In regards to the demo, I would say there is little to no reason to not try the demo bike. I tried a few during the SDMBA Mt Laguna "Trail Fest" last year and they were pretty fun - I would purposely mow straight over obstacles that I would typically maneuver around on my HT XC rig. If I had to choose between them and my bike I would still pick mine b/c it's faster under pedaling, but it was fun and good to know what a more capable bike is like.
Old 07-25-19, 08:28 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
@Heathpack I am glad you are feeling better. Sending healing thoughts your way.
Old 07-25-19, 03:38 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
I crashed on Sat, not sure what happened, I was just riding casually with some friends on our way out of town. I think it was a pavement issue. I don’t remember what happened, I hit my head pretty badly and cracked my helmet in two pieces. Apparently I was coherent enough to assist in calling my husband.

Went to the emergency room, got a neg head CT and discharged with a diagnosis of a concussion. I was home for a couple of hours and then started feeling worse and worse, then I lost consciousness for 1-2 minutes and then back to the ER.

Second head CT, and new CTs of chest, abdomen, pelvis, plus radiographs of my left hand and chest, continuous EKG, & echocardiogram and an overnight hospital stay yielded only the additional diagnosis of a right rib fracture +/- left pinky fracture.

Ive been feeling pretty terrible up until today when I suddenly feel significantly better. Hopefully back to work on Monday. I see my doctor tomorrow so hopefully will have more info.

Got the new dropper today, it’s pretty swell but makes me sad because how long will it be before it’s “ok” to risk cracking my head again? A while, so I’m not going to be able to make use of it for awhile. My Mammoth Clinic is out (and there goes my $400 Registration down the drain). I’m doubtful for the Girlz Gone Riding Women’s mtn bike weekend in 4 weeks, will the rib still be sore then? Ugh. I was wanting to up my mtb game this summer and move back to TTing in the fall. I may need to rethink.

Shopping for new MIPs helmets.

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
After having a CTL in the high 80's-low 90's for a while, that has dropped off a bit due to vacation and lower training volume, going into the 60s (gasp lol). So while my Trainerroad plan has me in a recovery week this week, I've been doing more endurance these past couple of days to build some of that back up and get my TSB away from "over-rested" territory. I'm hoping to do another 2hrs z2 tomorrow, take a little easier on Friday, and do something pretty long on Saturday, ideally 100 miles (the weather appears to be perfect for such an effort). CTL is now 71 and TSB at 3. I had some really good legs in the 80's, and kind of meh right now, so hoping to get less meh for when CX starts

I also just picked up assioma uno pedals. I have a powertap hub, but I've been using it more and more on my CX bike that I think it should just live there, and also there's the first world problem of having to switch from 11 to 8 speed plus tire when I want to change between bikes. I've been running the pedal against my gen1 Cycleops Hammer and at least on the surface the two line up closely, the pedal reports a little higher (about 2w on the average and 5w on the NP). So I guess I can never blame my trainer for underreporting, and fortunately I don't get an inflated sense on my abilities with the Hammer either!
The pedals are going to be a tad higher because they're closer to your power point, we're there's some drivetrain loss with the crank and chain. Assiomas are great, you have the dual side (duos)?
Old 07-25-19, 06:06 PM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by furiousferret

The pedals are going to be a tad higher because they're closer to your power point, we're there's some drivetrain loss with the crank and chain. Assiomas are great, you have the dual side (duos)?
Uno's, I wasn't too hung up on double sided, I had briefly sample the powertap p1s a year ago on my trainer and found nearly identical power, I might get a bit more right leg dominant on harder efforts but I'm not going to sweat it at the moment. After all the positive reviews on the assiomas I had no hesitation in getting them (although I did like the p1s as well and wish they still made them). I might geek out and compare the assioma uno to the powertap hub, I might subscribe to the dc rainmaker analysis tool and blog about all of this.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 07-25-19, 07:16 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Uno's, I wasn't too hung up on double sided, I had briefly sample the powertap p1s a year ago on my trainer and found nearly identical power, I might get a bit more right leg dominant on harder efforts but I'm not going to sweat it at the moment. After all the positive reviews on the assiomas I had no hesitation in getting them (although I did like the p1s as well and wish they still made them). I might geek out and compare the assioma uno to the powertap hub, I might subscribe to the dc rainmaker analysis tool and blog about all of this.
I still have my powertap hub and I use duos now. I haven't ridden with both, but I really should. See how they compare.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 07-25-19, 09:31 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
@Heathpack.. heal up. Don't rush head injuries. I had a teammate crash a few years ago at amateur nats and hasn't recovered to 100% ever because he came back too soon. He crashed again at the USA crits in SLC last weekend and I think the whole team was panicking over group text that he hit his head again.

