Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about Leg Shaving

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Question about Leg Shaving

Old 07-15-21, 11:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
When I was on blood thinners (Eliquis) for about 6 months due to clots in both lungs (side effect of Stage 4 Lung Cancer), small cuts seems to bleed forever, so I was scared to ride and fall and get unknown internal bleeding, so my riding was dramatically reduce at that time.

I've been on Eliquis since last election day, and just resumed long distance riding a couple months ago. I'm probably on a lower dose than you, because my cuts do clot fairly normally, just take a little tiny it longer.

I didn't have the cancer, but I can tell you I'm not a fan of bilateral lung blood clots. They messed me up good.
Old 07-15-21, 11:12 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I sit in the tube the first time and use cartridges that I’ve saved up over the winter when they got too full for the face.
I prefer to do a knock-down with electric clippers... and then sit in the tub, shaving and singing, "I feel pretty! Oh, so pretty!"
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-15-21, 11:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

I always shave before going to anyone that might do an EKG or similar test on me. Shears that you use for haircuts are more than close enough. I use those height combs on them that leave about a 1/4 inch. That seems to not pull as bad if it's that or shorter.
When I was hospitalized for three days back in November I was on constant heart monitoring. They used industrial strength patches. The large, round ones. Talk about painful to remove. Left some spots on the chest hairless. Definitely thought of that film scene.
Old 07-15-21, 11:23 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That's beside the point, the real issue is the reduction in drag figures for the item in question, for example one kind of skin suit vs. tight-fitting clothing. The formula you linked, like all formulas, is clearly vulnerable to gi/go. Manufacturers and marketers have every incentive in the world to make it look like the stuff they're selling has a noticeable effect, so if you use their equipment and methods for measuring the effects of anything including shaving, they may have built-in assumptions that grossly overstate the number being multiplied. You think it's just simple math to verify the .02 reduction figure you used for shaving? I saw that figure given as a result of a wind tunnel experiment done by Specialized, is that where you got it? Obviously, the closer that number is to zero, the less the differential in time at various speeds, so if Specialized's methods err on the high side, that's going to cook things in ways your "simple math" won't detect..
The question became not whether shaved legs offer an advantage but whether any reduction in CdA benefits a slower rider. A slower rider benefits more in time, that was my key point.

I have actually measured these sorts of things myself. Every change I make, I measure. Of course GI/GO is a problem. If you don't believe specialized wind tunnel data, ok. Google Swiss Side, they also measured it. It is pretty easy to measure the change in CdA from one helmet to another or one jersey to another. Once you have change in CdA, estimating the change in speed or time is easy.

Specialized isn't the only one to measure the effect of shaved legs. I have seen more like 8W. Specialized results surprised me as I said.
Old 07-15-21, 11:27 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
The nurses or assistants at my cardiologist must be sadists. If I don't shave my chest before going, they don't shave at all. So it's sort of like Steve Carrel's character in The 40-Year-Old Virgin. Go to 2:10 if it doesn't start at that time:

https://youtu.be/rQ9-pJQtodQ?t=130

I always shave before going to anyone that might do an EKG or similar test on me. Shears that you use for haircuts are more than close enough. I use those height combs on them that leave about a 1/4 inch. That seems to not pull as bad if it's that or shorter.
At the time, I think I read an interview with Steve Carell about that scene. Those women weren't actors -- they were salon workers. And they waxed him for real. Talk about suffering for your art.
Old 07-15-21, 11:31 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by joeruge
I've heard of two reasons why pro's shave their legs and neither reason is because it makes them more aerodynamic. (There maybe some evidence that hairy legs actually increase aerodynamics; the hair my hold a boundary layer of air. Think of dimpled golf balls. Also several riders in this year's Tour are sporting beards. If hair really affected aero, those guys would probably shave. And there's Pocacar's hair sticking out of his helmet all over the place)

The first is to help with road rash and scabs. A second reason I've heard is to make it easier for the masseuse that travels with pro teams to give them their after ride rub down. Since few of us mortals have a masseuse on retainer, I think that excuse for shaving goes away.
You don't need an excuse, you can do it just because you want to. Some of us mortals have already given our reasons, including ease of sunscreen/embrocation application, preemptive wound care, lack of pulling from elastic grippers, aesthetics, comfort, and tradition.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-15-21, 11:37 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Koyote
I've known Ashton since way back before he was famous, even before he had the 'stache. He regards it as a mojo thing. Aerodynamics aside, he'd be slower without it.

