Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 04-26-20, 01:19 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
week 1 of SSB1 HV done, t'was a breeze and I that's not even considering that I kind of really start feeling good a couple of weeks into the plan. If CX doesn't get cancelled, I'll be in a good position to peak for the late Oct/early Nov portion of the season which has the races I really like.

I've got my son (turning 9 in a few weeks) using zwift pretty regularly as it's been rainy and not super warm here (we did ride around for an hour outdoors yesterday). I'm trying to get him to regularly ride 60mins and have been trying to give him some incentives to go more a bit longer (he's the type to try and get away with the least amount of work/activity he can in his life lol). I don't want to go nuts but he's got a lot of energy he can afford to burn off, coupled with the need for focused physical activity since he does take adhd meds. He does between 25-35w, a real powerhouse lol but really I'm just hoping to build up his physical endurance (and patience for longer rides) so we can spend more time outside in the summer.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 04-26-20, 03:15 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Your trough is my peak =\
It's not a thing. We just need to focus on riding within ourselves. I should be between 325-330 right now around 130 pounds. But I'm not. I had a good workout though, and got through 2.5 hours indoors without but a stop for a bathroom break. My wattage was way off, but my body was doing what it could and I left satisfied.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 04-26-20, 09:12 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Trail run today. Ended up top 10 on a pretty popular running segment (~2km with 1300ft of gain up to a waterfall) despite the trails being wet (snow melt) and busy.. Actually pretty proud of it. I'm not a runner (anymore) and definitely have some more time I can shave off!

Ran back down to the car, grabbed my climbing stuff and Top-rope solo climbed a couple of pitches. Got back to the car anddddd I locked my keys inside. I could see them sitting on the dash but couldn't get to em no matter what I tried. Ended up ubering home, having the office staff at my apt let me in and then digging to find my extra key. Rode my bike back up to where I parked and got home. Small day turns into a logistical nightmare. Luckily the 10$ uber is way cheaper than a locksmith
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 04-27-20, 12:28 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Rode down south to do Stage 1 of the Quarantine stage race we have on Strava. The stage consisted of a LOT of spikey 13-18% climbs, so the power was just all over the place.

Old 04-27-20, 12:31 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
Another similar week to last week with slightly less mileage but similar TSS. My wife and I rode 3 hours on Saturday and 2 hours on Sunday along the coast. We had great weather.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 04-27-20, 12:51 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Solid week; 12 hours, 615 tss; I have traded some of my fitness for fixing up my house, which seems like an optimal thing to do right now. I'm probably about 5 lbs and 15 watts from peak, but I see this as 2021 off season training tbh.

I do have this irrational fear that there's going to a race suddenly pop up next week and I won't be on form for it!

Originally Posted by gsteinb
It's not a thing. We just need to focus on riding within ourselves. I should be between 325-330 right now around 130 pounds. But I'm not. I had a good workout though, and got through 2.5 hours indoors without but a stop for a bathroom break. My wattage was way off, but my body was doing what it could and I left satisfied.
My wife tells me the same thing, I've always been driven by an inferiority complex (not you specifically, in general)...internally I'm pretty happy with where I'm at, but like everyone else on this forum I have ambitions that require improvement on the bike.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 04-28-20, 12:26 PM
hubcyclist

did 5x10 sweet spot @ 94%, not very taxing, my HR didn't even really go past 160 except early on.

son is on zwift as we speak, doing a 60min session, and he did 60min yesterday on zwift (always on tempus fugit, flat is the only way the low w/kg isn't painful to watch lol). I may be speaking too soon, but I think the focused exercise time has been really good for him. We have a lot of kids in our neighborhood around his age and I only see a couple of other kids being brought outside, certainly not enough quality time I think. So I'm glad we've got a routine going and hope to keep it going
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 04-28-20, 05:45 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 155 Posts
4x5 min 105% FTP efforts and an hour of endurance. I regret letting myself get this out of shape!
Old 04-29-20, 09:03 AM
Cypress

I went out into the dead-flat farmlands to do a 4x10 Sweet Spot in my aero road tuck last night. I was just about done with my second interval when a bullet passed within 7' of my head... It had seemed to come from a house that was 120 yards away, and there was nothing else for at least a mile. I bugged out and boogied down a road to get away from the area. I stopped another cyclist from heading that direction and as I was telling him what was going on when a sheriff deputy just happened to be driving towards us. I told the deputy what had happened and gave him my info. He seemed to know the house in question and told me he wasn't going to go knock on their door because they are "law enforcement unfriendly" and would just tell him to "f*ck off" (his words). I've been shot at a few times at various distances (intentionally and by accident), and it was without a doubt a bullet from a small-caliber firearm.

I totally understand that people need to be caught "in the act" when it comes to crimming, but damn, man... A human, with all seriousness and experience, just said "I got shot at 4 minutes ago right there from that house" and the LEO's were low-low like "yeah, those guys are mean to us, so... *shrug* ...we have your info. Thanks bye."

