Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Don't understand the big downtubes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-20-10, 03:34 PM
Austinite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, it's only been 4 years since I bought my current Aluminum-frame road bike and while I was poking around at some of the latest 2010 full-carbon bikes, I noticed something that makes no sense to me at all. Some of these bikes have super aero wheels that probably cost more *per wheel* than my whole bike but they have HUGE FAT DOWNTUBES. I swear I saw one that must've been 4 or 5 inches wide. Not deep, WIDE. Why do folks bother getting aero wheels and light frame and then ride around with a wall on the front of their bike like that?

Fashion?
Old 02-20-10, 03:39 PM
thegunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Austinite
Well, it's only been 4 years since I bought my current Aluminum-frame road bike and while I was poking around at some of the latest 2010 full-carbon bikes, I noticed something that makes no sense to me at all. Some of these bikes have super aero wheels that probably cost more *per wheel* than my whole bike but they have HUGE FAT DOWNTUBES. I swear I saw one that must've been 4 or 5 inches wide. Not deep, WIDE. Why do folks bother getting aero wheels and light frame and then ride around with a wall on the front of their bike like that?

Fashion?
that and the TT would the the primary points of flex across the front of a bike. fatten up the DT and you increase power transfer. there's a trade off between aero and efficiency you know...
Old 02-20-10, 04:59 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Someone at Interbike jokingly asked if maybe the wheel folks (or aero folks) and certain frame designers maybe missed some memos. As the OP pointed out you have these super aero rims just in front of big fat wide square etc etc unaero looking tubes.

I'm not an engineer, nor do I understand the intricacies of carbon fiber, but I hope there's a functional reason for such frames. My guess (and just a guess) is that it has to do with "laterally stiff, vertically compliant" phrase that seems so over used.

Personally I'd be curious to see how a twin downtube bike would work. This would get the width without building an aero wall. Kind of like the bi-titan etc by Colnago, but one that didn't crack after a few weeks. You could envelope part of the front wheel, have aero struts to tie the two sides together, and have a lot of vertical flexibility on an extremely wide frame (figure minimum 68 mm wide, max would be 90-100 mm, based on BB width).

Of course there's the problem of having 2 extra tube sides, more joinery, etc etc. But, hey, nothing's for free.

I have a downtube that's oval vertically at the head tube and oval horizontally at the BB. It's pretty narrow up top (compared to my SystemSix especially). I "feel" more aero riding the bike. And it's plenty stiff for me, and I really hate a frame that is marginally noodly.

cdr
Old 02-20-10, 05:11 PM
thegunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Someone at Interbike jokingly asked if maybe the wheel folks (or aero folks) and certain frame designers maybe missed some memos. As the OP pointed out you have these super aero rims just in front of big fat wide square etc etc unaero looking tubes.

I'm not an engineer, nor do I understand the intricacies of carbon fiber, but I hope there's a functional reason for such frames. My guess (and just a guess) is that it has to do with "laterally stiff, vertically compliant" phrase that seems so over used.

Personally I'd be curious to see how a twin downtube bike would work. This would get the width without building an aero wall. Kind of like the bi-titan etc by Colnago, but one that didn't crack after a few weeks. You could envelope part of the front wheel, have aero struts to tie the two sides together, and have a lot of vertical flexibility on an extremely wide frame (figure minimum 68 mm wide, max would be 90-100 mm, based on BB width).

Of course there's the problem of having 2 extra tube sides, more joinery, etc etc. But, hey, nothing's for free.

I have a downtube that's oval vertically at the head tube and oval horizontally at the BB. It's pretty narrow up top (compared to my SystemSix especially). I "feel" more aero riding the bike. And it's plenty stiff for me, and I really hate a frame that is marginally noodly.

cdr
if you pair two tubes on the dt, yes you lose the 'giant wall effect' but the sheer force is also effectively doubled for the inner lining. couple that with increased turbulence of wind flow behind the tubes and i'm not sure you're gaining very much
Old 02-20-10, 05:25 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Aero wheels and fat downtubes provide space for big advertising.
Old 02-20-10, 05:28 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

Old 02-20-10, 05:32 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by thegunner
if you pair two tubes on the dt, yes you lose the 'giant wall effect' but the sheer force is also effectively doubled for the inner lining. couple that with increased turbulence of wind flow behind the tubes and i'm not sure you're gaining very much
ah thanks.