Most people take "marginal" to mean "small," but in my field is just refers to any quantifiable change from the status quo. I tend to view those things in terms of benefit vs cost: for instance, fancy aero wheels might cost a fortune, but an aero jersey costs far less - and I need a new jersey every now and then anyway. So, that one is a no-brainer.
Positioning is free, you just have to take the time to measure. I can quantify relatively small aero changes, about 0.03 m^2. It just takes discipline to do it. It is free. Most would consider that small change to be marginal in the cycling world.

How much to spend for 1 watt is a good question. How many hours does it take to improve the engine 1 watt? What happens when the engine can't get any stronger but only weaker? It is all a tradeoff. I worked my tail off one year to gain a lousy 11 watts. How much would someone spend for 11 watts? Some won't spend a penny, for others money is no object. Helmets are not too expensive and they offer potentially a reasonable gain but the problem? A helmet that works well on me might be a drag for you. I probably have over $1000 of helmets laying around or about what an entry level set of fast carbon wheels run. Selecting the wrong front tire can be disastrous and that is a freebie, too.

How high to shave? I go just above where my casual shorts would sit.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-15-21, 11:47 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by joeruge
I've heard of two reasons why pro's shave their legs and neither reason is because it makes them more aerodynamic. (There maybe some evidence that hairy legs actually increase aerodynamics; the hair my hold a boundary layer of air. Think of dimpled golf balls. Also several riders in this year's Tour are sporting beards. If hair really affected aero, those guys would probably shave. And there's Pocacar's hair sticking out of his helmet all over the place)

The first is to help with road rash and scabs. A second reason I've heard is to make it easier for the masseuse that travels with pro teams to give them their after ride rub down. Since few of us mortals have a masseuse on retainer, I think that excuse for shaving goes away.
Different boundary effects. A golf ball may leave the clubface at 180+ mph. (Don't tell Zipp's brilliant marketing but I suspect they know their audience...)

It isn't hard to self massage, just elevate the legs against a wall and massage away.

Beards are not the same as legs. Aerodynamics are funny that way. Specialized's video commentator said that beard vs no beard was essentially identical. The data was on the screen, you can see for yourself.

Old 07-15-21, 12:21 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
The more I read some of these responses, the more I believe that some of you just have a shaving fetish. Nothing wrong with that if that's your thing, but grown men spending who knows how long to shave their legs on a regular basis in order to save half a second applying sunscreen....or to prevent some kind of road rash issue (seriously, how often are some of you crashing???)....or simply because you think it makes your legs look pretty.... I mean, OK I guess.
Likes For pgjackson:
Old 07-15-21, 12:30 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
....or simply because you think it makes your legs look pretty....
We don't think they look pretty - we know that they do.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-15-21, 12:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
The question became not whether shaved legs offer an advantage but whether any reduction in CdA benefits a slower rider. A slower rider benefits more in time, that was my key point.

I have actually measured these sorts of things myself. Every change I make, I measure. Of course GI/GO is a problem. If you don't believe specialized wind tunnel data, ok. Google Swiss Side, they also measured it. It is pretty easy to measure the change in CdA from one helmet to another or one jersey to another. Once you have change in CdA, estimating the change in speed or time is easy.

Specialized isn't the only one to measure the effect of shaved legs. I have seen more like 8W. Specialized results surprised me as I said.

I understand that CdA is easy to calculate based on shape, but I don't think there's any way it's simple to calculate based on texture, which is a really micro-level.

Ultimately, though, I think the "bigger benefit for the slower rider" is still sales claptrap. I don't think people topping out at 15 mph are really being held back significantly by small variations in wind resistance, but generally topping out at a speed they're comfortable with. They're generally not doing the big things to reduce air resistance. Seriously, how many people do you see in a tuck riding at 15 mph on flat ground?.
Old 07-15-21, 12:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The more I read some of these responses, the more I believe that some of you just have a shaving fetish. Nothing wrong with that if that's your thing, but grown men spending who knows how long to shave their legs on a regular basis in order to save half a second applying sunscreen....or to prevent some kind of road rash issue (seriously, how often are some of you crashing???)....or simply because you think it makes your legs look pretty.... I mean, OK I guess.

I don't care about shaving legs much one way or another, but boy did you lose me with this post. Sheesh, talk about selective reading....

