Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

jeweler's lighted headlamp my new favorite gizmo

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-21, 02:35 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

I just love the precision of most Shimano parts when I rebuild them (hubs, pedals). Once I disassemble something though, I realized how intricate the mechanisms are and how being impatient or overlooking the orientation of tiny parts could have untoward consequences. Now that I wear bifocals, I have more difficulty focusing on close up details. It really helps if I can visualize tiny details and this helps me comprehend how something can be re-built average or re-built to near perfection.

I bought my LED lighted (jeweler's) headlamp on sale at Woodcraft. It comes with a a box with different magnifiers that can be used individually or in pairs for maximum magnification. So far I have just used the 3x magnifier and it works well. Combined with my little Pedro's micro grease gun the precision application of little beads of grease right where you need it cuts down on waste and makes subassemblies and fasteners go together much stronger/quieter. I like to eliminate creaks and squeaks on my road bikes and greasing individual bolts and verifying that they are installed correctly by using the magnifier has already paid dividends by making my bikes look and ride better (stronger and quieter).
Anybody else using a jeweler's magnifier or other "miniaturized" type of tools from other disciplines to aid in you classic and vintage repair/rebuilding projects? The next logical challenge I might take on is to rebuild some Dura Ace 7700 brifters that are not shifting crisply like they should.

Last edited by masi61; 07-23-21 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-23-21, 03:22 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
masi61 is this the one?

2-Way Headband Magnafier
Old 07-23-21, 03:25 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
That would be the one - yes! I think these are a good value for sure. I found that the LED headlight is dim compared with my much brighter LED headlamp I normally use but this magnifier works just fine in regular day light or with the big LED spot light I am using now in my basement near my work stand.
Old 07-23-21, 03:53 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I bought this one off Amazon and it's very useful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T4KPYN2/
Likes For Nessism:
Old 07-23-21, 04:33 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
The next logical challenge I might take on is to rebuild some Dura Ace 7700 brifters that are not shifting crisply like they should.
Whoo! I consider myself a master DYI guy and I don't have the guts to take on such a project. That said, I haven't researched the idea either. What I do know is that I've got some 7800 shifters that gum up every time they sit inactive for 6 months or so. Some fresh grease would do them wonders. Anyway, GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-23-21, 04:53 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by Nessism
Whoo! I consider myself a master DYI guy and I don't have the guts to take on such a project. That said, I haven't researched the idea either. What I do know is that I've got some 7800 shifters that gum up every time they sit inactive for 6 months or so. Some fresh grease would do them wonders. Anyway, GOOD LUCK!
Yeah, thanks. More of a winter project. I might start with my "dead" rear 9 speed dura ace 7700 shifter (the one I made non-functional when I crashed into a fellow club member last year) and do a disassembly where I use the magnifier and take detailed photos of the springs/clips/bushings/pawls, etc... I know there was a Shimano shifter rebuilder who would undertake re-builds on some of Shimano's more utilitarian brifters like the RSX, 600, and early 105 shifters. I know that some amount of rebuilding beyond basic degumming/degreasing/re-greasing is possible.
Old 07-23-21, 05:39 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
I use one in the bedroom.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-23-21, 10:52 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
I've had a 10x jewelers loup in my kit for ages.