Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Reevaluating all the bikes again and ranking them.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-22, 09:07 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts

A question over on Paceline about the love of Serotta's got me thinking about my CSI and where I'd place it amongst all my bikes. This led to me trying to rank them all again and my reasoning for where I have them.

1-Giordana XL Super with Athena 11 speed

Just feels perfect under me on the road on every ride. Something magical about it.

2-Fuji Opus III with Suntour Superbe 6 speed DT Friction

Always one of my favorites but once I sourced an old set of Superbe Pro hubbed tubulars it became even so much better.

3-Davidson Impulse with Shimano 600 8 speed

Another one that just feels so good out on the road and is quite beautifully built.

4- Duell Vienna with Campagnolo SR/Record 11 speed

Beautiful bike, great ride, very fast, yet the front can feel soft while not being imprecise.

5-Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Z with Campagnolo Record 10 speed

Sought after Grail Bike, lovely in every aspect

6-David Kirk built Fishlips with Campagnolo Daytona 9 speed

Still learning to appreciate this one but man is it a good ride on the road.

7-Paletti with Campagnolo Chorus 9 speed

Here again wonderful ride that is a true work of art to see.

8-Lemond GP&GS with Shimano Dura Ace 7700/7800 10 speed

One of a handful Greg had custom made for friends. Used to belong to Saturn Pro Tim Swift, great riding bike that has some honest wear to the frame.

9-Lemond Maillot Jaune with Campagnolo Record (?) 8 speed DT indexed

This is usually much higher because it’s so dang good. Bumped it down since it became a bit redundant with the purchase of the Team Z bike. I actually have this listed locally for sale.

10- Pinarello Monviso with Shimana Dura Ace 7700 9 speed

A true beauty both to look at and to ride. A true rocket on the road that is also plenty comfortable. This could be dang near anywhere in the top 10.

11-Trek Y-Foil with Shimano Ultegra R8000 11 speed

Odd duck the is really fast and really comfortable. Subject to strong side gusts of winds though. Gave me my fastest century every despite it being windy that day.

12-PDG Series Paramount with Shimano mix 8 speed

Does everything so well and love the paint scheme. Tempted to refurbish it with a brand new, modern groupset.

13- Serotta CSI with Campagnolo Record (?) 8 speed

Beautiful looking and beautiful riding bike. I just don’t have that strong of a connection with it for some reason.

14- Softride Powercurve with Shimano mix 8 speed

Limited rides on this. Turned in my fastest pace last year though and is a joy to ride on the rough chipseal roads. Got it on a whim just to try one out and now it’s a full on keeper that I’m also thinking about upgrading.

15-Wayne Evans custom with Shimano Dura Ace 7700 9 speed

Custom made for Bob Fourney the 3 time RAAM winner. This was built for a mid 90’s Paris Brest Paris. Wonderful riding bike with a beat up but beautiful paint job. Top tube is a little longer than I prefer.

16-Giordana XL Super with Campagnolo SR/Record 11 speed

Actually an exceptional bike. Got the frame and built it up to be “better and lighter” than my #1 bike above. That said it just lacks the magic for me of the other one. So a redundant bike that is also for sale now locally.

17-Calfee Tetra Pro Campagnolo Record 10 speed

This was tough, truly beautiful recent build. I just can’t seem to get a decent ride on it to see what it can really do. I had a few miles on a recent ride in calm conditions and the bike was suddenly brilliant. I’ve got a feeling this one will move up on the list.

18-Klein Quantum II with Campagnolo mix 10 speed

A bit of a mutant but so very good on the road and with some spectacular paint. Yesterday was the first ride on it since the switch to some deeper C.F. tubular wheels. My legs were flat yesterday so this to may move up the list once I get a few good rides in on it.

19-Trek 5200 with Shimano Ultegra 9 speed triple

Actually turned in my second fastest ride last year and is more comfortable felling than other C.F. bikes I’ve had in the past. This was purpose bought and built up for long mountain climbs with the triple. Still sorting this out too and while quite good it doesn’t stir my soul.