If you ride several thousand miles a year, pretty good odds you'll get a spot of road rash once in a while.
Old 07-15-21, 12:39 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
​​​​​

References to a classic and hilarious movie, the Big Lebowski:

That's just, like, your opinion, man

Donny, you're out of your element!
A must see if there's a funny bone in your soul anywhere.
Old 07-15-21, 12:47 PM
pgjackson

I don't care about shaving legs much one way or another, but boy did you lose me with this post. Sheesh, talk about selective reading....

If you ride several thousand miles a year, pretty good odds you'll get a spot of road rash once in a while.
Enough that it makes sense to keep your legs shaved year round? I'll take the risk.
Old 07-15-21, 12:49 PM
GhostRider62

I understand that CdA is easy to calculate based on shape, but I don't think there's any way it's simple to calculate based on texture, which is a really micro-level.

Ultimately, though, I think the "bigger benefit for the slower rider" is still sales claptrap. I don't think people topping out at 15 mph are really being held back significantly by small variations in wind resistance, but generally topping out at a speed they're comfortable with. They're generally not doing the big things to reduce air resistance. Seriously, how many people do you see in a tuck riding at 15 mph on flat ground?.
I did not say calculate CdA. There are a variety of ways to measure on the road. The easiest and most accurate is using the RChung method. You can Google it if you want measure your aero profiles and changes to kit, bike, position, etc.

I seriously do not understand your arguments. Who tucks at 15 mph? Who even suggested that? The fact that you still think ""bigger benefit for the slower rider" is still sales claptrap" tells me you have not really looked at the evidence presented. Who races at 15 mph? OP sounds like a sportif or racer type rider. Nonetheless, there are significant aero benefits to harvest even at the modest speed of 15 mph.

I am not going to respond anymore to you, so, good luck to you.
Old 07-15-21, 01:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I did not say calculate CdA. There are a variety of ways to measure on the road. The easiest and most accurate is using the RChung method. You can Google it if you want measure your aero profiles and changes to kit, bike, position, etc.

I seriously do not understand your arguments. Who tucks at 15 mph? Who even suggested that? The fact that you still think ""bigger benefit for the slower rider" is still sales claptrap" tells me you have not really looked at the evidence presented. Who races at 15 mph? OP sounds like a sportif or racer type rider. Nonetheless, there are significant aero benefits to harvest even at the modest speed of 15 mph.

I am not going to respond anymore to you, so, good luck to you.
I didn't pull 15 mph out from a hat, you said that was about where the effect clicked in. It's also the number a lot of the sales pitches/"studies" you've been linking to seem to coalesce on I'm sure it makes sense to talk about comparative benefits between lower-20s riders and mid-20s, but I'm questioning the bottom end of the logic. If you're saying something as broad as the slower the rider, the greater the benefit, then yes you are saying something that should apply across types of riders

Most of the stuff you've linked to seems to be trying to sell racing-type gear to 15 mph riders, yeah I tend to think that's marketing claptrap.
Old 07-15-21, 01:14 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
Gosh, we've never discussed this before.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 07-15-21, 01:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Enough that it makes sense to keep your legs shaved year round? I'll take the risk.

Don't think anyone's trying to convince you to do that. I ride several thousands of miles a year and don't do that, but I don't accuse people who say they do it for that reason of being fetishists.

And if you're going to go the "you can't take a joke" route now, remember, the first thing you needed to do for that move was actually be funny.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-15-21, 01:21 PM
pgjackson

Don't think anyone's trying to convince you to do that. I ride several thousands of miles a year and don't do that, but I don't accuse people who say they do it for that reason of being fetishists.

And if you're going to go the "you can't take a joke" route now, remember, the first thing you needed to do for that move was actually be funny.
It is a fetish for some people. Not all, but some.
Old 07-15-21, 01:42 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.
You're out of your element!
Not sure what that means. I'm an avid road cyclist and chose to not shave.
pgjackson , you may be an avid road cyclist, but you're obviously not a golfer.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-15-21, 01:47 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
To you guys that shave... how high to you go? And do you "manscape?".
Yes, I shave all my body hair with the exception of my eyebrows.
Old 07-15-21, 01:51 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by Koyote
pgjackson , you may be an avid road cyclist, but you're obviously not a golfer.
Guilty!
Old 07-15-21, 03:10 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Five pages! Up next from the "new" member- Question about Chain Lube.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-15-21, 03:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Leg shaving and hair removal is a feminine trait...There is really no good reason for a man to shave his legs
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-15-21, 03:45 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Leg shaving and hair removal is a feminine trait...There is really no good reason for a man to shave his legs
I dated a girl that didn't shave her legs.... and she was ALL WOMAN.
Likes For GlennR:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.