Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Castelli bibs

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Castelli bibs

Old 04-29-21, 09:30 AM
Doomrider74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Castelli bibs

Does anyone have any experience of the real world differences between the Competizione and the Aero Race 4? The former are preferred because they're significantly cheaper, but are they significantly worse?

Also, I have disproportionately long thighs, so need 10.5-11 inch inseam, and can't seem to find a comparison between the 2 on this. I think the AR might be 11, but I can't find any figures for the Comp.
Old 04-29-21, 01:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Sorry, not direct comparison experience. I have some Free Race and Free Protect shorts (which have Progetto X2 Air chamois), and a pair of Castelli knickers (older) with a KissAir chamois. Not a huge difference but I prefer the X2 chamois; ymmv.

I don't really know how one measures a piece of clothing's inseam, but I don't think the Free Aero Race inseams are 11" -- less than that I'd say by a good margin and I have XL size. FWIW, competitive Cyclist lists the Competizione's inseam as 10" for a medium. Not sure how they measure these either.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-29-21, 02:00 PM
Doomrider74

Thanks. I might just have to order a few pairs and return the ones I don't want.
Old 04-29-21, 02:12 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
The Progretto X2 has completely spoiled me, all my other bottoms are sitting in the storage bin.

I measured the inseam on my Aero Race 4, they vary from 10-11" depending on how hard/tight you pull them up.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 04-29-21, 02:37 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
The Progretto X2 has completely spoiled me, all my other bottoms are sitting in the storage bin.

I measured the inseam on my Aero Race 4, they vary from 10-11" depending on how hard/tight you pull them up.
Thanks. I'll have to dig a bit deeper into the piggybank for the Aero Race
Old 04-29-21, 05:22 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Aero race is very snug. The Competizione is very comfortable. I'm a large in basically anything else but not those Aero Race bibs. I bought large. They fit. But it's careful tugging.

On the other hand, they are so nice that the tight fit isn't noticeable one on and I love the chamois.

I'm sold on Castelli and will buy several more Competizione for the comfort and probably one but Aero Race for when aero matters.
Old 04-29-21, 05:40 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
Aero race is very snug. The Competizione is very comfortable. I'm a large in basically anything else but not those Aero Race bibs. I bought large. They fit. But it's careful tugging.

On the other hand, they are so nice that the tight fit isn't noticeable one on and I love the chamois.

I'm sold on Castelli and will buy several more Competizione for the comfort and probably one but Aero Race for when aero matters.
+1 Free Aero Race if you're a fan of packaged goods.
Old 04-29-21, 05:51 PM
Doomrider74

Thanks, folks. I'm not too concerned about the aero side of things as its more the inseam length I'm after. I'd be happy to save the cash and go for the Comps if they are long enough, and the pad is good enough.