Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Look X-Track Race vs SHIMANO PD-M520 Pedals

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-02-20, 11:07 AM
cvrle1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Hello everyone, looking into getting my 1st set of clipless pedals, and decided to go with SPD style. Looks to be a bit easier for newbies and I like that I can walk a bit easier in them than with SPD-SL style. I have 2 pedals that I am looking into, and was wondering which one I should go with.

Look X-Track Race or Shimano PD-M520. They both have great reviews, Look is a bit lighter and a bit wider platform, but it is almost double the cost of M520. There is also Look X-Track as well, which is few $ more than M520, but they are a bit heavier, smaller platform and not as good as Race model. Look is also compatible with Shimano SH-51/56 cleats, so thats not a deciding factor. If there is already a thread discussing this, please point me in the direction and I can read from there. Tried to find some, but was unsuccessful.

Thanks for the help
Old 09-02-20, 12:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
You picked two decent manufacturers. Do you want to pay more or less? If you have more than one bike, don't try to mix and match cleats and pedals, though some do well enough with other manufacturers stuff.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-02-20, 12:54 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
I actually have Look X-Tracks on my Lynskey, because I wanted to use the same shoes I already had - and I have Shimano PD-M5x0 on my Bianchi, which came off of my Giant mountain bike from high school.

The Shimanos have lasted thousands of miles across two bikes (and nearly 20 years), on both mountain and road. I've never had a problem with them.
The Looks have lasted about 1000 miles on one bike, and I have never had a problem with them.

A couple of years ago, I rented a bike that didn't come with pedals. I hastily bought a pair of Shimano PD-M5x0 (I can never remember if I got 520s, 530s, or 540s) to throw on the bike. No problem with those, either.

So really, I don't think you can make a bad choice. The SPD mechanism is pretty much bombproof - it was designed for MTB use, so road use is pretty easy. Have never had an issue with seizing, or any particular bearing issues (ie the pedal not flipping around when needed) on either set of pedals. One differentiator is that the Shimanos can be used with a pedal wrench, but the Looks require an allen key to get them tightened onto your crank. Once that's out of the way, I don't think there's a difference. Just make sure you have the cleat set up properly for your knees and you should be good to go on either one!
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 09-02-20, 01:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Oh.....a word of advice.

Make sure you clip out of at least one pedal when coming up to an intersection you might have to stop at!

Many of us have been there, thinking we could just pause and maybe track-stand if needed at intersections. Sometimes it doesn't work out and you'll feel like a tree being fell. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-02-20, 01:29 PM
cvrle1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Oh.....a word of advice.

Make sure you clip out of at least one pedal when coming up to an intersection you might have to stop at!

Many of us have been there, thinking we could just pause and maybe track-stand if needed at intersections. Sometimes it doesn't work out and you'll feel like a tree being fell. <grin>
Thanks for the tip. Yes I will definitely need to do a lot of practice of clipping in/out, as only pedals I used so far are flat.Want to minimize my chance of falling due to being clipped in as much as possible haha.