Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

165mm vs 170mm cranks for Randonnuering

Old 12-16-21, 09:50 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Several years ago I saw these when I was doing a search on their site for something ...
Wow. Nice. They look way less obtrusive than what usually passes for crank shorteners. Lighter too. And our cranks are square taper. Can it get any better? Thanks!
Old 12-17-21, 07:37 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Wow. Nice. They look way less obtrusive than what usually passes for crank shorteners. Lighter too. And our cranks are square taper. Can it get any better? Thanks!
I would still e-mail them first, you want to be 100 percent sure it will work with the high cost of shipping and shipping cost would be really high if you had to send it back to the UK.

The company has closed their showroom during Covid, they are operating with only some staff, I have no clue how fast they ship things because of that. Pre-Covid, I bought a bike frame, and lots of other stuff from them in about a half dozen orders. I have two Thorns, that is their bike brand.

They have a lot of unusual stuff too, check out their website.
Old 12-17-21, 01:55 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I
I have five single bikes, four tandems and two recumbents. There is every length of crank on them from 165 through 175 and I couldn't tell you what has what. It is simply a non-issue, that small a change. Well, if it isn't costing anything, why not. But to remove a perfectly fine set of 170mm cranks. Pay ... what, $100? $150? More? You'd better, if you want something decent. Or find them used. Now, can you make the swap yourself or do you have to $$$ to have it done by the LBS? For 5mm? I don't think so. That is all I'm saying and all I ever will say about it. A 3% change just isn't worth three figures to try out.

We have a double recumbent tandem built for Dutch people. At 5'10" I can 'just' reach the pedals with the 170's that are in the Captains spot. At 5'6" my wife can 'just' reach her pedals. There isn't any way to fix that. Theoretically my wife should be alright but she would like some shorter cranks. The rule is "the Stoker is always right" so I am duty bound to make it right for her. I'm pretty sure her cranks are 170's just like mine. Taking my own medicine, I am not going to swap a full out tandem crankset. I will find some crank shorteners. Happiness begins at 155mm. Go big, or go home. YMMV.
Those crank shorteners seem pretty sweet.

As I pointed out earlier, if you don't ride a good long distance you may never sort out the impact of crank length. But if you think about it, we have different stems, handlebar widths, frame sizes and adjustable seatposts, yet somehow one crank size fits all?? It may well, if you only do short rides, and I can't say if a randonneur is long enough to injure your knees. But I do know that if the bike is heavier, if the climbs are more pronounced, such as you see on the Tour Divide, that cranks length makes a difference- I've seen a lot of people blow their knees out and have to quit on that account.

I get the part about swapping cranks. Its not cheap if you want to do it right! The way I see it, my knees aren't cheap either- in that regard its just like riding with a MIPS helmet.
Likes For Salubrious:
Old 12-17-21, 03:19 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
One downside to these crank shorteners is that they will increase the Q factor a fair amount. Some cyclists (including a few high-mileage female cyclists I know) are pretty sensitive to a wide Q. I wonder if there is a design that puts the new crank mounts to the side of the crank arm to preserve a narrow Q. (Or maybe those who are sensitive enough to it just suck it up and buy short cranks.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott: