Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

6-speed freewheel suggestions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 01:54 PM
mfcity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, I thought about posting in Classic/vintage, since this would relate to older bikes, but it's more of a mechanical issue--I wondered what people have found works well as a replacement/upgrade 6-speed freewheel. I've got a mid-80s Super Galaxy, currently with 5 speed freewheel, Maillard Sachs type, and I'd like a bit more range and maybe smoother running. Local bike shops have either the Shimano Tourney or the Sunrace equivalent 6-speed. I've also seen a few odd 'Mega range' freewheels available, going up to 34t in the lowest gear... not sure the chain would be long enough, though.
Does anybody have experience with other freewheels? Is it possible to switch to Campy here, or a higher 'level' of Shimano? My chain is in good shape, and I'm hopeful that the angled teeth on the Shimano Tourney would make things a bit smoother already.
I suppose another possible option would be a 7-speed, as there's a fair amount of margin there, though I'd have to stock to friction shifting, as the 105 shifter is only 6-speed. Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-09-15, 02:12 PM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
any shimano 6 speed freewheel should work for you . I would stay away from Sunrace , they cheap and don't last very long . you might need to spread the frame alittle for the new one to fit .
Old 06-09-15, 02:39 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
No idea what a Super Galaxy is, but does it have French threaded hubs?
IF so, you need a French FW.
Old 06-09-15, 02:43 PM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
maybe you want to check the "OLD" width. many 5 speeds were 120MM and 6 speeds are 126MM.
Old 06-09-15, 02:59 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
My favorite freewheels are Shimano's Dura-Ace and 600 models from the mid-80s. They're getting harder to find, though, and the cost is going up. I suspect a modern IRD or SunRace freewheel ought to work well enough. Don't even think about Campagnolo freewheels, unless you have money to burn and don't mind a 28T maximum size large cog, assuming you can even find one. Depending on the specifics of the new freewheel, you may need to adjust or replace the rear derailleur, change the chain length, and/or re-space and re-dish the rear wheel to get clearance.
Old 06-09-15, 03:33 PM
eusebio

Bikes: '85 Bridgestone 400

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I go through freewheels pretty quickly. The DNP EPOCH 5 Speed Index Freewheel Bike 14-24 is cheap and sturdy. It'll also fit your hub and frame perfectly. I agree SunRace wasn't my favorite freewheel. I have found cheaper freewheels than SunRace that perform better.

I have ridden my friend's Shimano Dura-Ace. They are amazing but out of my price range.
Old 06-09-15, 03:44 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Well I found out your Super Galaxy is a Dawes touring bike. If you can fit a 7 speed freewheel in there instead of a 6 speed you will have more of a selection and get hyperglide. As mentioned above you need to measure the overall dimension between the locknuts on the hub or the distance between the dropouts on the frame.

As also mentioned Shimano Dura Ace and 600 are my first choices in a 6 speed uniglide freewheel. The same for 7 speed and I would add a Sachs Aris that indexes fine with Shimano. You can go with more range (32t/34t) if you swap out the rear derailleur to one with a longer cage. It doesn't have to be a 6 speed derailleur to work with a 6 speed freewheel. I don't know if an 8 or 9 speed with narrow pulleys will have enough room between the cage side plates for a wider 6 speed chain, but indexing should not be a problem. I run 7 speed chains with 9 speed derailleurs with no issues. I'm sure someone can provide better info on whether a 6 speed chain will run through an 8/9 speed derailleur.

John
Old 06-09-15, 03:57 PM
eusebio

Bikes: '85 Bridgestone 400

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
As mentioned above you need to measure the overall dimension between the locknuts on the hub or the distance between the dropouts on the frame.

I'm sure someone can provide better info on whether a 6 speed chain will run through an 8/9 speed derailleur.

John
+1 on measuring the dropouts of the frame. I ride a 48t/24t (a smaller ratio) on a "supposed" 7/8 speed chain that is too small for my set-up. I am using a 5 speed freewheeler atm. I think the number of links tells more about a rig working correctly than what the manufacturer deems as a 6/7/8 or 9 speed chain.
Old 06-09-15, 04:09 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
The Tourney (TZ 20?) 6-speed freewheel is about as good as anyone needs. Clean-shifting Hyperglide cogs, and an innovative design that removes a lot of weight.

I have about 100 pounds of freewheels and freewheel cogs that include multiples of Sachs (6,7 and 8 speeds), Dura-Ace (6 and 7 speeds), Shimano 600, and several Suntour units (Winner, Winner Pro, New Winner etc.). Plus newer freewheels such as Sunrace, Shimano, Falcon etc.

I am guessing that the super-hard Dura-Ace freewheel cogs would outlast the Tourney ones by years, but the Tourney freewheel costs what? $12? An outstanding value.