20-Cannondale CAAD8 Optimo Paramount Racing with Shimano Ultegra 9 Speed

Got this last year for the great looking paint job and to see if an old Cannondale was as good as the Klein. Turned into a weight weenie build that is now an even 16 lbs ready to go. Still sorting it out but here again hasn’t really connected with me.

21- Olmo SanRemo with Campagnolo Chorus Record 10 speed

This one is gorgeous, no denying that. But so far the rides on it have been forgettable. I seem to have the same feeling about most of my SL tubed bikes over the years. May be because of my…ummm…. higher weight. I’ve only had a few rides on it though so I’m hoping we connect. Otherwise this will be moved on.

22- Raleigh Team Usa with Suntour Superbe and Sugina Areo Mighty 8 Speed DT friction

Recent pickup solely for the Patriotic paint scheme. Converted from 27” to 700c and have it built up to run as a road or gravel bike. Only one real ride so far setup for gravel and that was so fun!

23-Fausto Coppi being built right now with Dura Ace 7700/7800 mix 10 speed.

Still being built, very unique and beautiful frame. I’m betting this moves way up on the list once it’s built and been ridden a few times.

Anyway just a little morning silliness and musing.....

Last edited by jamesdak; 05-06-22 at 09:12 AM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 05-06-22, 09:29 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
I vote for your Paletti. It's gorgeous. Didn't you get paint on it at one time? It came off I hope?
Old 05-06-22, 09:30 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
This is a great self assessment of one’s collection. Impressive ranking for the Fuji. I suspect it will move onto/up some grail lists here.
Likes For plonz:
Old 05-06-22, 09:35 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by rgvg
I vote for your Paletti. It's gorgeous. Didn't you get paint on it at one time? It came off I hope?
Luckily I was able to get it off with no real issue. That was not a happy day for me.
Old 05-06-22, 09:42 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Too much work to rank 47 bikes in my size and a short synopsis.

good effort.
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-06-22, 09:58 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
jamesdak, I cannot definitively rank my bikes. I have more like a top 3, mid 3, and last 2, but I really like all of them. If I had to choose one bike to keep, I do not know how I would actually make that choice. But, on the other hand, if I had to keep just one specific bike, I would be ok with any of them. Yikes, just thinking about that hurts my head.
Old 05-06-22, 10:19 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Hmm…tough one.

I ranked by the quality of the ride and current performance using current groups. There is such a difference between 9-sp triple Campy and 11-sp DA and stuff in between, and wheel differences. I don’t want to “demote” any one frameset, especially when slapping great wheels and SR11 or DA900 on anything makes it better.

Some were good at the time of issue, and are great now, with subtle changes. Some were hot outta the box. Some were good, but a makeover really transformed them.

The base test for each was at least one century. It is also the reason I do not ride some older friction bikes anymore “for the experience,” because that fades for me about 2 hours in.

It’s only when I suffer on a “built” bike can I pass judgement on it. I’ve mightily suffered on some, only to see redemption with a different set of parts. A couple are still on somewhat thin ice.

On gentle rollers in nice weather, they are all great. I have the fit and saddles I want, try to leave the rest up to the build. Riding WFO or climbing/descending, they start to differ. I like them all, and am excited about an upcoming swap meet. I’m taking 4 and hope to return with 2 different ones.

1. 2016 Wraith Fabrications Hustle SRAM 1x11
1. 2016 Colnago CLX. Super Record 11 (Tie)
Two bikes that can do it all on pavement. Amazing that one is steel and unknown while the other is CF and pedigreed.

2. 2003 Colnago Master Extra Light Dura Ace 9000
2. 1991 Rossin SLX Dura Ace 9000 (Tie)
Hard to believe they are 10+ years apart. Twins in temperament. All day steeds, and still better than most of my fleet. Easily.

3. 2012 Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra Di2 (10sp)
3. 1996 Litespeed Classic DA 9000 (Tie)
My pair of sub-16’s. I’m not as happy after 50 miles, though. They are built for speed. The Di2 is nice, but doesn’t wow me.

