Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Down with helmet laws?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Down with helmet laws?

Old 03-09-22, 08:20 AM
kyplaskon

Bikes: Old ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Down with helmet laws?

NY Times: Seattle Bike Helmet Rule Is Dropped Amid Racial Justice Concerns

Sorry, I can't post links yet. I have heard that in cities without so many car conflicts, helmets are not necessary. So, we wear helmets just because of cars? Should we really be enforcing helmet laws on the homeless and people of color?
Old 03-09-22, 08:39 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
There is already a thread on it.

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...forcement.html
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 03-09-22, 11:13 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Helmet laws were devised by the automobile lobby to give the impression that cycling is dangerous.

It would make more sense for driving helmets but it's surprising that with so many safety features in a car (seatbelts, airbags and ABS brakes) nobody considers how dangerous driving is.
Old 03-09-22, 11:51 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Helmet laws were devised by the automobile lobby to give the impression that cycling is dangerous.
Smells like a conspiracy theory.
Old 03-09-22, 12:05 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts

It would make more sense for driving helmets but it's surprising that with so many safety features in a car (seatbelts, airbags and ABS brakes) nobody considers how dangerous driving is.
Geez dude....I'm no fan of the automobile industry (nor the insurance companies), but that's sounds conspiratorial and a little paranoid.

BTW, I'm against any helmet law for adults, but I'm ok with kids having to wear helmets...how about you?

Old 03-09-22, 12:43 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Sounds like a conspiracy uncovered by "Q" or one of his minions. Any references for this "fact" or do you take credit for this revelation?
Old 03-09-22, 01:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
This is the third, actually. A thread on the King County action was already merged into the eternal helmet thread.
Old 03-09-22, 03:00 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
BTW, I'm against any helmet law for adults, but I'm ok with kids having to wear helmets...how about you?
No. That is the child's guardians role to enforce, not a law.
Old 03-11-22, 01:51 PM
asmak

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm returning to bike forums after a few years absence; it's nice to see the same old issues like putting on a comfortable pair of old shoes. And no, I wasn't in jail.
We have a helmet law for children and it's always amused me to see that most adults wear helmets and most children don't unless they're with their parents. Go figure.
Old 03-11-22, 02:16 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
In the wake of bicycle helmet laws many cyclists have found themselves stereotyped as protesters. It all stems from bicycle helmets became fashionable with the "take over Wall Streeters" and then were very conspicuous at all of the pre Covid protests (riots) ............ in Minneapolis bicyclists were often detained by police because they were wearing helmets AND in the vicinity of civil disturbances > the LEOs considered them potential rioters
Old 04-24-22, 11:13 PM
vascoboy

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
“Jaywalking”…history & etymology….

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Sounds like a conspiracy uncovered by "Q" or one of his minions. Any references for this "fact" or do you take credit for this revelation?
consider how the word “jaywalking” became to be…it was a created snd perpetuated by the auto industry: victim blaming in response to the growing # of pedestrain injuries/fatalities after the model T Ford…Some research (australia, recent legislation) and you’ll find this conspiracy is not too far off the mark…
Old 04-25-22, 05:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by vascoboy
consider how the word “jaywalking” became to be…it was a created snd perpetuated by the auto industry: victim blaming in response to the growing # of pedestrain injuries/fatalities after the model T Ford…Some research (australia, recent legislation) and you’ll find this conspiracy is not too far off the mark…

Uh, got anything that connects that jaywalking history with helmet laws that were enacted many decades after that? Mentioning Australia but not showing any automobile industry involvement is not exactly convincing.

The jaywalking thing is obviously irrelevant, there's no history of a major change in casualty rates occurring before mandatory helmet laws were enacted, nor is there any indication that there was any kind of threat to car usage that would have caused automobile interests to lobby for this. I believe you'll find a large number of neurologists pushing for it, and pediatricians.

To the extent that the auto industry had any influence on it, it's that overcoming the industry's resistance to seat belts and air bags through regulation provided a model for people who wanted to impose the helmet requirement.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-25-22, 08:53 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Unfortunately some parents are so dumb that things like helmet laws for children get passed. I'll bet some of the people who pushed for the law in CA were emergency room workers and pediatricians who see too many injured children where the injuries might have been prevented or lessened by wearing a helmet.
I observed it first hand when I took my recumbent trike out on Friday. The dad across the street from me was teaching his young daughter who is maybe about 6 years old to ride a bike. She fell four times within minutes and riding just a couple of houses away. No helmet supplied. After the last fall I saw him dragging the bike in one hand and a bawling child in the other. Lessons over for the day.
Old 04-25-22, 09:05 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
While I support everyone using a helmet while riding, I do not support government law making everyone us a helmet. It is jus another revenue stream for B'crats.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 04-26-22, 11:25 AM
dirtchurch

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I think a helmet is great for protecting your noggin in most situations - not just biking. A tree could fall on your head as you are walking down the street. However, unless you are super risk averse AND don't care about what other people think about you, you'll probably only wear helmets in high risk situations. Biking in busy roadways is a good example of that. Biking on quiet streets or bike paths/lanes, it's probably not as important to wear a helmet.
Likes For dirtchurch:
Old 04-26-22, 10:11 PM
Froyd Stellar

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 5 Posts
As far as I'm concerned I'd be OK if they dropped seatbelt requirements; have fun with that. I live in PA where motorcyclist don't have to wear helmets. I like to joke that these kinds of laws improve the human gene pool, then I remember that I take my life in my own hands being on a bike around traffic, so I'm sure many drivers look at me as future roadkill too, despite me wearing a helmet.
Old 04-27-22, 10:42 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
I bet you can buy a new skull on Amazon now, but the brain installation might take longer than you expect (budget for that). Skip the helmet - or only wear it on the days you PLAN to fall off.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 05-18-22, 06:39 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,305 Times in 1,365 Posts
Interesting article about rural medicine......and helmets.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...life-1.6439365
Old 05-18-22, 09:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Most of the deaths in automobiles are from head trauma. Maybe people in cars should wear helmets too.

Despite any of that, I'm glad I had on a helmet when I had my first ever really bad crash in 2019. I probably would be dead or I'd be a vegetable and more brain damaged than I already am! <grin>

edit.... drats, a zombie thread. Why didn't you start a new thread?
Old 05-18-22, 10:29 AM
vidpet

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm mostly afraid of bumping my head into something if i fall on the bike lane or something
obviously cars are also a factor, but i wouldnt limit the concern just for them
Old 05-18-22, 02:14 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by kyplaskon

Sorry, I can't post links yet. I have heard that in cities without so many car conflicts, helmets are not necessary. So, we wear helmets just because of cars? Should we really be enforcing helmet laws on the homeless and people of color?
We don’t wear helmets just because of cars.
If we don’t enforce helmet laws on the homeless and people of color do we also not impose the laws on all very poor people in general?
And if so, how does that get enforced?
Forget that for a second though.
If we stick to the original plan, how do the people responsible for enforcing the laws know that a cyclist is homeless?
Do we tag them like wildlife?
Old 05-18-22, 03:39 PM
TLit

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I'm not a fan of excess safety laws; probably would be useful in some high risk situations, in the city etc.. Loss of visibility needs to be considered too.
Old 05-19-22, 05:46 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
GTFOOH! lol
Old 05-19-22, 06:48 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by kyplaskon

Hmmm. Can I say what I *really* want to here? Nah, better not.
Old 05-19-22, 07:07 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Freedom is a good thing.
Likes For jon c.:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.