BTW: I have only come across one used bike in which the chain was *not* worn out. Out of hundreds of bikes. Chains are cheap. Buy cheap and replace often.

Last edited by Dave Mayer; 06-09-15 at 04:17 PM.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 06-10-15, 03:21 AM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for not specifying; in the UK, Dawes Super Galaxies are pretty common. I'm not sure about the hubs, but I'm posting some photos. The smallest sprocket says MAILLARD, if that's an indication.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC02382.jpg (48.0 KB, 385 views)
Old 06-10-15, 03:28 AM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another point I should have mentioned. The dropouts measure 120mm, and I don't have calipers to easily check the OLD, but as shown in this photo, there is some room, as the dropouts aren't tight to the locknuts. I would estimate there's maybe 6mm on the side (so I have to first tighten the QR skewers to press the dropouts in, before actually tightening the lever to hold the axle in place).
Attached Images
DSC02379.jpg (92.9 KB, 398 views)
DSC02380.jpg (92.7 KB, 392 views)
Old 06-10-15, 03:29 AM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeman715
I would stay away from Sunrace , they cheap and don't last very long .
OK, thanks for this advice.
Old 06-10-15, 03:30 AM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
No idea what a Super Galaxy is.
This is the bike.
Attached Images
DSC02388.jpg (53.6 KB, 405 views)
Old 06-10-15, 03:39 AM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
My favorite freewheels are Shimano's Dura-Ace and 600 models from the mid-80s. They're getting harder to find, though, and the cost is going up. [...] you may need to adjust or replace the rear derailleur, change the chain length, and/or re-space and re-dish the rear wheel to get clearance.
Great stuff! I'm going to have a look around for these. My derailleur is a Shimano 105 from a 7-speed bike, so I would hope it would fit nicely with the 600 or Dura-Ace stuff. Would they likely give me a lower lowest gear, or just smaller steps? My current freewheel is 12-24T. Is this the type of 600 model you mean?
Attached Images
S600.jpg (92.7 KB, 393 views)
Old 06-10-15, 03:46 AM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
The Tourney (TZ 20?) 6-speed freewheel is about as good as anyone needs. Clean-shifting Hyperglide cogs, and an innovative design that removes a lot of weight.

I am guessing that the super-hard Dura-Ace freewheel cogs would outlast the Tourney ones by years, but the Tourney freewheel costs what? $12? An outstanding value.

BTW: I have only come across one used bike in which the chain was *not* worn out. Out of hundreds of bikes. Chains are cheap. Buy cheap and replace often.
Yes, I've been looking at the Shimano TZ-20, and this is all useful info. Also considering finding the freewheel remover and doing the job myself. Are the old 600/Dura-Ace ones also hyperglide?

I bought the bike used, but the chain seemed to have just been replaced.
Old 06-10-15, 05:27 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
My favorite freewheels are Shimano's Dura-Ace and 600 models from the mid-80s. They're getting harder to find, though, and the cost is going up. I suspect a modern IRD or SunRace freewheel ought to work well enough. Don't even think about Campagnolo freewheels, unless you have money to burn and don't mind a 28T maximum size large cog, assuming you can even find one. Depending on the specifics of the new freewheel, you may need to adjust or replace the rear derailleur, change the chain length, and/or re-space and re-dish the rear wheel to get clearance.
+ 1 on 80s Shimano. I also like Suntour from similar era but they are also getting pricey and hard to find. they are also confusing because there are multiple versions with the word Winner in the name ( Winner, New Winner, Winner Pro, and Winner again). One's marked "Ultra spacing" will work with 120mm spaced dropouts.
Old 06-10-15, 06:21 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by mfcity
Great stuff! I'm going to have a look around for these. My derailleur is a Shimano 105 from a 7-speed bike, so I would hope it would fit nicely with the 600 or Dura-Ace stuff. Would they likely give me a lower lowest gear, or just smaller steps? My current freewheel is 12-24T.
With that size freewheel, you likely have a short-cage rear derailleur. To get a lower gear, you'd want a wider range freewheel, which would likely need a new chain and a long-cage derailleur to wrap the additional chain needed.

Is this the type of 600 model you mean?
Mechanically, those are very nice, but I prefer the slightly newer version that uses the more secure splined remover:

Old 06-10-15, 06:22 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by DOS
I also like Suntour from similar era but they are also getting pricey and hard to find.
Mechanically, SunTour are also quite nice, but I prefer the splined remover the Shimanos used.
Old 06-10-15, 07:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Malliard did not survive the Sachs buy out by Sram , the take over had no interest in their company.

