Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Prescription sunglasses for bad eyes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 05:41 PM
pharmboyrx

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for sunglasses. The only problem is that my prescription is a -7.5 sphere. (I think its a -, whichever one makes you nearsighted)

I'm told that I can't get sunglasses in sports style frames with my Rx.

Anyone in the same boat find a wrap or semi wrap frame that will take this bad of an Rx?

I searched but I didn't find anything that answered my question.
Old 04-06-06, 05:51 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by pharmboyrx
I'm looking for sunglasses. The only problem is that my prescription is a -7.5 sphere. (I think its a -, whichever one makes you nearsighted)

I'm told that I can't get sunglasses in sports style frames with my Rx.

Anyone in the same boat find a wrap or semi wrap frame that will take this bad of an Rx?

I searched but I didn't find anything that answered my question.
I don't believe subscriptions that strong can be wrapped (at least that's what I was told when I used to wear glasses). I wound up turning to LASIK to solve my problem, but that's quite spendy.
Old 04-06-06, 05:52 PM
zfeldman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could look at an insert. I recently bought the tifosi insert, mostly because it was cheap. They aren't working great yet because walmart messed up my prescription. I'm -3.00 and I went with the cheap plastic. If you shelled out the money for extra high index an insert may work for -7.5.
Old 04-06-06, 05:54 PM
Namenda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't know about the Rx sunglasses, but how about contacts? You could wear any sunglasses you want...
Old 04-06-06, 05:58 PM
zfeldman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people just can't comfortably wear contact anymore (too many years of wearing). I can still wear them on a ride, but it's a pain to put them in a take them out for an hour or so ride. Having the prescription inserts is nice for that.
Old 04-06-06, 06:18 PM
pharmboyrx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't wear contacts. There isn't one that matches my left eye Rx and I end up with double vision.

Can anyone recommend a nonwrap style of sunglass frames that would work for cycling?

With the inserts do you get more freedom with the prescription?
Old 04-06-06, 08:32 PM
dharsojo
06 Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try Rudy Project. They have several styles that you can do Rx with insert or direct in frame Rx. They are pricey though.
Old 04-06-06, 09:19 PM
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Bikes: see sig, and others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...TOKEN=29846391
Old 04-06-06, 10:37 PM
rat_factory
= cyclist's tan

Bikes: '82 Miyata 310, '87 Scott Boulder, '87 Schwinn Le Tour, '91 Cannondale SM500, '96 Schwinn Clear Creek, '99 Schwinn MesaGS, '05 Rockhopper

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
pharmboyrx, i know your pain. i have a -8.5 sphere with -3 cylinder.

lasik is out cause i'm too young. no doctor will touch a 21 year old's eyes. years of contact wear has ruined my eyes for wearing them. clip on sunglasses found at my local sprawlmart work on cloudier days, but the two lenses have lots of glare, that and theyre not aero or swept back. right now wear regular rx glasses and do without sunglasses, but i might buy this:

not much sun protection, but it seems it may keep the wind out.

oh and rx cyling glasses with inserts are not really practical considering my $580 lens cost.
Old 04-06-06, 11:04 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try a pair of Bolles with the RX insert. I wear paroles and love them. I tried a few other but the rap lens made contact with the rx frame and caused problems so becareful.
Old 04-06-06, 11:37 PM
2wheeled
Cheers!

Bikes: Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why don't you give these guys a try. I bought a pair last spring, the tasman. They are simply awsome with - 5. in them.

Their service is great. I called them at 7.00 p.m expecting voice mail but someone picked up the phone and spoke to me for 20 mins about all the options I had.
https://www.opticus.com/climbingframes.htm#p_julbo
Old 04-07-06, 07:08 AM
pharmboyrx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your help everyone. It gave me a few more options. I might get a pair of fitover sunglasses for now and budget in a pair of sunglasses into my student loans next year. Here in FL I really need them even for driving. It's so sunny! I give myself headaches squinting all the time. When I live in NJ there was a lot of tree cover when I went cross country running, trail biking, or played paintball so I never really needed a pair.

