Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Newbie bike recommendations? short and heavy!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-21, 06:31 PM
PapaEZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hello everyone, I've just got the cycling bug again after two decades. I ordered a box store mountain bike, a Kent Northpoint (24") to get me riding again. At 5'2"-5'3" and 295lbs I figured this would make an ok starter/beater bike until I get into better shape and save up for something better. I've already changed the saddle and am waiting on a setback seat post, a 4" stem riser and some bullhorn bar ends. I don't want to put anymore money into this bike than I have to, but I have a feeling bearings will be an issue and will only repair as needed from here on out until I find something better. Unfortunately I don't know much about "good" bikes, as my old Huffy 10 speed was my best bike from when I rode as a teenager twenty some years ago. I'm not looking to buy immediately, but would like to save up and get something nice in the spring. Uses would be for casual riding, possibly towing a child trailer and two mile commute (4 mile round trip) to work with some hills, If I get the new job. I live in upstate NY in a rural area and plan on riding until the winter really kicks in. I just may ride then, pending on the road conditions/snow depth (with the Kent mtb). Would like something a bit lighter but not too concerned with going ultra light, at least while I'm of heavy weight. Still working on building strength and endurance.

I guess I should ask, at what price point can one get a decent bike of quality build or what brands should I look at? E-bikes have been recommended by people I know, but I would like to use my own energy. Most bikes with 700c wheels seem to be too tall for me. I've mostly ridden mountain bikes with 24" or 26" wheels.

Thanks for reading, take care.
Old 09-13-21, 08:02 PM
tdipail

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 14 Posts
A small frame (15" or 16") 26" mountain bike like this Specialized Hardrock is what I would consider the minumum entry point level. A totally rigid bike would be even better. (skip anything with rear suspension!)

There are used options too. I found this small frame, late 90's GT for $200. The brakes,cables and tires needed to be replaced but the frame is beefy and worth building upon. But for 275+ a bike like this would need better, stronger wheels (easily sourced on ebay)

good luck with your quest!
Likes For tdipail:
Old 09-14-21, 06:22 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
The old standard recomendation of the Specialized Hardrock is still a good one. You will want a small (15 inch) frame 26inch mountain bike. You can swap the tires for slicks in the summer and studded tires for ice in the winter. The bike market is still difficult for buyers at the moment. New bikes are starting to show up, but you need to be on a waiting list. Used bikes are still sky high generally, but if you watch and are quick you may be able to pick something up locally.
Old 09-14-21, 08:19 AM
PapaEZ

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for the input. I have read of people riding specialized bikes, though as a newbie/"outsider" I didn't know Specialized was a brand and not a specialized (custom) bike. Haha. There are two bike shops within 45 minutes of my location, I'll have to make a trip and see what they have and get an idea of pricing. Finding a solid mountain bike with regular forks (non suspension) seems nearly impossible these days. I see options in general are currently limited also. Buying used is an option I hadn't considered, I'll have to ask around.

So again, thanks for the suggestions. Take it easy.
Old 09-16-21, 09:47 AM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
I am your height, just a little lighter. Both my bikes are Cannondale, one 48cm Synapse road bike and the other a small (as small as they made) F5 mountain bike. Both handle everything I throw at them. The mtb has front shocks, and I would not want it any other way, personally. I would suggest whatever route you go, get a professional bike fitting, it can really help to get your bike configured properly to start off with. If you buy from a shop, ask if they offer that.