Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTB Stronglight P3 headset (FR or ENG)

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 04:38 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts

I'm getting ready to build a Mercier 300. It has a Stronglight P3 headset. The P3 has a low stack height (34 mm) and the bottom cup is brinelled. I've seen worse but it has indents. The uppers are in good shape as is the crown race.

I'd like to buy a French threaded stronglight P3. I could use an English threaded one I reckon since I really only need the bottom cup. Alternatively I could just buy a low stack english threaded headset and just use the crown race and bottom cup.

Last edited by bikemig; 03-31-21 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-31-21, 08:15 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I'm getting ready to build a Mercier 300. It has a Stronglight P3 headset. The P3 has a low stack height (34 mm) and the bottom cup is brinelled. I've seen worse but it has indents. The uppers are in good shape as is the crown race.

I'd like to buy a French threaded stronglight P3. I could use an English threaded one I reckon since I really only need the bottom cup. Alternatively I could just buy a low stack english threaded headset and just use the crown race and bottom cup.
I have the Tange copy of the P3. It’s crown race and cups are JIS however. Though it is English threaded. Really nice condition. Pulled from a ‘78 Trek. Don’t know if it’d work for your application or not, but thought I’d mention it.

VeloBase.com - Component: Tange MA-60
Old 04-01-21, 04:28 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by deux jambes
I have the Tange copy of the P3. It’s crown race and cups are JIS however. Though it is English threaded. Really nice condition. Pulled from a ‘78 Trek. Don’t know if it’d work for your application or not, but thought I’d mention it.

VeloBase.com - Component: Tange MA-60
Very cool. I did not know that Tange made a copy of the P3. This could work but it will turn on the stack height of the MA 60. I don't think the JIS/ISO difference matters here. The HS is English so I can't use the locknut or the top threaded race but everything else might just work.

The other difference is that the pressed headtube race outside diameter is likely to be a little different (if Sutherland's is right on this). The Tange should be 30.0 mm; a French threaded headset should be 30.2 mm.

I think this should work. Would you mind measuring the stack height?
Old 04-01-21, 04:36 AM
bikemig 

Good thread on P3 headsets and alternatives here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...mm-really.html
Old 04-01-21, 08:32 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig

I think this should work. Would you mind measuring the stack height?
Its definitely low stack.
I'll report back with specs this evening after work.
Old 04-01-21, 08:37 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
I recently sold a stack of Stornlight P3/V4 headset parts, I think it all went to Iniezione

He may be able to help you replace with something stock. If not, and all you need is the bottom cup, I may still be able to help out. I have a few complete headsets in my bins also.

Likes For francophile:
Old 04-02-21, 10:27 AM
bikemig 

Stack Heights

Sutherlands 6th has the stack height for a Stronglight P3 at 34. The lower stack height is 11.1 mm.

It's tough finding another headset that might be available in French threading with this stack height. I realize that for the bottom I can go with a different headset entirely since I can reuse my current top race, adjustable cup, and other parts. Still 11.1 will be tough.

It looks as if a campy gran sport might be a good choice as well. Sutherlands has the stack height at 33.7 and the lower stack height at 11.4. It looks as if a Shimano ultegra 6400 should work (stack height of 33.8, lower stack of 11.6) and a Shimano 105 HP 1050 (32.7 and 11.5 respectively).

There have to be some modern headsets with low stack heights as well. But if it's not French threaded, the bottom assembly cannot have a stack height greater than 11.1.
Old 04-06-21, 07:35 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
A Tange Levin CDS (not CD, but CDS) has a total stack of 33.3 mm, but the bottom stack is about 12.5 mm. I don't know of any published data on that -- I was also having a headset problem involving a P3 recently, and casting about myself for a solution, with a dial caliper -- and a Levin CDS at hand. But it's unlikely that you'd find one of them with French threading.
I suggest trying to find out whether there's any toleration for a slightly higher stack on your bike, and then find a bottom cup that will fit around your current crown race.
Likes For Charles Wahl: