Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or are others embarrassed?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Is it just me or are others embarrassed?

Old 07-15-09, 10:21 AM
turtlewoman

Bikes: Peugeot something 1975

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
WOW! Let me just make that a little more clear---WOWIE!
You guys and gals are so great. I love each of your posts. I do worry about people's reactions to me on a bike but I think with a little encouragement from you guys and my real world friends I'll be ok. Today I'm going to PT (had a meniscus tear repaired a few weeks ago) on my bike but I'm going to leave home 30 minutes early so I can get in some extra riding. I don't have any cycling shorts yet but you can bet if I had them I'd wear them. Thank you, thank you, thank you for being so great and welcoming.
Likes For turtlewoman:
Old 07-15-09, 10:32 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
No problem, turtlewoman! Hey, my wife is doing th PT thing for her shoulder. She traumatized her rotator cuff, and may have a tear. The problem is that they can't image it due to a procedure she had done called embolization to reduce bleeding when she had a tumor removed from the temporal region of her brain and ear canal, so all the platinum they used to block the blood vessels create a big white patch in the images.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-15-09, 10:49 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I could remember who the poster was who had a quote in his signature that said something along the lines of (paraphrasing here): "The general populace's tolerance for bicycle shorts decreases proportionately with increased distance from ones bike". Or something like that.
Old 07-15-09, 10:55 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
turtlewoman, remember, the clothes are a tool for greater comfort riding. You can always throw a loose set of shorts on over the padded lycra......and still get the benefits of the muscle support and wicking without "letting it all hang out". There will come a oint though, where you simply quit caring about others and realize that the folk that come off with the "OMG, a FAT PERSON IN LYCRA!" have their own issues, and their views simply don't matter. Then you start to look good in the lycra, too, as time goes on.
+1..... and if it helps to start with, mountain bike shorts may be a "training wheel" option

Old 07-15-09, 11:15 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bautieri
I wish I could remember who the poster was who had a quote in his signature that said something along the lines of (paraphrasing here): "The general populace's tolerance for bicycle shorts decreases proportionately with increased distance from ones bike". Or something like that.
Diesel Dan

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-15-09, 11:36 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A jersey over a low cut sports bra, zipper in the low position. Nobody will even think about guessing your weight!

Ride yer bike!....I see wimmins of all sizes riding. Yes there are creeps, but it's everywhere. Then there are some that share my thoughts. If I see a gal riding, especially alone (thick or thin), my thoughts are, "wow! She has the guts to get out there and ride". Then I go into wondering what compels them? Usually ends with a note of admiration.

I've always thought wimmins with a sporty spirit is an attractive thang! Wimmins with a wuss attitude are a turnoff. So maybe you don't figure it, but there may be people out there that find you very attractive simply by the fact that you are riding. One tends to overlook those peeps and concentrate on the one or two creeps that may say something stupid!
Old 07-15-09, 12:54 PM
willmw
Old enough to know better

Bikes: Haro Heartland Express LE, Dawes Lightning 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
+1..... and if it helps to start with, mountain bike shorts may be a "training wheel" option
Yes, this is definitely an option. My wife was a little squeamish about the bike shorts in the beginning so we got her some baggys. I think she wore them twice and now wears the regular ones she got shortly thereafter.
Old 07-15-09, 02:42 PM
turtlewoman

Bikes: Peugeot something 1975

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know about the low cut bra and zipper down----the girls don't ride as high as they used to!!LOL
Old 07-15-09, 03:25 PM
Pinyon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As usual, Thom is a wise man. Listen to him. Lots of good advice from others here as well.

Later on, people that have given me grief over my bursting-sausage-leg-look when I'm wearing lycra shorts, are usually amazed at how fast I can get to other places in town on my bike, how I'm not as out-of-breath as they are when climbing stairs together, etc. And after a few weeks, if they ever ride with you...you will blow their socks off.

Besides, there is usually a reason that such people feel the need to pick on you. Usually, it is something akin to feeling like a slacker for not doing something similar, and not having the gumption to take the plunge and get started themselves.

Lycra cycling shorts cover a lot more than similar-looking clothing items like dancing tights. Cycling shorts are made out of much thicker fabric, usually have a matte finish (shiny leg-sausages are not a good look on me, anyway), are tight enough to "contour", and the padding covers...details. The type of shorts that you get also makes a difference. Especially for women. They make more styles for women, some with very short inseams (mid-upper thigh height), that many women prefer to avoid.