I want to get LASIK when I graduate in a couple of years. I'll be 25 then so hopefully someone will do it. By then I'll definitely be able to afford contacts anyway and hopefully they will have something that fits me.
Old 04-07-06, 08:36 AM
roadie gal
Out the door

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll add another brand to the mix: Zeal. I have a pair of Zektors with Rx lenses in them that I really like, and the price wasn't outrageous.
Old 04-07-06, 07:31 PM
DSchlichting

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had this problem since I started biking seriously over 30 years ago. Since forever, I've used Ray Ban style glasses from my local optical place. Each side of the frames I have today are more or less 60mm wide and 51mm high. I find they are quite adequate for keeping wind out of my eyes with no problem of light ir other stuff entering from the side. When these new glasses with inserts came out, I looked at them, but never liked the idea of looking through 2 layers of lenses.
So I might suggest that before you get all carried away with these high end things, you go back to basics, even though you may look a bit like an old fogey.
Old 04-07-06, 10:14 PM
Thomasd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a pair of adidas (evil eye???) sunglasses with a prescription insert and i love them. the insert is rock solid, doesn't move around or tap the lenses, and with dark lenses you can't really even see that an insert is there (i.e., they don't look dorky). the inserts can be made in any prescription you can make regular glasses for. the glasses are made for cycling so they have cool things like vents in the bottom and top. add them to your list of designs to check out!
tom in osaka
Old 04-08-06, 09:48 PM
MSC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Bolles. Four different lens colors, comfortable and durable frames, insert that won't drive you crazy, and not too expensive.
Old 04-09-06, 03:21 PM
pharmboyrx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far Zeal seems like the best option for me. I emailed them my Rx asking them if they could do it and to recommend a frame for me. They should get back to me this week hopefully.

I'm just worried about what my eyeglasses guy said. He said he couldn't make sunglasses in my Rx without me looking like I was in a fishbowl.

I'm wondering if all these companies saying they can do the Rxs others won't do can really do it. Or if it comes out looking the same as if my optometrist did it and the glasses don't give me proper vision.

Guess the only was to find out is to try.

For now I'm using something like this,

It's definitely not the most stylish, but for 15 bucks at Wally world, who cares. I came to grips with the fact that I wear glasses and sometimes that means looking like a dork about 15 years ago.
Old 05-25-06, 04:39 PM
will caulfield
Faster, must go faster!!!

Bikes: Trek 1200(training), Barracuda Azzuri (commuting), Raleigh MAX (first bike, ridden to destruction)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try https://www.sportrx.com.They carry a wide range of brands so you should be able to find something. I just bought a pair of Panoptx from them. Good price, well put together and the lenses are superb.
Old 05-25-06, 05:08 PM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out www.heavyglare.com

They claim to be able to make sunglasses with high Rx. I just got some from them and am very happy. My eyes aren't as bad as yours though
Old 05-25-06, 06:20 PM
tanguy frame

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found an awesome pair of Nikes with a perscription lense. They are a wrap style, with not too much curvature. They keep the wind out and the eyes don't tear on big downhills. I like them so much I got an extra pair of lenses for when the sun isn't shining too brightly they switch from dark to light by magic, so I can watch movies with them too. in summer I put the dark lenses in. The frame was $200, came with dark non-perscripti lenses which I don;t use.
Old 05-25-06, 07:10 PM
iansir

Bikes: Giant TCR2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on heavyglare.com. I just got my Nike Skylon's from them for about $200 shipped with lenses. They charge more for bad prescriptions, but they at least seem to be able to do them. Mine isn't too bad (-4) but they turned out awesome, I am very happy with the investment.
Old 05-26-06, 08:36 AM
digitoast

Bikes: 1999 Haro Escape A7.3, 2005 Giant OCR1 (SOLD), 2006 Cervélo Soloist Team, 2007 Salsa ElGoGo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Rudy Projects! My eyes are physically imcompatible with contacts, so I use the Exception. You can fit very high prescriptions into Rudy inserts. I have a -8.25 and -8.50 on my eyes, and am using the Exception with the low prescription insert. The Exception set me back $250 including high index lenses, but they are more than worth the price. They can be fitted/adjusted like normal glasses frames, and the insert doesn't seem like it's there at all.
Old 05-26-06, 11:50 AM
MerckxMad
10 Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by will caulfield
Try https://www.sportrx.com.They carry a wide range of brands so you should be able to find something. I just bought a pair of Panoptx from them. Good price, well put together and the lenses are superb.
+1 I just bought a pair of Uvex sunglasses with direct rx in-lens from sportsrx.com. Polycarbonate Grey 3 in -7. Great fit with no distortion. Paid $129 and had 'em in just over a week. They are fairly flat with little wrap and fit my small face without looking gigantic. They will try to convince you to use inserts, but if you're willing to risk a $30 restocking fit if they don't work out, insist on the direct in-lens option.