Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ritchey WCS 110 V compact vs. Shimano R600?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08, 12:13 AM
MSC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm currently running Ultegra 9 (39/53 in front, 12-25 in back) on my 2004 Litespeed Firenze. I'm replacing the cassette with an Ultegra 12-27, but I'd also like to go compact up front. After much research, it seems the best "bang for the buck" option is either:

Shimano's R600 (https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=15754) or

Ritchey's WCS 110 V (https://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?sku=20106).

It seems that most people using both of these cranks are quite satisfied, but I'm still trying to choose. The Ritchey costs less (~$120) and doesn't require a new Hollowtech II bottom bracket like the R600 (~175 for both). So, I'm inclined to go that route, but I'm wondering if anyone has used both and can speak to a comparison. How does the Ritchey compare to the Ultegra 9 Octalink in terms of stiffness/quality? Is there any merit to the Shimano claims about its compacts having better shifting with standard derailleurs due to the "compact specific chainrings"? Is Hollowtech II worth the upgrade over Octalink? In short, is the additional cost of the R600 option worth it?

Thoughts welcome,

MSC
Old 08-13-08, 09:45 AM
pjcampbell
fair weather cyclist

Bikes: Colnago c50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I had a WCS for many many miles, it was fine. I would say just a regular old solid crank. I did not change anything, just had to move front-D down and adjust.

I went from an older DA crank and couldn't tell any difference in stiffness.
Old 08-13-08, 09:47 AM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Bikes: Light.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R600 shifts a lot better than Ritchey's gear.
Old 08-13-08, 09:49 AM
bsyptak
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the Ritchey is lighter.
Old 08-13-08, 09:52 AM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bsyptak
I think the Ritchey is lighter.
You are forgetting the 250 grams of bottom bracket that is already in the Original Poster's frame.
Old 08-13-08, 09:56 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
I can't give you a direct comparison, but I'm real happy with my R600 crankset. It replaced a Ritchey Cyclocross ISIS crankset (48/38 rings) on my Fuji. When I got it last year Pro Bike Kit was selling it for under $100 including the bearing cups. The R600 felt stiffer than the old crank but that could just be the placebo effect plus new vs. five year old bottom bracket.

I don't see the R600 on the PBK site now, but they do have the Tiagra level compact crank for $80 (not including bearing cups): https://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=np05802

But I'd think that the extra for the Ritchey would be worth it. $120 looks to be a good price for that crank.
Old 08-13-08, 09:59 AM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by telebianchi
I can't give you a direct comparison, but I'm real happy with my R600 crankset. It replaced a Ritchey Cyclocross ISIS crankset (48/38 rings) on my Fuji. When I got it last year Pro Bike Kit was selling it for under $100 including the bearing cups. The R600 felt stiffer than the old crank but that could just be the placebo effect plus new vs. five year old bottom bracket.

I don't see the R600 on the PBK site now, but they do have the Tiagra level compact crank for $80 (not including bearing cups): https://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=np05802

But I'd think that the extra for the Ritchey would be worth it. $120 looks to be a good price for that crank.
Good price for a blah crank does not compute.
Old 08-13-08, 09:59 AM
MSC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I've seen that Tiagra/4550 deal in PBK. Seems almost too good to pass up, but am I sacrificing quality/stiffness in going to that from Ultegra 6500? The Shimano specs show that the outer chainring is the only real difference between the 4550 and R600, but I don't know how much quality difference that really is.
Old 08-13-08, 10:01 AM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSC
Yes, I've seen that Tiagra/4550 deal in PBK. Seems almost too good to pass up, but am I sacrificing quality/stiffness in going to that from Ultegra 6500? The Shimano specs show that the outer chainring is the only real difference between the 4550 and R600, but I don't know how much quality difference that really is.
If you aren't getting paid to ride, then get whatever is cheapest.

Shimano's stuff works great, making it very hard to buy a "bad" component.
Old 08-13-08, 10:52 AM
MSC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps, but then we should all ride Sora, right? Of course, the R4550, R600, Ritchey, and my 6500 are all quality components. The question is, are there any noticeable differences (even if they're slight) and what's the best buy/option given that the costs are similar?

It sounds like you've had better experience with the R600 than the Ritchey...could you elaborate?
Old 08-13-08, 10:55 AM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSC
Perhaps, but then we should all ride Sora, right? Of course, the R4550, R600, Ritchey, and my 6500 are all quality components. The question is, are there any noticeable differences (even if they're slight) and what's the best buy/option given that the costs are similar?

It sounds like you've had better experience with the R600 than the Ritchey...could you elaborate?
Ritchey rings are some pretty mediocre stuff compared to Shimano's gear.

Even Ritchey's standard cranksets have some shifting issues.

You can save money by using Ritchey, but there will be some headaches involved when adjusting and using the front dérailleur.

Both are plenty stiff for whatever it is you are doing.
Old 08-13-08, 10:58 AM
bsyptak
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BananaTugger
You are forgetting the 250 grams of bottom bracket that is already in the Original Poster's frame.
No I'm not.

WCS 570g
6500 BB=235g (WW)
Total: 805g

R600 830g
BB 98g (Ultegra)
Total: 928g

R700 is a little lighter at about 870 total, but still heavier.