Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Off center drilled stem... or is it? Anyone dealt with this issue?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-21, 05:24 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts

So... I'm refurbing this old Fuji, and I want to do it with spending as little on it as possible. This is going to be my beater gravel bicycle, so, I want it to be nice, within the limits of spending time, but not money, on it. I noticed this Win stem, which is not catalog correct for the bicycle (I don't care about catalog correctness) has a flat surface, under the head of the securing bolt, which appears to be off-center? The edge appears almost under the bolt head on the left, but lots of flat is visible on the right. I tried to accurately measure the distance between the bolt center and the sides of stem, and I believe the bolt is centered, side-2-side, more or less. So, I think the off-center-ness is mainly the flat, and how it was originally machined. I'd like to re-shape the contour of the stem, near the bolt head hole, because I'm pretty sure every time I look down at the cockpit of this bike, that flat surface is going to bug me. Anyone done anything along these lines? Words of wisdom on how to proceed? Thanks in advance...

Old 04-09-21, 06:01 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
I had an SR stem with the SR stamping off center- John Thompson bought it- I’m sure it’s driving him bonkers every ride...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 04-10-21, 03:12 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
If the bolt as pictured is centred in the hole then the it looks to me as if the hole is offset. If you want the bolt to look centred you'll have to persuade it to stay over to one edge of the hole when it's tight, and if there's enough clearance between the bolt shaft and the hole that'll do (visually).

To get the bolt head over take a file and make the flat tilt slightly so when tightened the head slides down towards the side you want. If there isn't enough clearance uo could take a swiss file and give it a bit more where it's needed.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 04-10-21, 03:22 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Put tape or a sticker over it and call it good. Better yet, write "Look at the road" on a piece of paper and put water proof package tape over it. It just might save you a trip to the hospital or the dentist.
Old 04-10-21, 07:58 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Period European quality control on a Japanese part. How internationale.

functionally not an issue
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-10-21, 08:03 AM
uncle uncle

Originally Posted by oneclick
If the bolt as pictured is centred in the hole then the it looks to me as if the hole is offset. If you want the bolt to look centred you'll have to persuade it to stay over to one edge of the hole when it's tight, and if there's enough clearance between the bolt shaft and the hole that'll do (visually).

To get the bolt head over take a file and make the flat tilt slightly so when tightened the head slides down towards the side you want. If there isn't enough clearance uo could take a swiss file and give it a bit more where it's needed.
Thanks for the advice... I messed with a bit, and there is some play for the bolt shank, not much, but a little bit. I'll make sure the flat is actually flat, and not slanted and pushing the bolt to one position.

Last edited by uncle uncle; 04-10-21 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-10-21, 08:05 AM
uncle uncle

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Put tape or a sticker over it and call it good. Better yet, write "Look at the road" on a piece of paper and put water proof package tape over it. It just might save you a trip to the hospital or the dentist.
I'd only fixate on it a lot the first dozen or so times out... then I'd just unconsciously let it nag at me. Maybe a bell over it?
Likes For uncle uncle:
Old 04-10-21, 08:11 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
You should be able to do a file, then sandpaper, then polish. Just go slow so you don't take off more than necessary.

If it makes you feel any better, my actual René Herse is full of these sorts of things. I don't think there is a perfectly-centered hole anywhere on the bike! It really did make me feel better.
Old 04-10-21, 08:30 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
The curvature in the casting was likely not uniform. Not a problem. Follow @scarlson's advice to reprofile and polish it, then reassemble it.

-Kurt

Old 04-10-21, 10:11 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I'd only fixate on it a lot the first dozen or so times out... then I'd just unconsciously let it nag at me. Maybe a bell over it?
That's an even better idea.
Old 04-10-21, 12:36 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
It looks like there is a counter-bore that the head sits inside, so there's no fixing this!

As an oddity, it makes a certain statement about low-priced components and quality-control.

I wouldn't monkey with it, just make it look worse imo.
Likes For dddd:
Old 04-11-21, 10:07 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
This does not just happen with the cheap brands......
I had a Cinelli 1A stem with it's little, oval, pressed on engraving on top of the neck, off to one side. Otherwise the stem was close to perfect, NOS condition. At first I thought it was kinda neat, cause it gives the stem a sort of C&V character, but then it started to really distract perfectionist me while riding......so I went and bought a more "perfect" example to replace it....
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 04-11-21, 11:35 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
This does not just happen with the cheap brands......
I had a Cinelli 1A stem with it's little, oval, pressed on engraving on top of the neck, off to one side. Otherwise the stem was close to perfect, NOS condition. At first I thought it was kinda neat, cause it gives the stem a sort of C&V character, but then it started to really distract perfectionist me while riding......so I went and bought a more "perfect" example to replace it....
I had a Cinelli fork in which the brake holes were drilled about 15 degrees off line; they bent the brake-bolt so from the front it looked straight...now it has a stainless sleeve running between a pair of holes correctly located. I used to think it was just an early example (3-digit serial) but apparently those numbers are as inscrutable as Linear A.