Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Used Trek 520

Old 01-24-22, 07:39 AM
jpjuggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Used Trek 520

Hey folks,
What do you think of the price for this used trek 520?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik...436658281.html

And do you think I could raise the stem somehow to get the handllebars higher?

I was surprised to see it has v brakes.
JP
Old 01-24-22, 08:16 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 187 Posts
"Expertly inspected and refurbished (and totally sanitized!)" - really? One look at the chainrings tells me that cleaning is apparently not part of refurbishing.

Could you put a taller stem in? Sure, if the frame fits you otherwise, but if you're trying to squeeze an extra size out of this frame, don't bother - just get a bigger frame.

V-brakes instead of cantis - maybe someone got sick of setting up cantis!
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 01-24-22, 08:43 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Are they sure on the frame measurements? Doesn't look like a 23" frame to me. It appears one size down.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 01-24-22, 08:54 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
The brake levers probably aren't compatible with those V-brakes. They probably work for a test ride okay but have lower leverage, and more stopping distance under load.

Changing the stem may need longer cable housings. Changing back to cantis would need new housings and frame/fork stops.
Old 01-24-22, 09:47 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,542 Times in 3,756 Posts
Pic Assist

Old 01-24-22, 10:11 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
The brake levers probably aren't compatible with those V-brakes. They probably work for a test ride okay but have lower leverage, and more stopping distance under load.

Changing the stem may need longer cable housings. Changing back to cantis would need new housings and frame/fork stops.
I am wondering about that also. I'm very bothered they have the chain on the small chain ring up front with the small cog in back. Is that something an "expert" bicycle mechanic would do?

OP. If you're close by drive over and take it out for a test ride. Bicycle co-ops are fun to check out. You never know what you might find.
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 01-24-22, 10:43 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
Small ring, small cog is how I park all my bikes, takes the tension off the cables.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 01-24-22, 10:48 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 187 Posts
Why are the barcons pointing up? In the neutral (i.e., no tension on the cable) position, they should point down. Whoever set up this bike is winging it. Pass.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 01-24-22, 11:20 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
that doesn't seem like a bad price to me for that bike.

you should for sure be able to raise the stem.

I would rather have vbrakes anyway, and those tektro levers which are not original do come in a version with the right pull rate for vbrakes.

Im not sure what all the fuss is about the bike it looks CooP clean and if it fits that is a nice touring/commuter bike.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 01-24-22, 11:22 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
1. Small-small gear combo is possibly because wheel was removed or some other maintenance was completed where the gears were shifted through their range and just left there with no particular reason. I don't have much faith in most home mechanics' (or flippers) skills, but having the bike in small-small isn't a major clue.

2. I have seen a few Trek touring bikes that had full length V brakes and short pull levers. I got the impression some may have come from the factory like this, but I don't know for sure. What I do know is that, even if you can get such a setup to work acceptably on the repair stand, any additional friction in the system, or a tiny bit of lateral runout at the rim, will make them work much less acceptably. From the picture I can't tell if those are short pull levers or aftermarket long pull levers like Tektro make.

​​​3. ​bargainguy may have noticed something important - those bar end shifters might be installed upside down, which is a sure indicator that whoever assembled the bike doesn't know their arse from a hole in the ground. I would not assume anything is properly set up after seeing that. So, yeah, unless you are experienced and fully competent to do a full rebuild on this bike I would pass.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 01-24-22, 11:25 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
1. Small-small gear combo is possibly because wheel was removed or some other maintenance was completed where the gears were shifted through their range and just left there with no particular reason. I don't have much faith in most home mechanics' (or flippers) skills, but having the bike in small-small isn't a major clue.

2. I have seen a few Trek touring bikes that had full length V brakes and short pull levers. I got the impression some may have come from the factory like this, but I don't know for sure. What I do know is that, even if you can get such a setup to work acceptably on the repair stand, any additional friction in the system, or a tiny bit of lateral runout at the rim, will make them work much less acceptably. From the picture I can't tell if those are short pull levers or aftermarket long pull levers like Tektro make.

​​​3. ​bargainguy may have noticed something important - those bar end shifters might be installed upside down, which is a sure indicator that whoever assembled the bike doesn't know their arse from a hole in the ground. I would not assume anything is properly set up after seeing that. So, yeah, unless you are experienced and fully competent to do a full rebuild on this bike I would pass.
shifters are upside down...
Old 01-24-22, 01:22 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
The asking price is fairly reasonable for a 520 in that condition. That said, anytime I see "has been expertly gone through..." my first assumption is it needs to be completely gone through. I agree it looks more like a 57cm frame than a 59. While upside down shifters and other minor tuneup stuff can be addressed without too much more than some effort, the bike's wheels would be important to take hard look at. If the wheels are poor then even inexpensive replacement wheels will be $300 or more.
Old 01-24-22, 01:33 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
The asking price is fairly reasonable for a 520 in that condition. That said, anytime I see "has been expertly gone through..." my first assumption is it needs to be completely gone through. I agree it looks more like a 57cm frame than a 59. While upside down shifters and other minor tuneup stuff can be addressed without too much more than some effort, the bike's wheels would be important to take hard look at. If the wheels are poor then even inexpensive replacement wheels will be $300 or more.
This is exactly my concern. If the person didn't know enough to get the shifters installed correctly (and it's not like bar end shifters are new technology) I can't tell you how much I would want to avoid that bike if I suspected the same person tried to rebuild the wheel bearings.
Old 01-24-22, 06:37 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
This is exactly my concern. If the person didn't know enough to get the shifters installed correctly (and it's not like bar end shifters are new technology) I can't tell you how much I would want to avoid that bike if I suspected the same person tried to rebuild the wheel bearings.
Yep, my theory is that if what I can see is obviously messed up, then what I can't see will be just as bad or worse. Attention to detail counts in my book.

There is a flipper in my area and his work is terrible! I try to buy stuff before he touches the bike, as I know I will have to redo everything. The "worst" expert I bought a bike from painted the rusty cables with model paint, so they looked new. Of course, as soon as you moved a shift lever or brake, the cables would get stuck in the housings!! He professed to have over 30 years in the bicycle industry....

Another expert bike I bought, the bottom bracket cups were sticking out. Huh? Opened it up, the guy had put the caged bearings in backwards, cage was hitting the spindle, so the cups could not seat fully. Ouch.

Now these are exceptions. Most are much better. But I look for tell tale signs.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-24-22 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-25-22, 02:41 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Is that the original fork? Why is the headset stack height so tall with that huge, ugly spacer?

Gross build.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-25-22, 08:48 AM
jpjuggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I didn't catch the bar end shifters being up. Total red flag. Thanks