Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Seat rail/clamp/seat bag inner leg rubbing issue's?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 09:07 PM
Jeff Pedals

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Superfly 9.7, Salsa Fargo2 & a polished turd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been for some time now trying to figure a way to make my bike shorts & long tights stay hole free for more than a season. I had originaly thought it was a pearl izumi quality issue but eventualy figured out it was my seat bag grazing my inner thighs. Actualy I think even the velcro strap that wraps around the seatpost on my new roadbike would sometimes lightly touch as well..this is all a result of having well you know, a little bit of extra flab on the inner thighs & the fact that new roadbike saddles are very narrow, so much so that they allow my inner thighs to get to close to the seatpost on the pedal stroke & I have recently discoverd that I may be even making contact with the seat rail/clamp/nut area lightly. I have been on a quest of sorts to search out seatbags that elliminate the need to be velcro'd to the seatpost, like the topeak seatrail clip on systems, but the smallest version is the only one that elliminates the velcro strap & so it has very limited storage area which sucks. The medium version would be best but it has a strap for the seatpost as well as the rail mounting clip. I recently noticed that topeak makes a longer seatrail fixer for spring style seats..this could help get the larger bag away from the seatpost more but it looks like it ends up making the bags angle weird..so weird that when you clip on your blinky light it may not be as visible to traffic & with the larger bag, I'm not sure how much wiggling the bag would do when riding what with it not being strapped to the post like it looks to be intended to. It's unfortunate that there isent alot of options for people with this problem.

And really it's a bit insane that the seat rails & seat clamps are that exposed underneath the actual seat surfaces on roadbikes these days. I'm not sure if it's like that on all new roadbikes but mine sure is. If i look down at the seat from above i can see the edge of the seat rails & a corner of the clamp visible..I mean this can't be a great idea for any type of rider could it?. I might also add that I have my saddle moved forward pretty far which helps my position on my bike to my liking. I hate to imagine how much more of the seat clamp area would be exposed to my inner legs if I had the saddle positioned further back where the saddle gets even more narrow.

I think my next move is going to be changing to a different saddle in hopes that it will keep a bit more of the clamp area out of range from my inner thighs.

Is anyone else having this issue..or have you went through this at some point?

Last edited by Jeff Pedals; 11-11-12 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-11-12, 09:16 PM
TJClay

Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cut the Velcro off my under seat bag because it was rubbing on my shorts and wearing a whole in them. It moves around a little more but that's not really a big deal as I think I saved probably 5-8 grams of unneeded weight!
Old 11-11-12, 09:19 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to saddle bags, jersey pockets hold a ton more. I have a couple of these for my bikes. Enough to hold 2 road tubes, or one tube, levers, patch kit. Also have spare ID and cash in there.

https://www.bikebling.com/Sci-con-Ela...210-carbon.htm

If you need more room then they have larger options. And I don't like the velcow on the seatpost for the same reason. It's a way to mess up perfectly good bibs.

https://www.bikebling.com/Sci-con-Vor...-saddlebag.htm
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.

Last edited by jsigone; 11-11-12 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-11-12, 09:32 PM
Jeff Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should also indicate that I currently don't wear jersey's cause I don't fit in them to my liking..so I end up with no pockets hence the need for everything I carry needing to fit in the seatbag. I like that bag posted but it looks like it's missing a loop for hanging a blinky light & I really don't want to mount a taillight to my seatpost if i don't have to since I'm kind of scared of the idea what with my leg rubbing issues..I'd almost rather ride with nothing at this point than to mount anything to the post.

I also own a soft shell topeak trunk type setup that I don't use often...it carry's alot but I don't need that much space very often & when I do use it i wear an extra pair of nylon shorts over my pearl izumi's to make sure if i rub on that seat post bracket it won't get through to my pearl izumi's.

Last edited by Jeff Pedals; 11-11-12 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-11-12, 10:09 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
these are nifty if you don't ride a slammed stem
https://www.bikebling.com/Profile-E-P...pack-large.htm

btw I mount the rear blinky snug under the bag. I can control its viewing angle more w/ the clamp oppose to just hanging there.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 11-12-12, 11:04 AM
Jeff Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
these are nifty if you don't ride a slammed stem
https://www.bikebling.com/Profile-E-P...pack-large.htm

btw I mount the rear blinky snug under the bag. I can control its viewing angle more w/ the clamp oppose to just hanging there.
I have one of those types of bags as well..but i don't use it on the new bike due to the fact that when I get off the saddle to straddle the top tube, I only have about 2 maybe 3 inches of clearence from my gut area to the stem thanks to the shorter relaxed geomety of my top tube. It sucks being a miss fit on a road bike lol
Old 11-12-12, 12:58 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Velcro rub? I have Jandd bag. I just pull the strap taught to cover the velcro with the back side of the strap.

If your strap doesn't cover the velcro strap entirely, why not find the oppostie matching velcro and place a small piece/patch on the velcro so that it does, should be a cheap fix.

velcrobag by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

How much space do you need? I carry 2 spare tubes, 4 allen wrenches, small folding pliers, spoke wrench, chain tool, keys, baggy of Gatorade powder, clif bar, 2 CO2 if needed, ID, 2 spare aa batteries, valve extender, small CO2 inflator, tire levers. That's enough to get me thru 100 miles.
Old 11-12-12, 01:20 PM
Jaye
Long Haul Truckin'

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your hole problem is the velcro and not the seatbag I would wager. I had the same issue until I cut the velcro setapost strap from mine (and have since switched to a bag that doesn't use a seatpost clamp at all) and then it went away completely.
Old 11-12-12, 01:32 PM
Sasquatch16

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Had a problem with my right inner thigh rubbing seat QD on one bie and top tube on the other. Turns out my right foot is a little crooked. I put a pedal extension on that side of bike and problem is solved.
Old 11-12-12, 05:55 PM
TJClay

Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another option is to just mooch off other riders with you and don't carry anything.
Old 11-12-12, 07:09 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TJClay
Another option is to just mooch off other riders with you and don't carry anything.
That ain't no joke! I've had a few riders ask for a tube. Riders that ride frequently with us. Well where is your tube? Your pump?

I don't carry one cause you carry one! WTF!

It got to the point where I told them if they don't carry their own supplies, see ya!

The worst is when we ride by somebody and a ride partner asks a flatted rider, "need help?". We stop and the flatted rider asks for a pump and the offering ride partner that offered help has nothing. WTF! ...I've had 2 ride partners carrying nothing offer help to other riders! WTF!...We fixed that real quick.
Old 11-13-12, 06:43 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Maybe close the velcro behind the seatpost and run a ziptie through it to secure it to the seatpost.
Some friends have also had problems with the clamp on quick-release beam racks tearing up shorts.

I tore up a lot of bike shorts after getting a bike fit done / moving the saddle BACK about 1cm. So this is not OP's problem but still relevant to the thread subject.
I was destroying a pair of $100 bike shorts in less than 40 miles. Spent over $1,000 dollars in 6 months trying all different brands and models of shorts. The cheap shorts were more durable than the high-performance wicking shorts.
Gore makes a style of bike shorts that has a more durable fabric on the inner legs and sitbone area. But it's a compromise, the durable fabric doesn't seem to breathe or wick away sweat as well as other brands.

I finally bought a new seatpost that had a smoother clamping mechanism AND was a setback post. It moved the clamp back just enough to avoid contact with the upper inner thigh. The clamp had a tiny amount of black lint accummulated from the barely-noticeable fabric contact while pedaling.
I also found that my bike saddle undercarriage had broken, leaving a tiny rough crack on the outer edge when I was sitting on the saddle. I replaced the saddle too.
Problem solved.
Old 11-14-12, 10:21 PM
Jeff Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have tried a few different things with my existing bag. I removed most of the built in hard plastic that nakes the bag keep it's shape in the front..i have done this to two seat bags so far..one is now out of service because the zipper came apart. I have pushed the velcro strap all the way up the seat tube to keep it under the saddle as far as possible too. I'm sure my next seatbag will be of the seatrail clip on type as the clearence of my legs to the seatpost is so very close that it is not a good idea for me to have anything there. I'm hoping that when i upgrade my saddle that it will not leave as much of the seatclamp/seatrails exposed as they are now. I am glad that I am not the only person that has or had this problem. I just need enough room to store a cell phone, tube & tire levers & co2 cartridge & keys..normally that is all I carry.
Old 11-14-12, 10:27 PM
Jeff Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Velcro rub? I have Jandd bag. I just pull the strap taught to cover the velcro with the back side of the strap.

If your strap doesn't cover the velcro strap entirely, why not find the oppostie matching velcro and place a small piece/patch on the velcro so that it does, should be a cheap fix.

velcrobag by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

How much space do you need? I carry 2 spare tubes, 4 allen wrenches, small folding pliers, spoke wrench, chain tool, keys, baggy of Gatorade powder, clif bar, 2 CO2 if needed, ID, 2 spare aa batteries, valve extender, small CO2 inflator, tire levers. That's enough to get me thru 100 miles.
The velcro is all covered over like you are showing with yours..it's just the added width of the strap around the seat tube(as hard as that is to imagin) that has been enough to nick on my shorts in the past..as well as the corners of my seatbags..which is why i removed the inner plastics that make the front of the bags keep thier shapes.
Old 11-15-12, 07:02 AM
campylover

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse SL with Campy Record 10sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem. Now I use the Fizik ICS bag. But you need a Fizik saddle.