Now the spline shimano remover is common in many SEA freewheels as is the hyperglide pattern cog toothing..
Old 06-10-15, 08:09 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Another point I should have mentioned. The dropouts measure 120mm, and I don't have calipers to easily check the OLD, but as shown in this photo, there is some room, as the dropouts aren't tight to the locknuts. I would estimate there's maybe 6mm on the side (so I have to first tighten the QR skewers to press the dropouts in, before actually tightening the lever to hold the axle in place).
probably 126mm OLD. which means, IME, that the frame is designed for a 7-speed, or has been intentionally widened to accommodate a 7-speed hub/freewheel. i'd try the nicest 7 speed freewheel i could find. the Shimano 7-speed Mega freewheels, as previously mentioned are very nice. they don't make them AFAIK anymore. but they were available in a 12-28t. i know this because i've got two of them.
Old 06-10-15, 09:49 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
The 14-34T 7-speed MegaRange freewheels are still available, FWIW.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-10-15, 10:48 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Yes, I've been looking at the Shimano TZ-20, and this is all useful info. Also considering finding the freewheel remover and doing the job myself. Are the old 600/Dura-Ace ones also hyperglide?
The 80s and early 90s vintage Shimano 600 and Dura-Ace freewheels had cogs based on their own 'Uniglide' system. The cogs featured twisted teeth to help pick up the chain on upshifts. In the late 80s and beyond, Shimano transitioned to a more sophisticated set of cogs and chains called Hyperglide. Apparently they were designed using high-speed cameras that recorded many hours of chain-cog interactions.

Anyway, Uniglide was an improvement over the awful Italian and French freewheels that preceded them, and that I rode for decades. I don't know how many Regina ORO freewheels I broke or just wore out. Good riddance to all of that crap.

Based on a gazillion miles riding on freewheels, here are my rankings of the smoothness and speed of shifting for different freewheels. Higher is better:
  • Atom, Regina, Everest - old French and Italian crap: 3
  • Shimano Uniglide: 5
  • Suntour with the later chisel-shaped cogs: 6
  • Sachs: 8
  • Suntour Powershift: 8
  • Shimano Hyperglide and knock-offs from Sunrace: 9.

This is all relative to the Camapgnolo Record 10-speed system I've been riding to work lately. I'm rating it a 10.

Best ever shifting: Shimano Alfine 8-speed internal gear hub. No overshifts, undershifts, missed shifts. No noise, no hesitation. Fastest 'gear' transitions I've ever experienced. No maintenance after 5 years. I would have to rate this a 15.
Old 06-10-15, 12:31 PM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer

Based on a gazillion miles riding on freewheels, here are my rankings of the smoothness and speed of shifting for different freewheels. Higher is better:
  • Atom, Regina, Everest - old French and Italian crap: 3
  • Shimano Uniglide: 5
  • Suntour with the later chisel-shaped cogs: 6
  • Sachs: 8
  • Suntour Powershift: 8
  • Shimano Hyperglide and knock-offs from Sunrace: 9.

This is all relative to the Camapgnolo Record 10-speed system I've been riding to work lately. I'm rating it a 10.

Best ever shifting: Shimano Alfine 8-speed internal gear hub. No overshifts, undershifts, missed shifts. No noise, no hesitation. Fastest 'gear' transitions I've ever experienced. No maintenance after 5 years. I would have to rate this a 15.
@ Dave Mayer
Thank you! I love this whole post, which has given me plenty of useful leads. Anyone else think this should be sticky, for old-school mechanics?
My current Maillard FW must be grouped in the 'old French crap,' which I can accept .
Has anyone tried the Sturmey-Archer 8-speed hubs to compare with Alfine? They're def. not cheap, but seem to be the only hub of that kind for narrower old frames like this one.
Old 06-10-15, 12:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
8th cog on a freewheel is a bridge to far.. have to tear down the last 2 cogs to grip the freewheel tool.
+ the axle is even more likely to Break

time to just go with a freehub at 8 speed if wanting derailleurs.

reading the specs: the gearing in the 8 speed S-A IGH is all overdrives but the 1st one .. best suited in little wheels .
Or, You have to run a chainring less than 30t to have much in the way of a low gear with the 20.23.or 25t hub cogs.

Alfine/nexus the near 1:1 gear is towards the middle so some Reduction and some Overdrive ratios.

3 speed .. 1 over and 1 under middle is direct. 5 speed adds 1 higher & 1 Lower..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-10-15 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 12:54 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Has anyone tried the Sturmey-Archer 8-speed hubs to compare with Alfine? They're def. not cheap, but seem to be the only hub of that kind for narrower old frames like this one.
The SA 8 speed is made for a bike with 20" wheels. It has a 1:1 first gear ratio. To get usable gearing with 700c wheels, you have to use a tiny chain ring. I've seen it done, but it looks ridiculous and it puts a lot of stress on the hub.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.