Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 02-27-11, 08:42 AM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Does anyone know if the numbers stamped on a dynohub are a year indication? I've got a Rudge with a 12 60 stamped on the front hub, 61 stamped on the rear sturmey hub, and b 60 stamped under the Brooks saddle. I can only imagine this means I have an early '60s Rudge?
Also do the serial numbers have any rhyme or reason?
Old 02-27-11, 09:14 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 4funbikes
Does anyone know if the numbers stamped on a dynohub are a year indication? I've got a Rudge with a 12 60 stamped on the front hub, 61 stamped on the rear sturmey hub, and b 60 stamped under the Brooks saddle. I can only imagine this means I have an early '60s Rudge?
Also do the serial numbers have any rhyme or reason?
Sounds like you have a 1961 model. Yes the 12 60 is the date, it means that hub was made in December 1960. As far as I know no one has a Rudge serial number database. Pictures would be nice

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-27-11, 09:24 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
2030 isn't heavier by nature. Chrome-moly is stronger and therefore, they can make it thinner. That is what makes it lighter, i.e. they can use less of it to achieve the same strength.
Right. In fact they can use quite a bit less and still make it a whole lot stronger. I've straightened bent hi-ten steel frames more than once, and it's pretty easy. I tried to straighten a bent 531 by the same method, and it just laughed at me.
Old 02-27-11, 10:47 AM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Sounds like you have a 1961 model. Yes the 12 60 is the date, it means that hub was made in December 1960. As far as I know no one has a Rudge serial number database. Pictures would be nice

Aaron
Hopefully I will have pics up later today. I just took it apart last week, and plan to have it built back up today.
Old 02-27-11, 06:54 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here is a great notstalgic 1950s dutch video with ton of Dutch 3 speeds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HgLqts3qJs&NR=1
Old 02-28-11, 09:00 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
With strength steel you sacrifice ductility. Does any one know the yield of Hi-ten, Chromoly, and 531. Here is some stuff posted frome here https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...eeds.../page56

-------------------------------------------------
Steel Alloys

Steel is a combination (an alloy) of iron and other elements designed to improve upon the material properties of pure iron. The alloying elements make up a small fraction of the material by weight (iron is 97% or more of most steel alloys) and don't significantly alter the density (weight) and stiffness of the material, but they can have a significant impact on the strength, weldablity, corrosion resistance and expense of the material.
While there are dozens of steel alloys, only a few are commonly used in bike construction and only two--high tensile and chromoly steel--are used in most mass produced bicycles today.
High-Tensile (Hi-Ten) Steel

High-tensile or carbon steel is a common and inexpensive alloy comprised of iron mixed with 0.2% to 2.0% carbon. (Of note, when iron is mixed with more than 2.1% carbon it is no longer "steel", it goes by the name "cast iron".)
High-tensile steel is an inexpensive but relatively weak alloy. Although it has essentially the same density as other steels, manufacturers working with hi-ten steel are forced to use thick walled tubes to ensure adequate strength, and rarely use butting. For this reason, high-tensile frames are much heavier than their chromoly counterparts.
Today, high-tensile steel frames are primarily used for children's bikes and are sometimes found on inexpensive adult bikes.

4130 ChroMoly (CRMO) Steel

ChroMoly is a steel alloy composed of iron combined with chromium (roughly 1% by weight), molybdenum (roughly 0.2%), carbon (roughly 0.3%), silicon (roughly 0.2%), manganese (roughly 0.04%) and sulphur (roughly 0.04%). 4130 is actually just one of a family of chromoly alloys, but it is the one used for bicycle frames. ChroMoly steel is also used in the construction of airplanes, and is sometimes known as "aircraft tubing".
Chromium is the component that makes stainless steel rust proof, but the chromium level of chromoly steel is not high enough to provide corrosion resistance. (Stainless steel is 10% to 11% chromium.)
Chromoly is frequently used to build mid-to-high-range steel framed bikes. A well made butted chromoly frame is typically only marginally heavier than an aluminum frame, and quite strong and durable.

