Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 05-07-20, 11:26 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Tonight will do some TT bike work. Can't decide to go for a segment or not though versus doing a 10-er for practice.

The 10-er I scoped out misses one nice long segment by about 200 yards. I guess I could u-turn after finishing the segment, but that's kind of crap too.

It's a petty silly complaint, but when people make Strava segments........they really really need to try to not end it right at an intersection. Pick maybe 100 yards before. This applies here.
Old 05-07-20, 11:28 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,541 Posts
Took the day off work yesterday to go long, 97 mi with about 5,100' elevation. I had originally penciled in 120 but got spooked due to a late start and a hot weather forecast. I should've done it! It wasn't too bad on the coast and I felt pretty damn good the whole time.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-08-20, 07:01 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Kept it Z2 out and back mostly. A couple of 8 to 10min efforts on the TT bike. I negative split the efforts since they ended on a hill to go for the leaderboard. Got on leaderboard, but they're crowned by guys who put out over 350 for 10min on one, and the other an entire collegiate team pacelined it to get it. I'll take 3rd and 4th.

Wattage was pretty good considering HR ramp. Felt a bit tough on the legs, but still holding a good bit of CTL and TSB negative right now. Also hadn't had dinner yet and just a Z-bar snack.

25.5mph over 4mi and 233 feet. Not bad at a HR well below my all-out TT effort. Just too windy to full out it. Had to coast a bit as a car or two passed. Other was 26mph over 8min and 150ft in 3 miles. No TT helmet, no disc or trispoke, old school CX style skinsuit.

One revelation is that it seems my power on the TT bike being lower than trainer output in same time duration is due to the time spent soft pedaling due to on-course skills management. Like, wind hitting you, taking a fast corner at lower power, etc.... There's only so much "over" you can go to make up for the "under" and average close to the same power as going dead-constant.

So, it seems the real life TT bike work is a great idea to work on that. It may "show" less impressive power, but the skills work and workout is still really good.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-08-20, 08:35 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Finally figured out the Kickr. Instead of messing with the levels or resistance, I need to just plug it in and go. Then it's similar to my regular fluid trainer.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-08-20, 09:44 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
Cypress My wife got a Garmin 830 as a replacement. Yesterday, on her TT bike, the Garmin calculated a new VO2max of 67.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-08-20, 10:52 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Cypress My wife got a Garmin 830 as a replacement. Yesterday, on her TT bike, the Garmin calculated a new VO2max of 67.
Yikes!
Old 05-09-20, 08:01 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
100k on Zwift, after an hour of yardwork and a 5k walk. Good day.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 05-09-20, 09:59 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Did I read that right? 15mi 4000 foot elevation RUN?

Wheeewwwww!
Yep. Still feeling some soreness from it 5 days later haha. https://www.strava.com/activities/3399740091

Wednesday rode the mtb at the bike park. Thursday the gym opened back up so I lifted some weights and did some rock climbing. Friday, got up hit the gym, skied (not much snow left.. ) and rock climbed. Today, 3.5 hr mtb ride. Finally hitting my stride this spring with working out.
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 05-10-20, 08:52 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
That was a day

Old 05-10-20, 09:11 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Ran 3 miles in the morning then went for a super mellow gravel ride. Such a beautiful day.
Old 05-10-20, 06:17 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Got a late call from a buddy asking to go for some spring ski mountaineering action. Loaded up the backpack and away we went this morning. 5k feet of climbing, most of it in boots and crampons, not on skis. I'm very sore, but we skied two absolutely spectacular lines. You can see the first in the middle of this image.
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 05-10-20, 06:30 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
9 hours for the week and Saturday we did the Santa Fe to Swamis ride 2 hours of endurance and Sunday, based upon Doge suggestion, we rode through Camp Pendleton to San Clemente and back - 2 hours of endurance. Solid week.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-10-20, 06:41 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
90% of the time when I'm too tired to ride its because of sleep the night prior. Today was one of those days where I was just physically spent from the day before.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 05-10-20, 11:30 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Finally fit enough to get half decent mileage in. Did 54 miles today. Fairly flat in the 2k+ range but still. I almost feel ready for some REAL weekend rides.