Still finished my workout though.
Old 04-29-20, 09:06 AM
furiousferret

3x20's @ 90%.

Something's been missing. My guess is being locked inside I really haven't had those forced under a minute intervals that comes with groups rides. Everything has been sweet spot more or less, which is only going to get you so far...
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 04-29-20, 05:18 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
I went out into the dead-flat farmlands to do a 4x10 Sweet Spot in my aero road tuck last night. I was just about done with my second interval when a bullet passed within 7' of my head... It had seemed to come from a house that was 120 yards away, and there was nothing else for at least a mile. I bugged out and boogied down a road to get away from the area. I stopped another cyclist from heading that direction and as I was telling him what was going on when a sheriff deputy just happened to be driving towards us. I told the deputy what had happened and gave him my info. He seemed to know the house in question and told me he wasn't going to go knock on their door because they are "law enforcement unfriendly" and would just tell him to "f*ck off" (his words). I've been shot at a few times at various distances (intentionally and by accident), and it was without a doubt a bullet from a small-caliber firearm.

I totally understand that people need to be caught "in the act" when it comes to crimming, but damn, man... A human, with all seriousness and experience, just said "I got shot at 4 minutes ago right there from that house" and the LEO's were low-low like "yeah, those guys are mean to us, so... *shrug* ...we have your info. Thanks bye."

Crazy! Glad you didn't got shot!!!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-29-20, 06:35 PM
hubcyclist

yikes

today was a quick one, 60mins 7x6min sweet spot. Plus hour of riding with son, 8 miles in a .25mile loop around our house
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 04-30-20, 07:46 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts

A few years ago, my buddy and I were riding when a car passed us. We were single file, and he hollered something to me as the car passed, but I couldn't make out what he said. The car went up a bit, pulled a U-turn then came back and passed us. When it did, I could see the person in the passenger seat holding what looked like an AK-47 pointed across the driver at us. My friend had been hollering because he noticed the gun barrel pointing out the window at us the first time the car came by.

We pulled over and called the police, who took a statement but didn't seem to care. The car was a blue, last generation Toyota Celica.

After that, we just rode home.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 04-30-20, 08:14 AM
Cypress

Pretty sad that the police seem to have a "you're on a bike so who gives a bakers ****" attitude. I got stopped by an irate dude on a state highway in the middle of nowhere once (he pulled over and blocked the road). He got out of his rig with a baseball bat in his hand and threatened to bash my brains out if he caught me out there again, all while shaking the bat in my face. The county sheriff dispatcher deadass told me (via phone after I called 911) "sir we can't suppress his 1st amendment rights" and wouldn't even take his licence plate number. I started carrying concealed on the bike after that, but then stopped because of how much of a pain in the ass it was...literally.

Tried to ride last night but got a block from my place before it started raining. Oregon has this fun thing where there will be a ZERO percent chance of precip while it's currently raining. Wasn't mentally into it, so 2 hours of tempo work turned into a 30-second warmup followed by a 4-minute cool down, then dinner.

The weatherman has been downright shoddy this year. Pretty sure I could be a better weatherman by using a cheap wind/temp/baro gauge and looking out the window.

Last edited by Hermes; 04-30-20 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Getting around the sensor
Old 04-30-20, 10:38 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

FTP is up probably 5-10 watts this week. Weight is down a total of 10 pounds. Just another 50-60 watts and 15-20 more pounds to go lol.
Likes For procrit:
Old 04-30-20, 10:49 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,541 Posts
Took the TT bike out for some SST today. Just for funsies I rode my race front wheel (hed jet 60, corsa speed, latex) and my team speedsuit from last year that has a pocket and my cloth track number still pinned on it . Unfortunately I must have timed it poorly because there weren't many people in front of my on my route that I could "race" . Still I managed some decent motivation and even hit one 3' segment at ~120% after about 35 min of cumulative SST.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-30-20, 11:26 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Went for a run 5k and decided to try for a PR. 22:55 on a route that's really hilly. Almost 300ft for the 3.1 miles.

Now, need to do a week soon in the pain cave doing some TT bike threshold work and go for a 10mi TT PR around town.

I'm darn sure if it was pan flat I could go faster than 7:00/mi for a 5k. That 5k starts right out of the house up a false flat into a 8 to 11% grade hill ending in another false flat uphill for another 2/3 mile.

7:00/mi is still laughably slow compared to runners, runners who run faster than that by a whole minute for a whole marathon. Then again, I have zero desire to run 40 miles a week either.

I think a good goal is this year to maybe double down and get BOTH my 5k time and 10mi TT time down to 22min.
Old 04-30-20, 11:52 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Went for a run 5k and decided to try for a PR. 22:55 on a route that's really hilly. Almost 300ft for the 3.1 miles.

Now, need to do a week soon in the pain cave doing some TT bike threshold work and go for a 10mi TT PR around town.