Just ride, and have fun.
Old 07-15-09, 03:41 PM
Tex_Arcana
Lone Star

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know who it is that usually says anything?

It's the loser riding in the passenger seat. This person usually comes from the shallow end of the gene pool. You will do well to develop a healthy disdain for this person and his/her opinions. After years of riding I've come to the conclusion that this persons opinions are ill informed and usually stem from their own insecurities. After all if they were really secure with themselves they wouldn't feel the need to belittle someone else.

In other words, as long as you aren't hurting anything, just do your thing. What ever anyone else says or thinks doesn't matter.

Last edited by Tex_Arcana; 07-15-09 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-15-09, 04:01 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've never worried about it too much. With my shiny bald head, lumberjack beard and grocery basket fat-tire cruiser bike, I'm sure people could find something else to make fun of before having to pick on me for dressing funny, too.
Old 07-15-09, 04:16 PM
Missbumble 
I'm a Cyclist!

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
OK Miss Turtle - It's the Bee - I was 246 at my highest...feel better? Ok I did not ride then - i started riding at about...216... 40 pounds lost or so since then....So I was no small biker. I bought Men’s 2XL shorts.... Mortifying to buy them and then AeroTech Men’s 2XL shirts..(Not shown int he photo below...the Areotech shirts are loose and nice...go see on the web www.aerotechdesigns.com)

And yes - all those skinny sexy bikers and me. I asked one guy take a picture of me - cause I was excited to be biking and wanted a before shot... - I won an award for the biggest geek in that outfit. right here on the Forum...OK Here goes...Feel better?

Humiliating Shot.jpg.

Miss T- No one is out riding a bike or whatever to look at you. If they say something 1) they are jerks and 2) they don't know how it hurts... So you go out and ride girlfriend... you are doing the right thing. Have fun...and ya know you will get skinnier!!- if you eat the same and pedal more...it will happen. If you eat less and pedal more than it will really happen. Go Girl!!

And the shots below are meant to inspire.. I have a ways to go..need to work on my food intake...but a few rides and you will definitley get smaller..... Go ride...don't let nothing and no one stop you. And if you get upset - you justpop in here - read the Before and After thread....and get uplifted. Most everyone on this section of the Forum know where you are at!!

OK Here's me now or on Brag. (June 2009 ).so ride on..
Brag Athens 02.jpg

And another In FLA...
Ignore the cake:
Sue with Cake.jpg

Last edited by Missbumble; 07-15-09 at 04:29 PM.
Likes For Missbumble:
Old 07-15-09, 04:49 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Please try to not worry about the bike shorts. Anything that increases your comfort on the bike will help you enjoy your ride so it's more fun and not work. For me, wearing street clothes invites skin problems and overheating especially during the summer.

I hope your experience is like mine and that you get much more encouraging feedback than negative remarks.

Depending on where you ride, bright clothing is not so much a fashion statement as it is trying to be visible for your own safety in traffic.

Go for it!
Old 07-15-09, 04:54 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Our teenaged sons gave my wife and I so much greif over our riding clothes before we ever left the house in them for the first time that anything the general public said or did while we were on the road was insignificant.

Two years ago, after 3 decades of riding an average of 10 miles per year, if you would have told me that I'd be looking froward to putting on padded bike shorts, jersey and bike shoes then hopping on a $2k road bike to head out for 30, 40, 50 or more mile ride, I'd have thought you insane. But here I am.

You'll most likely find that once you get dressed and start riding, you will quickly forget what you look like to others and just enjoy the ride.
Likes For CACycling:
Old 07-15-09, 05:39 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I've ridden on charity rides where they were taking pictures. I went to look at the pictures, and thought, "Wow, I look stupid on a bike." But then again, I remember seeing pictures of me hiking, and I looked stupid then, too. Anyway, I'm going to ride, and if somebody doesn't like the way I look, tough. I'm not going to sit around the house the rest of my life for fear of looking stupid.
Old 07-15-09, 05:52 PM
loopybunny
team autobus

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.5; 2009 Trek 6000; 1995 Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly, it doesn't matter what kind of shape your body is in, there will always be people who will drive by and yell mean things just because you're on a bike and they're jerks.
Old 07-15-09, 05:55 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
Our teenaged sons gave my wife and I so much greif over our riding clothes before we ever left the house in them for the first time that anything the general public said or did while we were on the road was insignificant.

