Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Conti GP 5000, Round 2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Conti GP 5000, Round 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-21, 01:44 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Conti GP 5000, Round 2

OK,the Power Roads are pretty worn, with one TWI gone and another nearly gone, so time to replace (for me). Going to give the Conti GP 5000s another shot. The long term test on BRR seems to indicate that my first try was an aberration, and not typical of the tire's durability. Hoping for the best. Off to the LBS tomorrow AM.
Old 06-13-21, 04:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
What didn't you like? Guess you must have a older post about it.

They seem to do well for me. As good or better than my Vittoria Rubino Pro's I had previously. No punctures in this last new set that I put on my Tarmac 3000 miles ago. Only one puncture on the set that's on my Paramount that probably have more mileage, but I don't have records of when I actually put them on it.

Cornering on the few really downhill twisty trails I can find here they do well on. And flying around a corner on the road I can pedal through the turn with power and confidence..... so far. Still worry about a pedal strike some as I seem to be taking turns faster and maybe banking more.

Mine are the tubed version FYI and FWIW
Old 06-13-21, 06:41 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by Iride01
What didn't you like? Guess you must have a older post about it.

They seem to do well for me. As good or better than my Vittoria Rubino Pro's I had previously. No punctures in this last new set that I put on my Tarmac 3000 miles ago. Only one puncture on the set that's on my Paramount that probably have more mileage, but I don't have records of when I actually put them on it.

Cornering on the few really downhill twisty trails I can find here they do well on. And flying around a corner on the road I can pedal through the turn with power and confidence..... so far. Still worry about a pedal strike some as I seem to be taking turns faster and maybe banking more.

Mine are the tubed version FYI and FWIW
I had durability issues. One blowout and a couple of flats. Love the ride and handling, but, well...

Anyway, your experience is what I'm looking for.
Old 06-14-21, 05:15 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've been using tubeful GP5000 32mm on my road bike for 3 years now. The only flats I've gotten in about 8,000 miles have been wire shard punctures - three of those and two were slow leaks that didn't impact the ride. I've never found any "supple/fast" tires that stopped wire shards. The GP5000s seem pretty impervious to glass ever getting thru the belt.

I've gotten about 2k miles out of them (on the rear) before the wear indicators are close to disappearing - I don't push mileage on tires anymore.

They are also the easiest to get on of any tires I've tried in many years - with the Schwalbes I use on my gravel/touring bike, I pretty much have to carry a bead jack - those are nearly impossible to get by hand in the comfort of my garage, let alone on the side of the road.
Old 06-14-21, 06:42 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10153 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
I have a set of 25s, which I put on in early March 2020 and which must gone well over 10,000 mi by now. The wear dimples are still just visible on the rear. I've had no punctures, just a couple of pinch flats from deliberate under-inflation. I don't weigh much and rarely lock up the brakes, but I think that's pretty good durability!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-14-21, 07:05 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I have a set of 25s, which I put on in early March 2020 and which must gone well over 10,000 mi by now. The wear dimples are still just visible on the rear. I've had no punctures, just a couple of pinch flats from deliberate under-inflation. I don't weigh much and rarely lock up the brakes, but I think that's pretty good durability!
Over 10K miles? I mean no disrespect, but that sure sounds hard to believe. However, I'll be mounting them later today and hoping I can come even close to what you've experienced!
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 06-14-21, 07:25 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10153 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Over 10K miles? I mean no disrespect, but that sure sounds hard to believe. However, I'll be mounting them later today and hoping I can come even close to what you've experienced!
You're not the only one who finds it hard to believe. Unfortunately, I don't have my mileage broken down by bike, so I can't give precise numbers, but "working" from home has freed up a lot of training time, the vast majority of which was on that bike. Based on the grand total of about 8k, I figure about 6k outdoors for calendar 2020. Mar-Mar must have been higher because of the pandemic. Then add Mar-Jun 2021 and it's got to be real close to 10. Even if I'm off by a grand or two, that's pretty good.

It helps to weigh in the low 140s.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-14-21, 09:51 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
You're not the only one who finds it hard to believe. Unfortunately, I don't have my mileage broken down by bike, so I can't give precise numbers, but "working" from home has freed up a lot of training time, the vast majority of which was on that bike. Based on the grand total of about 8k, I figure about 6k outdoors for calendar 2020. Mar-Mar must have been higher because of the pandemic. Then add Mar-Jun 2021 and it's got to be real close to 10. Even if I'm off by a grand or two, that's pretty good.

It helps to weigh in the low 140s.
I think my weight, 175, is a big factor. Combine that with some hills and, well, the rear tire usually wears down pretty quickly. Except for those GP 4 Seasons. They seem to last forever.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 06-14-21, 10:39 AM
catchey
Wheel Sucker

Bikes: Serotta Ottro, Guerchotti Team Force, Bianchi Pista, Gunnar Roadie Coupler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched over from Michelin Pro 4, . Durability of the Conti 5000 much much better, and they are faster. Combine with latex tubes and its about as good as it gets. I weigh in at about 165, running 25mm on ENVE 6.5 clinchers. The tread separated from the casing on my Michelins riding in the heat of Florida, so those have durability issues. Conti 5000's no complaint here
Old 06-14-21, 12:35 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I just replaced mine they had about 6000 miles and the wear indicators just finally disappearing. I pretty sure i could have gotten another 1000 to 1500 miles on them but why take a chance rubber is what is on the road and it is not a bad thing to have good rubber. I can get 5500-7500 out of them easy with one rotate front to back at about 2000 miles.
Old 06-15-21, 07:07 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
GP5Ks and latex tubes for me, no punctures in over two years (multiple sets of tires, I rode over 12k miles last year).
Old 06-17-21, 06:55 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I stocked up on 7-8 of the older 25mm 4000s just in case though I'll prob move to tubeless soon. I ran into the Conti rep for this area. He said they had made the tire slightly thinner. I found that weird. Why mess with a good thing? The 4000s were stellar. Anyway, he said they had no sidewall issues or anything like that but it does appear that the 5000 is slightly more prone to punctures.
Old 06-18-21, 01:20 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
was a michelin pro 4 guy before the conti gp 5000's and was happy with them but bought a pair for a vintage nishiki build
in may 2020 to see what all the hype was about. have since slapped conti gp 5000's on the other three road bikes. love
love the conti gp 5000's. rocking the '23's for all four bikes (with tubes) and have had two flats total (on different bikes)
in a year and approx 6,000 miles. roads around san diego highly mixed in terms of quality and have taken the tires on
the occasional mile, or four, of gravel dirt w/o regret. like the neil diamond composition/monkees song...i'm a believer.

