Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help with B. Carré frame ID

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-22, 04:45 PM
Reid_Fleming

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Hello good people of C&V,

Can anyone help me ID this frame made by Bernard Carré?

​​​​​I don't have much to go on, as there aren't many identifiers. It was made with Super Vitus 971 and has Huret dropouts. Wondering if anyone has any clues.

Thanks!

Likes For Reid_Fleming:
Old 03-25-22, 06:41 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
That's a tubeset you don't see everyday -- must be pretty lightweight! Good for someone who can ride that frame size. Based on the lack of derailleur cable and shifter braze-ons, I'm going to guess that the frame dates from the early '70s; but that's just a guess -- I have no credentials to back that up. Interesting paint -- does it have some "texture" to it? The photos make it look that way. It's interesting that Carré put the birdmouths in the fork and stay ends on the exterior, but not on the interior sides. And that the fender eyelets are not integral, but brazed on, at least on the rear.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 03-26-22, 07:30 AM
Reid_Fleming

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
That's a tubeset you don't see everyday -- must be pretty lightweight! Good for someone who can ride that frame size. Based on the lack of derailleur cable and shifter braze-ons, I'm going to guess that the frame dates from the early '70s; but that's just a guess -- I have no credentials to back that up. Interesting paint -- does it have some "texture" to it? The photos make it look that way. It's interesting that Carré put the birdmouths in the fork and stay ends on the exterior, but not on the interior sides. And that the fender eyelets are not integral, but brazed on, at least on the rear.
Correct - it's very light and should fit me (perhaps a bit wee). The paint is in pretty rough shape, especially the chromed socks. I don't mind a little history/patina, but I might try and clean up those rusty socks.
​​​​​​
Thanks for calling out all those little details. It has some interesting characteristics.
Old 03-26-22, 11:20 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Carré built for so many brands, there are any number of names to bestow upon it.
there are Carré graphics offered, maybe just go with that as the seat stay caps are so imprinted.
Old 03-26-22, 12:14 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
What is it you are trying to ID? Carré was a prolific builder and was used as a supplier of house frames for many bike shops along with many pros. You might find another color and markings if you remove the current paint. I have a BC frame that was marked Abel Bourne (you see this one alot), another as Mercador, and yet another as Cycles Labée. The tubing set is not unusual. Two of my BC are SV971. BC built to a price point when needed and was not adverse to using Reynolds, Columbus, and Vitus in combinations. The RD cable guide location on the drive stay is a bit unusual as is the location of the TT brake cable guides. AFA dating, I would put it late 70s. I take it there are no markings on the fork crown? Not unusual for there to be none.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Last edited by CV-6; 03-26-22 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-27-22, 08:57 AM
Reid_Fleming

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
What is it you are trying to ID? Carré was a prolific builder and was used as a supplier of house frames for many bike shops along with many pros. You might find another color and markings if you remove the current paint. I have a BC frame that was marked Abel Bourne (you see this one alot), another as Mercador, and yet another as Cycles Labée. The tubing set is not unusual. Two of my BC are SV971. BC built to a price point when needed and was not adverse to using Reynolds, Columbus, and Vitus in combinations. The RD cable guide location on the drive stay is a bit unusual as is the location of the TT brake cable guides. AFA dating, I would put it late 70s. I take it there are no markings on the fork crown? Not unusual for there to be none.
Thanks CV-6! I am just looking to trace some of the frame's history. I will look into those brands you mentioned above to see what I can find out. You're right about the fork crowns, no markings are currently visible. There might be some more clues hiding under the paint. Thanks for the insight!
Old 03-28-22, 08:24 AM
Reid_Fleming

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
This JM Duret frame seems to be the closest thing I could find out there:

https://picclick.fr/BERNARD-CARRE-SU...712390034.html
​​​