Staggered tubes? Like that frame with the staggered seatstay attach points?

No, I must be bonking or something.

If I could weld and had access to odd shapes of aluminum tubing, I'd have all sorts of failed frames laying around.

cdr
Old 02-20-10, 06:15 PM
tj90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it could be like my stupid looking XRL scattante. From the side, the DT and TT tube is big enough for a billboard and the advertising. The top and bottom are sculpted like a knife edge ready to bust your balls in an accident. I guess the tube is more aero than the other way, but I dont think this frame is going to win any stiffness contests...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
30-1702-BLU-ANGLE.JPG (31.0 KB, 160 views)
Old 02-21-10, 01:59 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
The big fat down tube on the Trek Madone is the reason that I bought the Trek 9.5 Equinox. I am using the Equinox as a road bike and am very happy with it. I no longer race, only ride for pleasure and fitness.

I feel the same way as Austinite. Why have aero wheels and an extremely large diameter down tube, the Equinox with the seatpost reversed provides "almost" the same geometry as my old Bianchi and has a very rigid bottom bracket, no flex when standing.

Wayne
Old 02-21-10, 02:14 PM
thegunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the thing is, when you raise the profile of your rims on a wheel, you're basically creating a laminar flow profile for the wind... in effect cutting through the wind. no eddys form behind the wheel on rotation like with box section rims (this effect is even more amplified when you consider the wind profile has a rotational velocity profile as well as one from the front to the back of the bike). with the DT, it's stationary, the effect isn't nearly as great as that of the wheel...
Old 02-21-10, 02:16 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The BB is 68mm wide, so that limits the DT width to 68mm or 2.68 inches. Big DTs have been around for a long time.
Even an old C'dale 2.8 from '92 has a relatively fat DT.
Old 02-21-10, 04:55 PM
Jinker

Bikes: Univega Via Montega, Nashbar Aluminum frame/105 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thegunner
the thing is, when you raise the profile of your rims on a wheel, you're basically creating a laminar flow profile for the wind... in effect cutting through the wind. no eddys form behind the wheel on rotation like with box section rims (this effect is even more amplified when you consider the wind profile has a rotational velocity profile as well as one from the front to the back of the bike). with the DT, it's stationary, the effect isn't nearly as great as that of the wheel...
Have you ever noticed that the trailing edge of your wheel is always a circular section? Yeah. Your tire.

Also, laminar flow has a specific definition. 'Laminar flow' wings on airplanes (which are substantially more aerodynamic than wheels wrapped in gritty bike tires) only achieve laminar flow over a portion of their chord.

Saying that 'no eddys form behind the wheel on rotation' indicates a hook-line-and-sinker swallowing of marketingspeak, and has little to do with reality.

Yes, aero rims can create less turbulent flow than box section rims. But don't overstate things here. On a bike, the first things to encounter the air matter the most. An aero front wheel, a skinsuit, an aero helmet. The bike frame is contributing a small, SMALL portion of the drag of the system.
Old 02-21-10, 05:10 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
the really fat down tube just doesn't look very nice.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 02-21-10, 05:49 PM
thegunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinker
Have you ever noticed that the trailing edge of your wheel is always a circular section? Yeah. Your tire.

Also, laminar flow has a specific definition. 'Laminar flow' wings on airplanes (which are substantially more aerodynamic than wheels wrapped in gritty bike tires) only achieve laminar flow over a portion of their chord.

Saying that 'no eddys form behind the wheel on rotation' indicates a hook-line-and-sinker swallowing of marketingspeak, and has little to do with reality.

Yes, aero rims can create less turbulent flow than box section rims. But don't overstate things here. On a bike, the first things to encounter the air matter the most. An aero front wheel, a skinsuit, an aero helmet. The bike frame is contributing a small, SMALL portion of the drag of the system.
i certainly wouldn't say that it's over statement, if you simply think of any fluid flowing around a rounded block with square tapered edges, vs. a rounded block ending in a teardrop shape, it seems reasonable that the turbulence behind that initial leading edge of a wheel is minimized. if you think i'm spewing nonsense because of marketing, that'd be an insult to my academic background... i'm a graduate student in chemical engineering, and for the past 2 years my research has been on flow profiles around... no lie... pendant drops of lipid particles in various solvents. << okay so that's not exactly the same

i think you also completely misread my post, i was implying the bike frame's DT has a negligible impact on overall drag... why are we arguing again?