I'm darn sure if it was pan flat I could go faster than 7:00/mi for a 5k. That 5k starts right out of the house up a false flat into a 8 to 11% grade hill ending in another false flat uphill for another 2/3 mile.

7:00/mi is still laughably slow compared to runners, runners who run faster than that by a whole minute for a whole marathon. Then again, I have zero desire to run 40 miles a week either.

I think a good goal is this year to maybe double down and get BOTH my 5k time and 10mi TT time down to 22min.
Dropping weight for cycling seemed to make my running exponentially faster. Not sure what your weight is, but if you don't mind getting really skinny your run times will drop.
Old 04-30-20, 01:16 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by procrit
Dropping weight for cycling seemed to make my running exponentially faster. Not sure what your weight is, but if you don't mind getting really skinny your run times will drop.
70kg at 70 inches tall. Not much I can do there.

It's totally a thing about not enough time for more volume and not enough volume to toss in a ton of intensity for the run. I reserve that extra volume for the bike, ha ha!

So, I'm ok where it is. That's about 2:30 faster on that same route than last year. So, nearly 1:00 per mile faster on my hilly 5k route in a year.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-01-20, 07:50 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

I bought a $850 used CAAD 10 as a backup / trainer with sram red, and I'll be damned if it doesn't handle better than the $4000 carbon bike I've been riding. Outside of being a little rougher on chipseal, it feels less twitchy in corners and more solid when you drop the hammer in the straight sections. Wondering if I should sell this carbon bike and buy a CAAD12 or 13 as the race bike...
Likes For procrit:
Old 05-01-20, 09:15 AM
Cypress

Did another stage of the Strava stage race I'm in. Getting bored with the ride down to the area that the stages are located.

Basically, I rode Z2 for 40 miles, did a 6 mile flat TT, then kept on riding for another 35 miles to my Aunt's house where my wife was waiting to drive us back home after dinner. Power during the TT was absolute trash with a heart rate that just wouldn't go up, and I think it's because I've been doing these stages while still working 40 hours a week. I didn't start feeling "loose" until 3 hours into the ride, and I can see it in the power data...the last quarter of my ride has a 30W higher NP than the first half, but at the same PE.

This "race" is absolutely crushing my ability to train responsibly. I didn't get home until 10pm last night, and I still had to put everything away shower up, unwind, etc.

5 hours of sleep after a 190 TSS ride is no bueno.
Old 05-01-20, 09:25 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
Yesterday, I wanted to do a coffee ride as part of a mini rest. Wednesday, off, Thursday, coffee ride, Friday, off.

I left my house it was overcast and went up Soledad with the idea of going into LJ village via Nautilas and finding an open coffee shop. As I approach the top, it was misting, foggy and LJ is socked in with fog. I coasted down to the bottom of Soledad and did one easy climb and went home.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-01-20, 09:56 AM
furiousferret

Did the USA Cycling race on Zwift. Faster than most races and since it was pancake flat I really couldn't escape, no matter how hard I went. So it went to down to a sprint and I came in mid pack. I swear ppl in Zwift hate any races with elevation.

I think my results would have been close to the same in the A's (I did the B's).
Old 05-01-20, 11:46 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Did the USA Cycling race on Zwift. Faster than most races and since it was pancake flat I really couldn't escape, no matter how hard I went. So it went to down to a sprint and I came in mid pack. I swear ppl in Zwift hate any races with elevation.

I think my results would have been close to the same in the A's (I did the B's).
You mean outside of maybe P/1/2 or hillclimb all racing people also hate hills.

Around here, all the group hammer rides are on routes definitely under or up to 50ft per mile elevation. I typically ride closer to 60ft per mile and sometimes in town by my house around 100ft per mile elevation. I like routes also with some kind of 2min to 3min hills a few times in there. Most of these races and hammer rides seem to avoid those.

There's one just out of town that does, but I'm not fast enough for that group yet.

I usually can explode our hammer group up hills longer than 2min. Then the heavier riders start moaning and complaining about "people taking chances or running signs and lights" or some crap. No, your heavy self just got dropped. For the 4th time on the same ride up a hill.

Whatever. I've a lot to learn still.......I've got it to the point I know I could WIN, now just need to learn how to not crash while doing so. Lol.

Today.....10k at my same original PR from last year. 10+ bpm lower HR on a little slower route.

Next week, taking bike to work for a 10mi TT try. I think the rule will be, if you're not stopping to vomit or cramping up.....the meter can't read less than 280w until you're done.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-01-20, 12:13 PM
Cypress

Here's last night's TT. Mass-start rules, no TT bikes allowed etc. so this was on my TCR Advanced SL Disc. I started the TT 2 hours into my ride, so I wasn't expecting huge numbers, but I was expecting way more than I ended up putting out. Methinks I started too hard and paid for it and I've got a good bit of fatigue leftover from earlier this week. I was doing 4x10 at nearly this wattage on Tuesday, but could barely hold it for one effort today. The fruitbat wind was also disadvantageous for establishing a rhythm with a constant speed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.