Two years ago, after 3 decades of riding an average of 10 miles per year, if you would have told me that I'd be looking froward to putting on padded bike shorts, jersey and bike shoes then hopping on a $2k road bike to head out for 30, 40, 50 or more mile ride, I'd have thought you insane. But here I am.

You'll most likely find that once you get dressed and start riding, you will quickly forget what you look like to others and just enjoy the ride.
Not to get off topice, but what do they say now?

I would rather be pedaling and look outstanding, then not ride and look wide.
Old 07-15-09, 06:06 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by turtlewoman
I am just starting back to bicycling after about 15 years of complete inactivity. I am 5'5" and 236. Kind of a round little person! My problem is that I am very embarrassed to go out on my bike. I really love riding but I am afraid some creep will yell something at me or someone will laugh. And wearing bike shorts---FORGET THAT! Does anybody else feel that way or is it just me?
The creeps who yell and the jerks who laugh are all people who inside are thinking, I wish I could do that. They feel they can't do it, and that they win if they bring you down to their level.

Most riders who first get bike shorts use them as under shorts with other shorts over them, as you get more confident riding, you tend to get to a point where you don't care anymore. I still use over shorts sometimes, if I am doing a run to the bank or the store, I will use the regular shorts over, as they have pockets for wallet and keys.
Likes For Wogster:
Old 07-15-09, 06:57 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get some black mountain biking shorts. They have the chamois lining for your comfort and a nylon shell so they don't chafe but look more like normal shorts on the outside.
Old 07-15-09, 07:04 PM
wjcronin2002
It's good to be the king!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The non cycling crowd thinks we all look goofy no matter what the body type. And I've always found other cyclists appreciate the effort you make and offer encouragement. Consider it a badge of honor if somebody says something - you are part of an elite group!!
Old 07-15-09, 07:21 PM
timmythology

Bikes: | Surly Disc-Trucker| unknown city bike |M80 Raleigh |09 Trek 1.2|

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stop thinking, and do more riding. The comments may or may not happen. Your riding riding should happen.
Remember to have fun while your riding your bike
Old 07-15-09, 07:27 PM
djnzlab1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Big Fat Guy

HI,
Iam big fat guy and I love to blow this little skinny guys off the road, when I can ..
Don't let anyone stop you from doing what you want.
Life is very short and even shorter if we don't find things to improve our quality of life,
and as many members have posted, we all have started somewhere and we all hope to end at a better
place but who cares its the getting there thats fun.
Been riding for over a year only lost 10 pound, I seem a lot smaller, but I still look heavy in spandex, but I really feel bad if I can'nt ride my bike every day.. I started at 6 miles and I ride 32 every day I can...

Ps Love your handle.

Doug,,Bike Turtle...
Likes For djnzlab1:
Old 07-15-09, 08:58 PM
SilverSurfR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not much to add, I suggest going the lycra with shorts over route, because after a few rides, it's more than likely you will end up wanting to ditch the shorts and just wear the lycra. For me it happened toward the end of my ride one day. I started thinking, this stuff will breathe better if I just ditched the shorts, so I stopped, took them off and stuffed them in a jersey pocket. It felt alot better just riding in my bibs, and that's how I go out now. I think I'm starting to actually look damn good in lycra, even if no one else agree's with me.
Old 07-15-09, 10:20 PM
aenlaasu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me, I'm 5'2" and started at 243 pounds. Remember the Weebils toy people? That's pretty close to how I feel I looked like.

Even better, I'm on a recumbent trike, with a husky hitched to the seat frame, ball cap stuffed under the cycle helmet since they don't seem to make helmets with enough of a sun brim. All sorts of laugh factor.

Thankfully, I have a 'lazy' husky and he doesn't pull much past the first 2 miles so I still get plenty of exercise. I'm down to about 218 pounds and regularly do 40+ mile trips. (The husky just did his first 40+ mile trip Saturday and wanted to go again Sunday ) As for shorts, I have the same unwillingness to wear them. Instead, I wear tights with a pair of gym shorts over that since I feel worse than naked with just lycra tights.

And for the record, while I have been laughed at, I've never been laughed at by someone on a bike. From them, I get waves, nods, encouraging yells, smiles, and thumbs up. The non-bikers who do laugh would probably kill themselves trying to do my long trips.
Old 07-16-09, 05:48 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday on my commute home a gentleman (mid to late 40's) in a convertible Mercedes whistled a cat call at me as I pedaled by. I was somewhat confused by his gesture but all in all I guess I'm flattered.

Some people are supportive so take the good with the bad and pedal on!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.