My training was lacking the last few weeks fighting illness and taking a break into a racing block. Back to it now. Tuesday was the race ride.. where I got dropped because I missed the back. Cut the course, and jumped back on for the speed work. Afterwords a few of us climbed the divide. One of my slowest times ever, but it was headwind and hot.
Today I did 2x20ish up the divide. Did not think I'd be able to make the second rep but committed and made it. Power was a bit low and times were slow (again wind and heat).

Planis to make this the general training plan leading into lotoja. Group ride, lots of climbing intervals and long rides when I can fit it. I'm on track for a 60+hr work week this week. I'm glad I'm single and can still ride..
Old 07-26-19, 07:20 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Too lazy to drive out of town. Faster in town Tues ride was washed out, so did the slower Thur ride. I made most of it. Did a few group chores along the way to increase the training stimulus. Grab the traffic circle so the group makes it through in one shot, then chase on. Dropped back to bridge a guy back on, but he couldn't hold the wheel and fell off. Then I got back on.

Once the group togetherness was over when we reached the hills of the last couple miles back I broke for it. Was a good application of some recent training.

Bet the farm on trying to beat my own KOM and was way up on power, but just couldn't hold it to the finish of the segment. Another day. It was near the end of the ride, and when I had grabbed that KOM earlier in the year I was really fresh in a ride. Power this time before bailing I was up 70w.

I think I need to learn how to apply power better for those tries. I think when it is steep I give it way too much extra versus when it levels out. If it's a 2min hill with a wall in the first 200 yards........I'll totally throw 600 at the wall then try to hold on the rest of the way. Probably not the fastest way to do that.
Old 07-26-19, 02:25 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Did my standard "filler" road ride this morning, 2 hrs of low z2 with the following three efforts:

1x15' by feel (SST+)
1x10' hard (>100%)
1x3' 120%

I smashed and hit 100% for the 15', 104% for the 10' and 122% for the 3'. I had some anxiety about it b/c of how awful I felt during an attempted 2x20's on Wednesday, which I guess turned out to be circumstantial.

Which got me thinking, it's funny how much mental "stock" us athletes put on ourselves to perform at a high level. I know that I won't always be this fit, and racing season is over, but somehow the idea of losing fitness is scary, even though I have nothing left to be fast for except our weekly track racing. I can totally see how a lot of ex pro's or even ex high level amateurs chose to hang up their cleats (so to speak) instead of performing at a mediocre level. It can be frustrating feeling like you're under performing when you know how good you can be, even if getting there isn't always realistic.

Having said that I will be doing my best to actually let myself relax now and back off the training haha. I have a rather strenuous and high-adventure Sierra Nevada peak/backpacking trip planned in September so my weekends might be featuring big hikes instead of rides for a bit now. Time to get those walking legs in order!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-26-19, 05:31 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Saw the altitude camp thread...I needed an attitude camp today.

three 5 minute intervals @ 355. Five minutes rest between.

Needed a good day to get my mind right for the next few weeks.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 07-26-19, 09:49 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Gym after a long day (week..) of work. Followed it up with a quick spin with a 35ish second uphill sprint in the middle. Set a 2 year or from20s to 1 minute power. On an effort shorter than that. 🧐🧐.

GRE tomorrow so life stress will probably be high even if the bike stress wont.
Likes For Ttoc6:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.