Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone using Velocity Atlas rims on your tandem?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-22, 08:24 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts

I've been building our tandem wheels on Velocity Dyads and have been generally happy. I build them for fully-loaded touring, 40-hole with Sapim Strong spokes. We wear 700x35C Schwalbe Marathon Supremes on front, although I'm considering getting a new fork that would allow a 38 or even 40.
Our front wheel rim brake surface is getting a little concave, and it's getting that thump-thump-thump sound that suggests it's time for a new rim.
So:
Another Dyad?
Or maybe an Atlas, which is beefier and wider, and perhaps better for fully-loaded touring?
Anyone using the Atlas?
Old 02-18-22, 11:44 AM
bobh123

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We now have Atlas rims, 40 holes, with Sapim Strong spokes. We wanted to go from 700c to 650b to get a bigger tire and a slightly stronger wheel. Compared to Dyad, the Atlas rim is stronger (I think) and has a wider internal width so is better suited for wider tires. With the Dyads we ran 700cx35. With the Atlas we run 650bx42. No change in the fork or other hardware. We have disc brakes, so no problem changing wheel size. I take it you have rim brakes, so changing wheel size is a bigger issue. Changing from 700c to 650b is a noticeable change. I wrote about the conversion a couple of months ago in this forum, so it should be in the archives. Our plan is to use the wheels for loaded tandem touring, so this seems about as strong a wheel as we could get in 650b and a suitable width. Velocity (and Jill at Velocity) were great to work with to get the wheels.
Old 02-18-22, 02:45 PM
sdodd

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Sorry, no Atlas experience. I've been using Dyads (or Aeroheat their predecessor) for a number of years without issue. (I have also used the A23 on road wheels and tandem wheels and like them as well) I just built a new set of wheels for the tandem and went with dyads again. But, I run Panaracer Ribmo 1.25 tires so I don't have a big need for a wider internal rim. And, I also run 26" wheels (because we are short for standover) so the rim selection is much smaller. Most of my 26" tandem wheels are 36 hole without a problem, but I don't do anything loaded. And, the 26" is more forgiving than the bigger diameter 700c.

The Tire chart shows that the Dyad is a 19mm internal width, good for 25-38mm wide tires. The Atlas is a 20mm internal width good for 28-45mm wide tires. (internal width was not as big of a difference as I would have guessed) So if you want some room to go up in tire width, go with the bigger internal diameter atlas.

Bonus content - if you want a very (very) informal velocity rim factor tour, you can watch Joe from Cobra frames here:

simon

Old 02-18-22, 08:58 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
We've been running Atlas rims on our RANS recumbent tandem for several years. The original wheels were Bontrager rims on Velocity hubs - the front rim cracked after about 4 years of use. We had Velocity rebuild the wheel with an Atlas rim. (20"/406) in 2014. The rear rim didn't fail but we again had Velocity rebuild it so that it would have our full confidence. This was a 26"/559 wheel in about 2015. No problems since then. Running first Marathon Supremes 1.6" and for the last few years Marathon Racers 1.5". (Supremes no longer made in 406 size.)
Old 01-25-23, 10:35 PM
RoulezTandem

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
We have Velocity 26" noBS rims and Schwalbe Marathon 2" knobby tyres on our foot-forward, mid-drive assist custom steel framed tandem used on rail trails and gravel. No issues.

Last edited by RoulezTandem; 02-24-23 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-26-23, 01:14 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
Atlas is definitely beefier than Dyad. Eyeleted rims of thicker overall extrusion & flatter spoke bed to discourage spoke-to-spoke cracking.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 01-28-23, 08:09 AM
Thebucket71

Bikes: CoMotion tandem, All City fixie, Cannondale road bike, fold-up bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I just purchased a new wheel set with Atlas rims, can't wait for riding season here in the Northeast. After trying numerous tire sizes last summer my stoker and I have agreed that 700 X 38 is the best size tire for the type of riding that we do. We found it's a good mix for comfort and speed on road and gravel. Before I purchased a new wheel set (Christmas present to myself) I contacted Peter at CoMotion, the first thing he asked me was what tire size I was running. When I told him the bike would be loaded up for overnight trips he said go with the Atlas. I hit a pothole last summer and cracked in Astral Outback rim and replaced it with a beefier Dyad. So, after two flats (both times glass) and a cracked rim last summer on Panaracer gravel kings I decided to get a second wheel set. For my road riding I will be using the Dyad wheels with Schwabel Marathon Plus tires and for the weighed down overnight trips on gravel I will be using the Atlas wheelset with the Panaracer tires. At first I didn't like the fact Atlas rims only came in polished or anodized but I went with black nipples and they really look nice. I will post pictures when they are on the bike.
Old 02-11-23, 07:35 AM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
I rebuilt about 5 years ago with the redesigned Velocity Cliffhangers. I think these are tougher (and heavier) than their Atlas rims. These were, I think, the first two produced. There was a delay, they were having trouble rolling the 406 rim. My contact said that was probably the strongest rim they had ever produced.

I had trouble fitting a front tire. With cloth rim tape, the center well was not deep enough to let me mount a tire. Velocity sent me some very thin tubeless rim tape, and with a bit of swearing and lubrication, I got the tire on.

That said, I do like the rims. Durability goes far with me.
Old 02-11-23, 04:41 PM
Thebucket71

Bikes: CoMotion tandem, All City fixie, Cannondale road bike, fold-up bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have cliffhangers on my mountain bike The difference between the two is the Atlas are designed for a narrower tire. The optimal tire size for cliff hangers are 45mm to 65 mm
Old 02-11-23, 05:05 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Thebucket71
I have cliffhangers on my mountain bike The difference between the two is the Atlas are designed for a narrower tire. The optimal tire size for cliff hangers are 45mm to 65 mm
And Cliffhangers are tubeless-ready. Atlases aren’t.
Old 02-11-23, 05:55 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Thebucket71
Ya we are running 38s on the cliff hangers. not sure if the wheel builder thought it was ok as he saw our tires. it does seem to work though it does make the tire a little wider.