Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Huret Allvit rear derailleur

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-22, 01:49 PM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts

I'm trying to disassemble a Huret Allvit RD just to clean it up, re-lube, and re-assemble. I'm stuck on the jockey wheels. I've got one free of the cage, but I'm not sure how to get to the ball bearings. The other one, I can't get the nuts loose to remove it from the cage. The nuts are circular with two flats, so a socket won't fit; I think my only option is an open-end wrench. The nuts are low-profile, too, so it's easy to slip when you apply torque to the wrench. Any tips?

Old 05-23-22, 02:01 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3504 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
Make sure you have the right-sized wrench?
Old 05-23-22, 07:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 2,303 Posts
A cone wrench (IIRC 13mm) will fit these pulley cones. Like some low cost front hubs, the cone/bearing preload is held by the cage bolts (axle nuts in the hub example). So some trial and try again is the usual process to find both the best cone/pulley spin after pulley bolts are tightened.

For a budding wrench these Allvit ders are a great training ground for basic assembly skills. How to set bolts and lock nuts to allow for freely moving pivots but no slop. How to work with springs that fight your fingers. And the older bike need, how to adjust cup and cone bearings. Andy
Old 05-23-22, 09:27 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Yes, as Andrew says you need a cone wrench to remove the jockey wheel from the derailleur cage
Old 05-25-22, 08:13 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
A cone wrench (IIRC 13mm) will fit these pulley cones. Like some low cost front hubs, the cone/bearing preload is held by the cage bolts (axle nuts in the hub example). So some trial and try again is the usual process to find both the best cone/pulley spin after pulley bolts are tightened.

For a budding wrench these Allvit ders are a great training ground for basic assembly skills. How to set bolts and lock nuts to allow for freely moving pivots but no slop. How to work with springs that fight your fingers. And the older bike need, how to adjust cup and cone bearings. Andy
13mm cone wrench was a good call. It was still a minor struggle with my stamped-steel Harbor Freight set, but they did the trick.