they ain't cheap (probikekit.com does flash sales on them approx every month tho) but, imho, they're worth it for the
speed, feel, response and durability. $20 pricier (on sale) than the michelin pro 4's but happy enough with them to pay the difference.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-18-21 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-18-21, 05:54 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I used to ride with a guy who constantly got flats and complained about every brand/make of tire he ever had. He never missed an opportunity to ride in the road sweep on the shoulder that literally looked like a yard sale for glass, wire, wheel weights and everything else. As far as accelerated wear goes, lower pressures can cause more heat/wear. I'm not saying this is the case with the OP, but sometimes it isn't the tire, it's the pilot
Old 06-18-21, 03:37 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by nomadmax
I used to ride with a guy who constantly got flats and complained about every brand/make of tire he ever had. He never missed an opportunity to ride in the road sweep on the shoulder that literally looked like a yard sale for glass, wire, wheel weights and everything else. As far as accelerated wear goes, lower pressures can cause more heat/wear. I'm not saying this is the case with the OP, but sometimes it isn't the tire, it's the pilot
I do pay attention to road conditions. Well, not so much when riding the GP 4 Season tires, but with everything else, yes. I don't look for trouble. Only one flat this year due to some road debris that was unavoidable. Not the tire's fault at all. Taking the 5000s out for the first time tomorrow. Should be fun.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 06-18-21, 03:38 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by Chandne
I stocked up on 7-8 of the older 25mm 4000s just in case though I'll prob move to tubeless soon. I ran into the Conti rep for this area. He said they had made the tire slightly thinner. I found that weird. Why mess with a good thing? The 4000s were stellar. Anyway, he said they had no sidewall issues or anything like that but it does appear that the 5000 is slightly more prone to punctures.
If you do move to tubeless, avoid Stan's sealant. It's pure evil.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 06-18-21, 04:03 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
If you do move to tubeless, avoid Stan's sealant. It's pure evil.
What's the issue with Stans? I've used it on one bike for about a year with no problems. It sealed half a dozen leaks in the rear tire over about a year.
Old 06-18-21, 04:06 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 3,559 Times in 1,789 Posts
As far as accelerated wear goes, lower pressures can cause more heat/wear.
I suspect that accelerated wear from lower pressures is more of a car thing, where heating levels and temperatures can be high.

Not much heating going on in a bike tire.

Old 06-18-21, 04:52 PM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
replaced my Corsa G+ with GP5000s, these are my new favorite tyres!
Old 06-18-21, 05:20 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
What's the issue with Stans? I've used it on one bike for about a year with no problems. It sealed half a dozen leaks in the rear tire over about a year.
You're one of the very few road cyclists with a positive take on Stan's. Most find that it doesn't work well at road tire pressures. I actually suspect that much of the pushback on road tubeless is because of people using Stan's.
Old 06-18-21, 09:31 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I prefer Orange Seal (regular) over Stan's now, though I have used both a ton over the last few years. Stan's works well at lower pressures but I still think Orange Seal has the edge.
Old 06-19-21, 02:39 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
You're one of the very few road cyclists with a positive take on Stan's. Most find that it doesn't work well at road tire pressures. I actually suspect that much of the pushback on road tubeless is because of people using Stan's.
I use them on 28mm tires so not very high pressure. Don’t really need it on my summer bike.
Old 06-19-21, 04:46 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I suspect that accelerated wear from lower pressures is more of a car thing, where heating levels and temperatures can be high.

Not much heating going on in a bike tire.
Hysteresis is very real, in all tires; it is the primary cause of rolling resistance. Exaggerated tire case deformation (due to lower tire pressures below intended engineering spec) will indeed produce heat and can cause accelerated wear.

Last edited by nomadmax; 06-19-21 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-19-21, 08:58 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 3,559 Times in 1,789 Posts
Hysteresis is very real, in all tires; it is the primary cause of rolling resistance. Exaggerated tire case deformation (due to lower tire pressures below intended engineering spec) will indeed produce heat and can cause accelerated wear.
Yes, hysteresis is real.
Yes, it raises the temperature of a tire.
Yes, a hot tire is softer and more susceptible to wear.
Yes, a low tire pressure will produce more hysteresis heating.

No, this increased hysteresis heating will not cause accelerated wear in a bike tire.

The heat of a bike tire is tiny, less than 20 watts. There is no way that 20 watts is going to raise a tire's temperature enough to make it so soft that it will wear prematurely.

Old 06-19-21, 11:28 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by gregf83
I flatted out with a tubeless tire when I hit a pothole and broke the bead. No choice but to use a tube. Ths sealant then "welded" the tube to the tire making it impossible to use the tire as a tubeless tire again, unless you left a ton of tube stuck to the tire. It was a mess. Also, I accidentally spilled a little on the garage floor, and then threw some newspaper on it to avoid stepping in it. It's still there. Hate the stuff.