Reynolds Steel

In 1953 the Reynolds Cycle Company began manufacturing a steel tube composed of proprietary manganese-molybdenum steel alloy they branded Reynolds 531. This alloy was strong and for its time, relatively light. It was once the preferred tubing for steel racing bikes (as well as British aircraft).
Over the years, Reynolds has introduced a number of branded steel tubes, the brand name indicating both the specific alloy and heat treatment but also the wall thickness and butting of the tubes. These include Reyolds 453 (a single-butted tube made of a manganese-titanium alloy), Reynolds 501, 520, 525 and 725 tubes (using 4130 chromoly steel), Reynolds 753 (high-end tubes made of a manganese-molybdenum alloy, essentially a better Reynolds 531), Reynolds 853 (4130 chromoly made stiffer by air hardening) and Reynolds 953 (a lightweight rust-proof maraging stainless steel introduced in 2006).
Reynolds steel is less common in bike frames today than it once was, but some of these alloys are still in use. The Reynolds 520 family is a well made class of 4130 chromoly tubes. You'll pay a bit more for the brand name, but you'll know you're getting a well manufactured tube. Reynolds 853 is a higher quality chromoly, made stiffer than usual by the way it is manufactured. Reynolds 953 is perhaps the best steel available for bikes today: Reynolds 953 frames are stronger than titanium, no heavier than high end aluminum and rust proof.
Old 03-01-11, 06:12 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 70 Posts
This is getting a little off topic, but while most of the information in the excerpted post above is correct to my knowledge, there are some statements that are incorrect or misleading. I'm neither a metallurgical engineer nor a historian of Reynolds 531, so I hope that the better informed will chime in to confirm or refute my take on the following:
  • (Of note, when iron is mixed with more than 2.1% carbon it is no longer "steel", it goes by the name "cast iron".)
I don't dispute that cast iron contains 2.1% or more carbon, however, it doesn't follow that all such alloys are necessarily "cast iron".
  • In 1953 the Reynolds Cycle Company began manufacturing a steel tube composed of proprietary manganese-molybdenum steel alloy they branded Reynolds 531.
I always thought Reynolds 531 was developed before WWII. Maybe just a typo on the year?

Last edited by old's'cool; 03-02-11 at 06:39 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 03-01-11, 11:35 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Wow... just realized that this thread got started on Feb 22 / 10 and don't think it has skipped a beat... much like those wonderful SA AW hubs we are all so fond of (among others).

For the number crunchers that is an average of 4 posts a day for more than a year running and I have to thank everyone for contributing so much love and checking in so often.

I was able to get out and enjoy a beautiful spring like ride last year but it is looking like we're going to be stuck in this deep freeze for at least a few more weeks... at least my winter bike is equipped with a 3 speed even though it isn't English and it has earned it's stripes this winter.

I did spend the last 6 weeks in Portland and got to enjoy another favourite 3 speed...
Likes For Sixty Fiver:
Old 03-05-11, 11:59 PM
Onegin

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh DL-1, 1979 Raleigh Cameo, 1980's Raleigh Rapide Mixte

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First post on this thread, but I loved reading about all the different bikes here.

Anyway, here's a before and after photo of my '71 Raleigh Tourist. It was a fortuitous Craigslist find last year. The original owner was just a little bit too tall to comfortably ride the bike and this one happens to be a bit unforgiving with adjustments. I was happy to oblige and take it off her hands.

I have a couple of things left to do, namely adding the rear rack and a few other miscellaneous whatisits but it's mostly done. Having spent the better part of winter puttering around indoors, I'm dying for the temperatures to get above zero so I can get out and ride!

Old 03-06-11, 09:06 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 70 Posts
Klasse!
Old 03-06-11, 09:11 AM
LuckyChow99

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beautiful bike. What kind of rack are you going to use?
Old 03-06-11, 03:19 PM
Onegin

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh DL-1, 1979 Raleigh Cameo, 1980's Raleigh Rapide Mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's actually a gentleman in Virginia that makes custom racks specifically to suit the Raleigh roadster:

https://redbarnbike.blogspot.com

For a long time I considered purchasing a commercially available rack (or trying to retrofit an Electra Amsterdam rack) but, in the end, the prices end up about the same and, in my opinion, this one is much more beautiful.
Old 03-08-11, 09:24 PM
hobbes62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful Tourist!, you did a great job on it!
Old 03-08-11, 11:23 PM
x136 
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I finally wrapped something around this:

And here it is, a 1978 Raleigh Super Course:

It's... immensely fun.
Old 03-08-11, 11:42 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

x- classic !
Old 03-09-11, 04:18 AM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbes62
Beautiful Tourist!, you did a great job on it!
+1, beautiful!