Last edited by thegunner; 02-21-10 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-21-10, 05:50 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinker
indicates a hook-line-and-sinker swallowing of marketingspeak, and has little to do with reality.
So it goes with most technical "truths" around here.

Best part is how genuinely angry some people get defending those "truths". Like it's a faith of some form...or a deep seated knowledge that they've been had, but want desperately to never confront that fact.
Old 02-21-10, 06:36 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
A larger diameter tube allows you to use thinner tubes but maintain the same strength. This means a lighter tube with the same strength. Cannondale used to use the formula for this in their advertising some time in the early 90's.

It's about weight, folks.

Old 02-21-10, 06:46 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The BB is 68mm wide, so that limits the DT width to 68mm or 2.68 inches. Big DTs have been around for a long time.
Even an old C'dale 2.8 from '92 has a relatively fat DT.
Nowadays, with integrated external bearing BBs, you can get wider - 90mm or so (Trek's "BB90" was one of the first ones). There are some other BB numbers being thrown around, with all but Look's BB65 having to do with the width of the shell, not the diameter of the BB spindle. I don't necessarily agree with Trek's BB shell idea but I have to admit that you can make your downtube wider than you could on a 68 mm BB shell.

cdr

Last edited by carpediemracing; 02-21-10 at 06:47 PM. Reason: BB65, not BB50
Old 02-21-10, 08:17 PM
thegunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
So it goes with most technical "truths" around here.

Best part is how genuinely angry some people get defending those "truths". Like it's a faith of some form...or a deep seated knowledge that they've been had, but want desperately to never confront that fact.
or maybe it's an understanding through other facets of engineering, you know... a lot of people here jump to conclusions about other people's knowledge without first considering the possibility that it might actually be their forte..
Old 02-21-10, 08:31 PM
tadawdy
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't the benefit of an aero wheel have to do with the fact that it's rotating, as well as translating? The so-called "egg beater" effect of spokes? If so, having a fat downtube doesn't negate the benefits of an aero wheel.
Old 02-21-10, 08:34 PM
dizzy101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
the really fat down tube just doesn't look very nice.
On small frames, yes. On large bike frames, small tubes don't look good
Old 02-21-10, 08:38 PM
midgetmaestro 

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dizzy101
On small frames, yes. On large bike frames, small tubes don't look good
hmmmm I disagree... scattante.jpg

But it is a matter of personal taste.
Old 02-21-10, 10:33 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
^ Now that's a non - conventional backdrop!
Old 02-21-10, 11:13 PM
DArthurBrown
Chasing the horizon.

Bikes: 2016 Felt F75, 2008 Mercier Corvus Steel, 2006 Trek 4300, 1985 Trek 620 (modernized)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It could also be that the differences in the downtube sizes, shapes and colors mentioned have negligible effect on performance, but might sell more bikes by convincing folks that they have a measurable effect on performance.
Old 02-21-10, 11:16 PM
Dick Rhee
Shoebomber

Bikes: 2008 Canyon CF Pro w/ Chorus, 2005 Moots Vamoots w/ Ultegra, 1988 Cannondale commuter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am currently taking Fluid Mechanics, so it's interesting to hear people's take on what would matter most in terms of aerodynamics. Unfortunately, the class is very calculation-based, so I feel as though I have as much practical knowledge of fluids and aerodynamics as I did after taking freshmen physics. I would like this class a lot more it had a lab section.

Anyway, I agree that the downtube is placed in at least somewhat turbulant air, so it shouldn't matter as much as the front wheel (and neither even remotely as important as the rider's position/frontal profile). An oval DT (wider than taller) should help prevent pedal flex while maintaining vertical flexibilty flex for comfort. The OS tube shapes allow for increased stiffness while using less material. Therefore, OS tubes allow for a lighter frame that is still rideable.
Old 02-21-10, 11:19 PM
dmp
'84 and '09 Pinarellos

Bikes: '84 Pinarello Record Equipe rebuilt with Campy Chorus/ Record; 2009 Pinarello Paris/ Campy SR 11sp; Litespeed Tuscany w Campy SR 11 speed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by midgetmaestro
hmmmm I disagree... Attachment 138511

But it is a matter of personal taste.
That's either the biggest dog bed or the smallest bicycle I've ever seen!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.