Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How bad is this?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How bad is this?

Old 05-05-22, 08:02 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I'm surprised that Wally World had 27" tires of any kind in stock. Around here I can't even find them in bike shops.
We here in upstate NY have had a challenge stocking any tire size to some degree over the last couple of years. That the 630 ISO diameter (what most call 27") are a far less common size then it use to be and that manufactures are struggling to produce the more common sizes (what with the whole C19 thing, I'm sure you've heard of the pandemic) it should be of no surprise that 630 sizes are in short supply (and add that so many people pulled out of their sheds and garages the old bikes of their past to get some sort of activity when gyms and such were closed down).

I have a number of friends who also work in the LBS world with whom I talk about the industry issues. Some shops have done a far better job at managing their restocking needs then other less well run shops have done. Some shops have taken a rather narrow approach to what they can stock, what they can sell and what they are willing to repair (just yesterday I had a discussion w/ a customer about why we won't service his on line bought E bike that uses non bike standard parts and unsupported parts/tech.)

We currently have 4 different types of 630 tires on hand, not many of each but we do have a selection just the same. Would you offer to us where you live and shop? Andy
Old 05-05-22, 08:13 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Those different color sidewalls are terrible for that. Avoid at all cost. IMO.
Old 05-05-22, 08:15 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
they sure don't make tires like they used
What do you expect if buying your bike tires from Walmart?

Walmart is OK for many things, but bikes, bike parts and bike tires isn't one of them.
Old 05-05-22, 10:44 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
What do you expect if buying your bike tires from Walmart? Walmart is OK for many things, but bikes, bike parts and bike tires isn't one of them.
yeah I agree, but I've seen name brand helmets & tube patch kits there, that I might trust

I wonder where he got those "Blackburn" tires. that's not a bad brand, I think, but those new tubes ... can't tell what brand they are
Old 05-05-22, 01:54 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yeah I agree, but I've seen name brand helmets & tube patch kits there, that I might trust.
I would suspect that even merchandise from "name brands" might not be the manufacturer's highest-quality product.
Old 05-05-22, 06:09 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
“Blackburn” is the tire brand that WalMart currently sells. Prolly not for the elite cyclist but I suspect they will be fine on the OP’s ‘80s road bike. They are likely a bit heavy but again, prolly OK. A while back, they were ~$20 at my local WalMart. I think now they’re ~$24. I believe that the OP paid a fair price. On-line purchase might have been a tiny bit less expensive but would have had to wait a few days (and wanted/needed them “yesterday” ).
Old 05-07-22, 09:07 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
I think the Blackburn tires might actually be made by innova or something.

They’re probably good tires.
Old 05-08-22, 05:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
“Blackburn” is the tire brand that WalMart currently sells. Prolly not for the elite cyclist but I suspect they will be fine on the OP’s ‘80s road bike. They are likely a bit heavy but again, prolly OK. A while back, they were ~$20 at my local WalMart.).
way more affordable than the $45+ Armadillos I used to use, when I was still riding 27" tires

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-08-22 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-08-22, 06:55 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,874 Times in 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
What do you expect if buying your bike tires from Walmart?

Walmart is OK for many things, but bikes, bike parts and bike tires isn't one of them.
If you're referring to the tires on the bike in the photos, those tires were likely manufactured before Walmart was a twinkle in Sam Walton's eye.

OK, not quite that long ago, but where those tires were sold is irrelevant. Many an expensive tire has dry-rotted or been cut by a badly placed brake pad. The OP's tires may well be original to the bike.

Last edited by Trakhak; 05-08-22 at 06:59 AM.