4. 1986 Fiorini Ultegra 6800
5. 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert Ultegra 6700
6. 1986 Battaglin SLX Centaur 3x10
7. 1985 Colnago Master Chorus 2x10
8. 1985 Colnago Super Centaur 2x10
9. 1985 Centurion Cinelli Equipe Racing T 3x9sp
This group is so close, I could reverse the order and not worry much.

10. 1992 Paramount PDG Series 5 2x9 DA (downtube)
10. 1996 Giant Cadex CFR-1 2x9 DA (STI)
10. 1985 Raleigh Competition 3x9 Ultegra (downtube Microshifters) (Tie)
Not far behind the group above them. Most days, probably no different, as far as I can tell.

Pending: 1982 Rossin Laser Areodynamic, need to build it out 2x10 DT, 600AX, Ultegra.
Pending: DeRosa or Nagasawa buys and possible "upgrades."

Unknown: Felt VR40 650B gravel build

Last edited by bamboobike4; 05-09-22 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-06-22, 11:18 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,774 Posts
My No. 1 bike is my Cinelli. So is my No. 2, No.3, No.4....
Old 05-06-22, 11:34 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Would love to try a Davison Impulse some day - coming in at number 3 confirms that.
Old 05-06-22, 11:59 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Here is one that has climbed in my would be rankings: 2006 Schwinn Super Sport DBX, Tiagra 9 speed with Truvativ crankset( now 46-38 rings), Deore long cage RD, Microshift cassette 11-32, Vuelta SLX wheelset wth GK 35mm semi-slick. Just a couple of days ago, I switched this from a drop bar to a VO Porteur handlebar, and switched seat post for more set back. I am very much enjoying riding this bike with this set up. I made this switch for riding while I am recovering from acute prostatitis, then tweaking my lower back a couple of weeks ago. I got a good prognosis from the urologist on Wednesday, and my back is just about back to it's usual condition. I am so thrilled with the result, I am pretty sure it is going to stay this way.

Old 05-06-22, 12:17 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by thinktubes
Would love to try a Davison Impulse some day - coming in at number 3 confirms that.
For sale locally, don't know if he'll ship:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post22496638

Showed up locally for sale. Just wish it had older and better parts than the SRAM on it. Just can't see paying that price just to have to deal with ditching those parts are doing something better.

And all just so I can have a Davidson "more manly" than my pink one, LOL!

Last edited by jamesdak; 05-06-22 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-06-22, 12:25 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
How can we know what your bikes look like without pics?
Old 05-06-22, 12:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
My bikes:

1) My 2011 TiCycles ti fix gear. (My avatar) Most fun bike I've ever owned. A superb 1989 race bike, one of the very best on the starting line in that imaginary world where freewheels and gears were never invented and we still raced the mountains like we did 120 years ago, stopping and flipping the rear wheel.

2) the 1979 Peter Mooney as a fix gear. It started as a "do everything but race" bike and was good, but not great at fast day rides, touring, off road ... As a traditional English road bike in the sacred tradition of fix gears, what a ride! And now, with its gorgeous paint job, a delight to look at.

3) My 1976 Fuji Pro I raced for a couple of seasons. Fit perfectly. The tool to support my riding when I was at the highest level this body could achieve. All about performance and simply staying out of the way. Took me through crashes, to the highest speeds I'll ever do, all of my fastest rides, my longest rides and 1000 miles with my best riding partner.

4) My first TiCycles. Perfect fit. Love the ride. But it was/is a bit of an experiment. Not all perfect. (Not Dave Levy's fault. My decisions that I would not back down on.) It has speed wobble issues that have become much worse as I age, come to grips with my mortality and don't descend with an iron hand and resolve anymore. Also currently some real wheel issues from the very tight chainstays and now interference with the front derailleur clamp. (I love the ride and fit from both the short chainstays and all the decisions up front that are causing the speed wobbles.)

5) 1983? Trek 4something winter/rain/city fix gear. The work horse. Nothing fancy at all, just a very good bike that fits, rides well, has no surprises at all and is ready and willing to go anywhere any time. 4th evolution of my original fix gear. Started as a UO-8, then a Japanese sport Schwinn (best frame and ride of the bunch), then a mediocre Sekine, Miyate 610 (highest quality frame but poor fit).

somewhere down the line. Such mixed emotions about that I cannot give it a number) 1973 Lambert that I rode to Michigan, across Wisconsin and started my racing on. Also broke, should have killed me and cost me in ways I also cannot put into numbers. Started my spiritual journey. (Because it was so obvious something was looking after me that day.)

And again somewhere down the line, my first 10-speed (back when we used multiplication). 1967 Peugeot UO-8. $80 new out of my pocket. Became a fix gear first season of racing. Died on a car door, crash number 25(???; there were a lot!) The bike that never left me stranded. In 15 years and 22,000 miles. Broken handlebars on a training ride? No problem. Just nursed the bike to my training partner's house 2 miles away where I knew she had a train schedule on her kitchen door and the house was unlocked. Sure enough, train in 45 minutes. Station a mile away. Other end a mile from home. Wasn't commuter hours and no bikes - until I showed the conductor my handlebar.

And on that note, 1) my Ticycles fix gear (Jessica J) saved my butt once. The builder, myself and the plater combined to break one of metalurgy's laws - if you nickle plate a high strength steel - you MUST heat treat it afterwards to drive out the hydrogen molecules embedded in the steel. Plater knew this full well and never mentioned we needed to cough up another $60 for the hear treat. 3 years and 8000 miles later I was riding my 2000' 40 mile loop to get ready to ride Cycle Oregon fix gear. Got to the high point with all of the descending to go. Put on the tiny cog for the high gear and big grin descents. Couldn't for the life of me get the chain to behave. Tight, loose, tight. Nothing I did got it to ride-able without too tight that might damage bearings. With CO just weeks away, no. So I babied the bike down with way too much chain slack. Flat ground, the normal gear back on. The bike started bucking every time I hit the front brake! What! Got home, took off the front wheel. It was perfect. Spread the fork blades by hand. Right blade bent 30 degrees, easily! Both blades were about to snap off at the crown. Embrittlement from the head treat. I turned around and walked into the house, shaken to my core. I know exactly what that meant. Been there and paid the full price. (Turned out the chain issue was the regular lockring being too big for a 13 tooth cog. I needed to use the 12 tooth bell shaped lockring I had. I look at that as simply the bike looking after me. A keeper.)

The photo of my Avatar is that bike at Cycle Oregon with its two week old 531 fork, a deeply scalloped crack resistant crown, painted by Dave Levy with hobby enamel because there was no time to get a pro paint. It's now done right. Same color with Jessica J running down the right blade.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 05-06-22 at 12:45 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-06-22, 01:31 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
I could never find enough time to ride 23 (or 47) bikes, much less rank them. Write 'em all up? Not in this lifetime. But I am really glad you big-number collectors are out there so I can (1) ogle your bike porn and (2) have ammunition when tell my wife that my collection isn't so voluminous after all.

I have four real riders and one commute bike. The commuter is a 1967 Paramount with upright bars and Shimano 9sp triple. It's does everything I ask it to do with style and without complaint, but it's in a class by itself and really cannot be compared with the riders. .

Of the four other riders, my favorite is the silver 1965ish Cinelli with Campy 10p triple and SPDs. There is a special something, a slight extra spring in its step, that makes it the best riding bike I have ever been on. Yeah, it's heavy, but then so am I. The SP tubing that makes it heavier also makes it stand up to my heaviness. Plus I can fit 32mm tires on it, which I have come to really like.

I'm hard pressed to rank the other three. They've all become special purpose bikes, as the silver Cinelli gets the bulk of my rides. The 1978 Eisentraut is my other Campy 10sp triple/SPD-equipped bike. It has fenders and so is my wet road bike. My 1982ish Ron Cooper (7sp) and my other 1965ish Cinelli (light blue, 5sp) are both Erocia-compliant, although I am considering converting the Cooper back to Campy 10sp triple configuration as it used to be before 2019 Eroica CA. All are top drawer, all have their quirks and special traits, and I like them all very much. But I like the silver Cinelli best of all.

So if I could only keep one, it would be the silver Cinelli, but I would be very sad to lose the other three. If I could only keep two, which of the others would join the silver Cinelli? I don't know. There are upsides and downsides to them all. Let's just say that I'm glad I don't have to make the choice and leave it at that.
Old 05-06-22, 01:31 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
For sale locally, don't know if he'll ship:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post22496638

Showed up locally for sale. Just wish it had older and better parts than the SRAM on it. Just can't see paying that price just to have to deal with ditching those parts are doing something better.

And all just so I can have a Davidson "more manly" than my pink one, LOL!

I assume you are joking. That bike is BA.
They are amazing bikes if you are a 25mm max sort of person. I let mine go for that reason in a tough downsize decision, but it’s one I still miss.
Old 05-06-22, 01:52 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by due ruote
I assume you are joking. That bike is BA.
They are amazing bikes if you are a 25mm max sort of person. I let mine go for that reason in a tough downsize decision, but it’s one I still miss.
Yeah, I love dressing in all hot pink and taking this beast out to slay the C.F riding younger crowd. Now as I get older and slower I might not be able to justify the pink. LOL!
Old 05-06-22, 04:02 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Yup. It also stokes my Seattle pride. It's pretty cool to have a builder of his caliber here.
Old 05-06-22, 06:45 PM
jamesdak 

Well had the best ride of the year today which also served to reinforce my #1 decision. Took the Giordana out and had a great ride. This despite the usual pace killing headwinds, a left hamstring that was hating life, fresh "organic" fertilizer on the fields, and two rude drives. Pace was one of the best of the year despite the winds and away better than what I did yesterday on the Klien and yesterday was calm.

I just LOVE this bike!!

Old 05-06-22, 08:00 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
What about your KHS Aero?
Old 05-06-22, 09:56 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
What about your KHS Aero?
It's gone to the guy I bought to Fishlips bike from. The KHS was always going to be an odd fit for me but I had wanted to see one up close and personnel. As many bikes as I have I also move a bunch on as I get a bit of happiness out of bringing them back to life and then getting them into the hands of someone who will appreciate the effort. Now if I could only figure out how to at least break even doing this, LOL!
Old 05-07-22, 11:28 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Wow -- some of your real collectors put me to shame.

My list is easy:

#1 transportation/beater: Peugeot UO-8

#1-and-only mountain bike, beach cruiser, etc.: Schwinn KOM-10 (my only offroad bike)

fastest (lightest, stiffest frame) bike: Bianchi

beauty queen: 1959 Capo, courtesy of CyclArt

most collectible: arguably the pair of littermate Capo Siegers
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-07-22, 11:48 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
My question for all:
Is ranking bikes more a function of frame/fork characteristics or the touch components that make it fit & feel & ride perfect for one's style of riding?
edit: ...and the tire differences.

Or the drivetrain... many folks' rankings show 8/9/10/11 speed - that surely changes the overall impression, esp for a classic race type bike that may get rated on speed, or ability to hang with the A level rides.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-07-22 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-07-22, 01:27 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
need to put a placeholder for that Kirk custom so you have it for future reviews

he has indicated on instagram he is not building forever

Old 05-07-22, 01:31 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
My ranking system is a bit simpler...

...I love all my bikes equally. It would be like ranking children...!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 05-07-22, 01:51 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
A question over on Paceline about the love of Serotta's got me thinking about my CSI and where I'd place it amongst all my bikes. This led to me trying to rank them all again and my reasoning for where I have them.

1-Giordana XL Super with Athena 11 speed

Just feels perfect under me on the road on every ride. Something magical about it.

2-Fuji Opus III with Suntour Superbe 6 speed DT Friction

Always one of my favorites but once I sourced an old set of Superbe Pro hubbed tubulars it became even so much better.

You might want to consider acquiring a second vintage bicycle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.