From the brakes I would have guessed older than '71.
Old 03-09-11, 04:22 AM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by x136
I finally wrapped something around this:

And here it is, a 1978 Raleigh Super Course:

It's... immensely fun.
Very nice! Beautiful bike, fun conversion and the twine on the cable housing is a nice touch.
Old 03-09-11, 04:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Well done. What kind of front hub is that?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-09-11, 07:59 PM
x136 
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sekaijin
Very nice! Beautiful bike, fun conversion and the twine on the cable housing is a nice touch.
Thanks. I bought the twine, then ended up wrapping the bars in such a way that none was required, so I had to use some somewhere.

Well done. What kind of front hub is that?
It's the cheapie Novatech dynamo hub VO has on sale. Nothing hooked up to it yet. I still have to figure that stuff out.
Old 03-09-11, 08:05 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Well, I've been riding three speeds a bit lately, after a long time of not riding them. My main bikes are not in running order, so it was time to get at least something working. I was very pleased to acquire a Rudge last year but hadn't done anything with it. It's running great now except for the need for a pedal, which is on its way. It's lovely. I always wanted a Rudge even more than a Raleigh.

The Kool Stop brake pads don't fit on the left side of the front brake, because the caliper is so close to the fork blade. I'll have to get the short kind there. So I have three Kool Stops and one generic pad. The brakes work very well, at least in the dry.

And today I fixed my Raleigh Twenty so that I could take a bike on the train. I don't know which kind of headset it has. I know some (or all?) of them came with a plastic sleeve bearing, but this looks like it might be a traditional ball bearing. I stupidly left the bike outside all winter, and now it's worse than ever. The bike rides almost as if it has a flat front tire. I'll take a look and see. And the brakes suck, big time. I'll get some Kool Stop brake pads and see if they help.

I rode to the train station, carried the bike on the train, and rode in Manhattan. As you can imagine, riding in Manhattan is grueling and very dog-eat-dog. It's a bit harrowing with a sluggish bike, a stiff headset, and gawdawful brakes. But I survived. It was fun anyway.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-09-11, 08:54 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
On my R20 I had to go a front V-brake to get good stopping ability. Even with Kool Stops the original brakes are just too long. I also went to AL rims and Schwalbe Marathon tires. The original rims were pitted and the tires were shot.

If I were to going to replace the tires again I would not go with the Marathons.
Old 03-10-11, 05:15 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
On my R20 I had to go a front V-brake to get good stopping ability. Even with Kool Stops the original brakes are just too long. I also went to AL rims and Schwalbe Marathon tires. The original rims were pitted and the tires were shot.

If I were to going to replace the tires again I would not go with the Marathons.
I use Marathons 1.75" on mine, when they wear out I am going with Marathon Supremes in the 1.5", should be a better fit and ride.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-10-11, 09:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

How did you put a v-brake on?

Old 03-10-11, 10:11 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

How did you put a v-brake on?
There are a few ways to do this... you can change the fork to one that has the right bosses or modify the existing fork by adding them.

My P20 got cantis to allow for fender clearance and compatibility with road levers... an upgrade like his might run you $80.00 to have the bosses added front and rear.

Built this up for a friend... used linear pull levers to handle the v brake up front and added a drop bolt for the rear caliper although we will probably add some new bosses in the rear for another v brake.

The stopping power is awe inspiring and the suspension fork really makes bad roads a non issue... and it is still an English three speed (with a lot of mods).

Old 03-11-11, 08:43 AM
ahson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will any of you have a spare Raleigh crank 46t in clean working condition? I need it to complete my Superbe restore project.

That's the type of crankset I am looking for, 46t.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.