Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Specific wheelset advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-22, 06:46 PM
hstdist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specific wheelset advice

I am planning to start touring this year, nothing fancy, big ride will be 800 km round trip. I want to replace the stock wheels on my new cannondale topstone 3 . I want velocity wheels as I have them on my hybrid bike and they have been trouble free.
I am lost as far as hubs and spoke types .
id like 36/36 spoke set up even 36/40. This will handle my weight plus cargo. I think a 37mm tire is what I will use.Also, I would like to purchase a rear cog so the OEM wheels can be simply switched over if I want, so a suggestion would be welcome
Thanks in advance
the specs on the set that came stock is

WHEELS

• Front Hub
    Formula alloy, 12x100mm
  • Rear Hub
    Formula alloy, 12x142mm
  • Rims
    RD 2.0, 28h
  • Spokes
    Stainless Steel, 14g
  • Tire Size
  • Tires
    WTB Riddler Comp, 700 x 37c
  • Wheel Size
    700c

DRIVETRAIN

• Bottom Bracket
    Cartridge, square taper
  • Chain
    KMC Z9, 9-speed
  • Crank
    FSA Tempo Adventure, 46/30
  • Front Derailleur
    Shimano Sora GS
  • Rear Cogs
    Sunrace, 11-34, 9-speed
  • Rear Derailleur
    Shimano Sora GS
  • Shifters
    Shimano Sora, 9-speed
Old 02-08-22, 08:25 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Shimano 105's have the ability to go up to 36 spoke and with the thu axle that your bike has and is not too expensive. There are several other hubs that are more expensive.

Pro Wheelbuilder is a great resource on matching hubs and wheels. Example:

https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/shim...-rear-hub.html

If you have a higher budget for wheels, these hubs are very nice and are supposed to be amongst the best in the industry:

https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/whit...-disc-hub.html

I had ProWheelbuilder build several sets of wheels for me. One was using the Velocity Aileron rims with the Shimano Deore hubs that sent to them. The rear hub is 36 spoke, but quick release and the wheelset was for my hybrid.

Last edited by travbikeman; 02-08-22 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-08-22, 08:55 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
For my gravel/touring/adventure bike I built up Velocity Dyads with XT hubs, 32/32 with regular double butted spokes in the front and Wheelsmith HD spokes in the rear which are single butted 2.2/2.0 spokes.

My wife's cross bike came with those exact wheels, I took apart the wheels to repurpose the rims for a cheap but sturdy track bike wheelset. Weight wise the rims were each .5lbs heavier than the velocity Ailerons that were replacing them. The Formula hubs were absurdly heavy compared to the White Industry Hubs that replaced them, for her bike I went 2.0/1.7/2.0 butted spokes which overall shaved close to 2lbs from the bike.

If you want lighter and faster, get a pair of ultegras and build it up with Ailerons and butted spokes. If you want not quite as light but still lighter, faster, sturdier and potentially a little more comfortable over longer rides, get Dyads with XT hubs (test if your fork will accept a 15mm thru axle first) butted spokes front and single butted rear with heavier duty spokes. The dyad is the less rigid of the two and will make for a more comfortable overall build for touring over rougher terrain but has the downside of not being tubeless compatible if that matters to you.
Old 02-09-22, 08:03 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
I wouldn’t be too hung up on Velocity— lots of places make great wheels— and would seriously consider running a 650b carbon fiber rim for loaded touring. Having disc braked wheels is a game-changer for touring wheels. Carbon fiber is much stronger and damage resistant than aluminum (even when significantly lighter), and the smaller 650b wheel diameter will boost wheel lateral stiffness, especially if you go with a deep section carbon fiber rim. Of course, 650b will also let you run wider rubber, which will help reduce rolling resistance and increase traction, comfort and stability across a wider range of surface conditions than a narrower 700c.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-27-22, 10:37 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
I believe all your wheel build ideas are solid. Good hubs, 36 spokes, and Velocity rims. I use Velo Orange high flange 36 hole 11 speed rear cassette hubsets. 2mm stainless steel straight guage spokes at 3 cross build. I'm real partial to their Chukkar rims and I use up to 40mm tires on these rims. Bullet proof for years and years at my weight of 270 lbs. I feel my builds err on the side of overbuilt but for touring as you want to do these slightly heavier more durable wheels would be just the ticket. Good luck with your wheel set build.
Old 02-28-22, 06:42 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
If I get serious about touring, I will be thinking about getting a Dyno hub in the front to charge electronics and lights.
Old 02-28-22, 07:41 AM
Grudey1
Suburban Dad

Bikes: 2019 Trek Domane SL5 Disc, 2021 Giant Talon 2, 2012 Trek 7.1 FX, 2005 Trek Fuel 70, 2003 Trek 4500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
I bought my wheels from Prowheelbuilder in June of 2020 and love them. Still straight and true today, even when riding at my heaviest at 290 lbs.

Likes For Grudey1: