Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Handlebar upgrade - wing/not, shallow/not, Easton/FSA/other, etc.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-28-07, 09:56 AM
MSC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade to a new set of allow handlebars. The stock ITM Super Over 330 (44 cm) on my Litespeed is fine on the hoods/tops, but not at all comfortable for me in the drops. I'm 5'9" and ~ 175 lbs. with somewhat small hands, which may explain why I've never much liked the ITM's deep drop. I ride mostly on the hoods and tops, but this is partially a function of the uncomfortable position in the drops with the ITM.

Anyway, I'm considering moving to a wing bar, such as the EA30/70 or FSA Wing Pro, but I'm also considering a shallow drop bar (e.g, FSA Wing Pro compact). Anyone have experience with shallow bars vs. regular drop? Your thoughts on wing vs. standard ergo (and on other brands to consider) would be helpful, too.

Thanks,

MSC
Madison, WI
Litespeed Firenze '04
Old 05-28-07, 10:05 AM
gunnar1947

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might look at the Salsa Poco handlebars. They're made for smaller rider or others that prefer a shorter reach and shallower drop. They do come in widths up to 44cm. https://www.salsacycles.com/handlebars.html
Old 05-28-07, 10:29 AM
Ramjm_2000

Bikes: Too many...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got the new Wing Pro Compacts on 2 of my bikes and recently put one on my wifes. They are without a doubt the most comfortable bar I've used. Not the lightest but very comfy and transitions well to campy shifters. Oh yea Mr. Di Luca likes them as well.
Old 05-28-07, 04:19 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Based on your smaller hands, dislike for deep drops and requirement to be more comfortable in the drops I think the standout choice would be Deda's, either Newtons or 215's with shallow drop/Italian curves. These are shallow, classic curve bars that suit smaller hands better and will be far more comfortable in the drops. I havent used them myself as the narowest size at 40cm is still too wide for me as I use 38 cm bars with a classic curve but I have spoken to others who use them and realy like them.

They find them a little squeezy with the shallow drops but don't plan to change back anytime soon.

Regards, Anthony
Old 05-28-07, 04:26 PM
ManBearPig
1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be wary of mounting limitations on ergo bars, e.g. wing bars. For some, you either cannot mount many conventional cycling computers, or else have to find a specialty mounting bracket. Also, be wary the limitations of carbon fiber bars generally for mounting clamp-on aero bars, if you ever intend to use those temporarily (aero bars are really only "correct" for specific purposes like TTs and triathalons, but you might still want to put them on at some point).

In view of these limitations, I use FSA's lightest conventional carbon round bar.
Old 05-28-07, 06:59 PM
Clevor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's really best to find an LBS that has a large selection of high end handlebars, and try them out. As I found out, it's easy to find them in Japan. One shop even had the Deda Campione (Champion?) bar that the pros use, as well as a discontinued Easton EC90 Pro with round drops. The store also had Deda Alaneras (that bar/stem weighs a ton).

I don't have that big hands, but I found the Deda shallow bars to be too cramped. I liked the Easton EC90Pro bar a lot, 'cept the bar in the store was a 25.6 mm clamp so I passed on it. I actually liked the drops of FSA bars a bit, 'though I would have never considered them earlier.

Richey makes shallow drop bars they call the 'Classic', though I didn't like them. Same deal with wing bars, try them out. I tried the 3TTT Morph and it didn't do much for me. If you get my drift, it's really best to test the bars in person. You may find too that a bar you like isn't one of the lighter ones.