Also yesterday I got my wife out on the bike! Her bike has been ridden maybe a handful of times over the years. We did an easy 15 miles, out to the beach, some snacks and a beer, and back home. She didn't find it terrible and is up for more, yay! It helps that I'm so out of shape that my zone 1 is now easy enough for her.
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 05-11-20, 07:22 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
finished week 3 of SSB1 HV, so only 2 more weeks of work for this phase, and I'm not anticipating any gains from this go around. It's quality work but not sure if it's the right kind of stress, I do like to keep an eye on efficiency factor over my sweet spot intervals and that's been around 1.68-1.7 on those intervals and not really changing from the first week of this phase. Still a couple more weeks plus recovery, but I may need to wait until the higher volume SSB2 to make any additional gains (although there are some less measurable/obvious gains like muscular endurance and repeatability)
Old 05-11-20, 08:42 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 155 Posts
I bought a new bike (slightly larger), and overall it feels better, but my wrists are having a hard time. It has a 3cm longer reach to the hoods, which I'm sure is what is causing some minor wrist agitation, but I feel like it's also part of what makes my upper body feel more "open" and comfortable. Total drop from the seat to the bars is the same, and the seat tube angle is slightly more aggressive, which definitely gives my hips a more open feeling. Overall I'm faster because I can put down about 20 more watts while being as aero as possible. I've only ridden it a few times, so maybe I just need to get used to it, but I can't help but think I need to shorten the stem a bit.
Old 05-11-20, 03:14 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Quick question, It's been a while and I can't remember. I'm into my third week of the second block of training and my TSB has gone pretty far negative, around -40 to -45 this past week. How far negative do you guys go before you start to really notice fatigue set in and/or having sleep issues, get sick more often, etc? I have an interval workout planned tomorrow and Thursday, with a long group ride on Saturday, but that would drive my TSB well below -50.
Old 05-11-20, 05:23 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by procrit
Quick question, It's been a while and I can't remember. I'm into my third week of the second block of training and my TSB has gone pretty far negative, around -40 to -45 this past week. How far negative do you guys go before you start to really notice fatigue set in and/or having sleep issues, get sick more often, etc? I have an interval workout planned tomorrow and Thursday, with a long group ride on Saturday, but that would drive my TSB well below -50.
I hit -58 yesterday, but my CTL is still only 40 so it's not so bad. When my CTL was in the ~100 range, -40 TSB felt like hell.
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 05-11-20, 07:38 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

I’ll try to get some extra sleep tonight and just be as fresh as possible for tomorrow. It’s interesting, my legs don’t feel that great just sitting around the house, like I’ll stand up and my quads have lactic acid in them, but I feel pretty good on the bike and can actually put down power. I’m so ready for this week to be done haha.
Old 05-12-20, 06:59 AM
Phatman

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by procrit
I bought a new bike (slightly larger), and overall it feels better, but my wrists are having a hard time. It has a 3cm longer reach to the hoods, which I'm sure is what is causing some minor wrist agitation, but I feel like it's also part of what makes my upper body feel more "open" and comfortable. Total drop from the seat to the bars is the same, and the seat tube angle is slightly more aggressive, which definitely gives my hips a more open feeling. Overall I'm faster because I can put down about 20 more watts while being as aero as possible. I've only ridden it a few times, so maybe I just need to get used to it, but I can't help but think I need to shorten the stem a bit.
I've had some wrist issues in the past, and what made the difference for me was the rotation of the bars and/or the hood position. It was the style back in ~2004-2005ish when I first started racing to have the hoods really high up on the bars so of course I set mine up that way. I found that I got pain because my wrists were basically bent backwards. Anyways, I'd work on that first before messing with the stem, especially if you're on a new setup.

I think that if you shorten the stem, I'd accompany that with a rearward movement of your seat to shift the weight back a bit, though I'll bet the wattage increase is due to the more open hip angle. Have you tried the Steve Hogg method of taking your hands off the bars while you're in your normal riding position? Do you fall forward?
Old 05-12-20, 08:13 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
I think that if you shorten the stem, I'd accompany that with a rearward movement of your seat to shift the weight back a bit, though I'll bet the wattage increase is due to the more open hip angle. Have you tried the Steve Hogg method of taking your hands off the bars while you're in your normal riding position? Do you fall forward?
Saddle position should be set based on crank length, leg length and BB. It should not be used to adjust reach.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-12-20, 08:43 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

I have played with the seat position quite a bit. Sliding back definitely takes some pressure off of the hand, but i feel like I'm reaching way forward. Sliding it forward gets my upper body in a better position with relation to the bars but adds pressure to my wrists and today my left knee started bothering me after some intervals. I really just need a shorter reach unfortunately.

My vo2 intervals went well today though. I just did 3x4 min with 4 min rest between, skipped my fourth one because my knee started bothering me a little. The numbers show I'm getting stronger for sure.
Old 05-12-20, 08:45 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Saddle position should be set based on crank length, leg length and BB. It should not be used to adjust reach.
I think that's what caused my knee issue today. I slid the seat all the way forward and up a bit, but too much pressure on my wrists and legs...
Old 05-12-20, 11:27 AM
Phatman

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I said what I did because he mentioned he had moved his seat up and forward on the new bike with a steeper seat tube angle. Weight distribution is a really important part of a bike fit, and if he pushed the seat forward in an attempt to open the hip angle, it could've had the unintended side effect of placing more weight on his hands.

Also, FWIW (which is not a whole lot, I know) I've had knee problems with seats jacked way forwards AND way backwards. I've also been injury free with seats way forwards and way backwards. The two factors I've found to be most important are total extension and cleat position, both lateral and rotational.
Likes For Phatman:
Old 05-12-20, 12:02 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

The new bike also has longer cranks (175 vs what I normally ride 170-172.5), so that could be some of it too. Either way, the bike is definitely not going to work. My other two bikes are shorter on the top tube and overall reach, and I have zero issues with my knees or hands. My upper body feels a little more scrunched up, but it doesn't cause any discomfort on long rides.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.