Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

BMX Bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 01:51 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
BMX Bars

Anybody out there like BMX bars as much as I do ?
I’ve found they take almost all of the pressure off my hands , which at my age and with arthritis in both hands helps extend my rides .
And the way they feel and look doesn’t hurt either .
They take me back to my youth , even though I never owned a Schwinn Stingray or a real BMX bike .
I did have an old “ English” bike I put together from parts thrown away by others , that I put “ high rise “ handlebars on .
Single Speeds and BMX bars , what more could one want in a bike ? 😎

Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-12-21, 07:44 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Haven’t ran BMX bars since I rode BMX bikes.

Not opposed to trying it out.

Have put a riser bar (2 or 3”) on one BSO. Liked it. Current BSO seems to have a bit of a narrow margin between wheelie and spinning out going up hill off-road. So might be awhile before I can give honest thoughts on bar rise.

Curious about trying a 5” rise cruiser bar.
Old 08-12-21, 08:06 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
I haven't done BMX bars since I was a kid.

My current bikes have 80mm rise mtn bars in search of a more upright riding position but I have to cut them down because mtn bars are so wide these days. I wouldn't be opposed to trying BMX bars.

Those look great! I wouldn't mind doing that to my old Rockhopper but doing a single speed conversion scares me.

Edit: SS conversion doesn't scare me because of the bike becoming a SS but because I've never done a conversion before and I'd probably mess it up.

Last edited by rumstove; 08-12-21 at 08:15 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-12-21, 10:09 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
At 70 years young , it’s all about being comfortable and having an easy riding form of exercise and I’ve found this to be my best setup .
Riding SS , especially with the gearing I’m using takes some getting use to and some patience.
Some are geared so low that I have to wait until my speed drops below 8-9mph before pedaling does any good .
But I’ve found I can spin up hills at a faster pace than I do on a multi geared bike .
Old 08-13-21, 07:30 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Originally Posted by rumstove
I haven't done BMX bars since I was a kid.

My current bikes have 80mm rise mtn bars in search of a more upright riding position but I have to cut them down because mtn bars are so wide these days. I wouldn't be opposed to trying BMX bars.

Those look great! I wouldn't mind doing that to my old Rockhopper but doing a single speed conversion scares me.

Edit: SS conversion doesn't scare me because of the bike becoming a SS but because I've never done a conversion before and I'd probably mess it up.
It's not complicated if you have a cassette hub. The main considerations are deciding on gearing (32/20 is a good place to start), spacing the rear cog for a straight chainline and getting the chain cut properly (knowing that you may need a tension system or a half-link) if the bike has vertical dropouts. For me, it brought back the early days of MTB since I needed to develop new skills in order to ascend hills and keep up with my friends on geared bikes, then I got old 20 or so years and miles of fun later, so now only ride SS occasionally.
Likes For 2old:
Old 08-14-21, 02:27 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have BMX bars on three of my bikes: a klunker, a BMX cruiser, and a mountain bike. My only objection to a lot of BMX bars is that they're too narrow. Once you try some 29" or 30" bars, you'll never go back to anything smaller. I'm also a fan of the "cruiser" height of 6" or less. Modern BMX bars are now 11" tall, which is great for 20" bikes, but not for much else. IMO, YMMV, etc.

Likes For Rolla: