Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Disappointed in Trek

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Disappointed in Trek

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-22, 02:46 PM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Disappointed in Trek

I was looking at treks website yesterday and I really loved the flat bar road bikes , fx sport bikes, which have a road bike drive train and isospeed , well apparently they decided to do away with those and new fx sport have a 1x , gravel tires, and no isospeed.

I hope trek will release sport variants :/ the previous one show as archived as in no longer in production
Old 04-08-22, 03:00 PM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,303 Times in 432 Posts
You can still get the 2021 FX Sport 4 - my LBS just had several arrive in early March, and I bought one about 3 weeks ago. That is also a 1x, but I'm really happy with it. It is also still shown on the Trek website.

The LBS must have known that the FX Sport 5 and Sport 6 were changing - they told me some months ago that they had no idea if they would ever see those models, but they knew the FX Sport 4 was coming.

The geometry has also changed for 2022. The standover height of the large is 81.2 cm, which wouldn't work for me. The bike I bought is 78.1.

Mark
Old 04-08-22, 06:07 PM
Awesomeguy

Originally Posted by msalvetti
You can still get the 2021 FX Sport 4 - my LBS just had several arrive in early March, and I bought one about 3 weeks ago. That is also a 1x, but I'm really happy with it. It is also still shown on the Trek website.

The LBS must have known that the FX Sport 5 and Sport 6 were changing - they told me some months ago that they had no idea if they would ever see those models, but they knew the FX Sport 4 was coming.

The geometry has also changed for 2022. The standover height of the large is 81.2 cm, which wouldn't work for me. The bike I bought is 78.1.

Mark
how does the fx sport 4 feel in body position compare to a road bike ? When I sat on the new fx sport they felt even more upright than fx3 that I own
Old 04-08-22, 07:07 PM
msalvetti

Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
how does the fx sport 4 feel in body position compare to a road bike ? When I sat on the new fx sport they felt even more upright than fx3 that I own
I don't really know. Haven't ridden a road bike before, just hybrids. It seems less upright than my old Mongoose, but that was a smaller frame so less reach. I think the Mongoose was probably always a bit too small for me.

Comparing the numbers, the new FX bikes have about 1 cm less reach than the old ones, at least in size Large.

Mark
Old 04-09-22, 07:51 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
You might want to look at Giant's offerings. My wife and I have a couple of their FastRoads models that fit the bill. Also have a couple of Canyon Roadlites, Which we love. The model we have is a Roadlite 9 ltd that is no longer imported has a 1 X drivetrain. But, there less expensive Roadlite models are 2 X models. The Canyons are indeed flat bar road bikes and very aggressive. We just purchased two LiteSpeed Cherohala City's that we haven't yet got but have them custom built to similar specs as our Roadlites. These aren't carbon fiber but still very light and agile.
Old 04-09-22, 09:10 AM
msalvetti

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
We just purchased two LiteSpeed Cherohala City's that we haven't yet got but have them custom built to similar specs as our Roadlites. These aren't carbon fiber but still very light and agile.
Wow, those are gorgeous. I think titanium is far sexier than carbon fiber. And made in USA too.

Mark
Old 04-09-22, 09:31 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Yes I think so as well. We were able to get custom configured with HED Emporia GA Performance (700c for me 650b for the wife), upgrade to GRX 810 1x Derailleur and 11-42 cassette. So they should be similar to the Roadlites. The current wait time is 4 -6 weeks and we are 2 weeks in. The fun thing is we purchased titanium mountain bikes for our 30 anniversary (still use them) and now these will be for our 50th. Yes, we are that old.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 04-14-22, 05:52 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
My wife has the FX Sport 4 and it is a very nice riding bike and honestly in my personal, 1 person opinion, your opinion may vary; I don't think the missing IsoSpeed on the new models will be that big of a deal as the new models will allow for wider tires, so you can run at a lower pressure providing for a much more comfortable ride, and if you run tubeless, even lower pressures, so you can get the same benefits. You can also put on a carbon seat post and bars and really smooth it out a bit more. I do not think most people are riding long distances on this type of bike like they would on a Domane, for example, so the IsoSpeed is probably over kill for most people.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 04-14-22 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-15-22, 06:42 AM
Awesomeguy

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
My wife has the FX Sport 4 and it is a very nice riding bike and honestly in my personal, 1 person opinion, your opinion may vary; I don't think the missing IsoSpeed on the new models will be that big of a deal as the new models will allow for wider tires, so you can run at a lower pressure providing for a much more comfortable ride, and if you run tubeless, even lower pressures, so you can get the same benefits. You can also put on a carbon seat post and bars and really smooth it out a bit more. I do not think most people are riding long distances on this type of bike like they would on a Domane, for example, so the IsoSpeed is probably over kill for most people.
I like isospeed set up, Bc I like fast road bikes with flat handlebars and the isospeed is a huge benefit form what I understand , I would have considered the fx sport if they didn’t rid of it , as an upgrade from my fx3
Old 04-15-22, 04:52 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
I like isospeed set up, Bc I like fast road bikes with flat handlebars and the isospeed is a huge benefit form what I understand , I would have considered the fx sport if they didn’t rid of it , as an upgrade from my fx3
On an allow frame, I would agree with the IsoSpeed might be a benefit, however, if you're looking at one of the carbon versions, it would be far less noticeable as the frame will absorb much more of the rough surface buzz. I really do not notice it being there on her bike. Since these models are 1x and you would also need to replace the cassette at a minimum, to get some faster gearing if you are look for a fast road bike. I put a 14-28 on my wife's bike as we live in a very flat area, so the 11-42 is pointless. I think if you have the ability to take a test ride on one just to either confirm your thoughts or change it, would be worth it.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 04-21-22 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-17-22, 05:15 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
I don’t notice much difference between my 2020 Domane with IsoSpeed and my Sirrus 4.0 as far as impact on my hands is concerned.