Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

GT mountain bike 1990’s

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-22, 09:13 PM
Fixiebro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
GT mountain bike 1990’s

Hello friends,
I did some research and I hope this a 1994 zaskar. The previous owner wanted to fixed it but lost interest. The manitou forks are very unique as well. I hope anyone knows more. Thanks

Last edited by Fixiebro; 05-13-22 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-13-22, 08:58 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Thats a conundrum

If any of the components are original - and that is hard to say as the bike has been monkeyed with a lot --- then it looks more like a Timberline -- as i wouldnt have thought a Zaskar would feature STX, plus the rims arent very sporty

GT made several AL frame bikes including a Pantera and Avalanche --- all of which look very similar. Even the Zaskar had those rack mounts on the rear dropouts on the consumer grade bikes. The previous owner stripped the paint obviously and did not know much about proper headset re-asembly

Id say at this juncture -- whether its a Zaskar or a Timberline is academic at best and its good that you rescued it --- a few hours with some mag wheel polish and a polishing wheel chucked up into a drill motor would work wonders. Dont know how much if any of the rest of it is worth salvaging for a new build --- maybe the hubs could be recycled and there may be new elastomers available for that fork
Likes For DMC707:
Old 05-13-22, 02:39 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts
I was this close to saying that it could be a Backwoods or a Ricochet or something, but then I looked closer at the stampings on the frame. If the first 4 digits of the serial number are month and year, 1294, then this was made in December of late 1994 for the subsequent model year: 1995. This style of replaceable derailleur hanger with the squared off end with two bolts is consistent with that. The second important clue is the frame material stamped on the inside of the rear dropout: 6061. All the lower GTs from that year including the Avalanche were made from 7005 aluminum, leaving this to be a Zaskar. Guessing the 18 near the serial number is just the frame size in inches.

The fact that it was stripped of its decals and built with parts bin stuff is a little suspicious. And that seatpost clamp doesn't look right. Good luck with polishing it, and continue to do research. Sadly the catalog for 1995 is incomplete on Retrobike, so I looked at 95 specs on bikepedia.
Likes For Clang:
Old 05-14-22, 12:21 AM
Fixiebro

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you

Originally Posted by Clang
I was this close to saying that it could be a Backwoods or a Ricochet or something, but then I looked closer at the stampings on the frame. If the first 4 digits of the serial number are month and year, 1294, then this was made in December of late 1994 for the subsequent model year: 1995. This style of replaceable derailleur hanger with the squared off end with two bolts is consistent with that. The second important clue is the frame material stamped on the inside of the rear dropout: 6061. All the lower GTs from that year including the Avalanche were made from 7005 aluminum, leaving this to be a Zaskar. Guessing the 18 near the serial number is just the frame size in inches.

The fact that it was stripped of its decals and built with parts bin stuff is a little suspicious. And that seatpost clamp doesn't look right. Good luck with polishing it, and continue to do research. Sadly the catalog for 1995 is incomplete on Retrobike, so I looked at 95 specs on bikepedia.
I appreciate your insight and I haven’t had any luck selling it so I have to polish it real good to make it stand out. Thanks
Old 05-14-22, 04:11 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts
Even if it is a Zaskar (and I do think it is), I don't think you'll get Zaskar money from this. This is a diamond in the rough style project for someone who wants a rider and is willing to fork out for decals and maybe has a whole donor bike for the components. Those kind of bikes will only sell if they're cheap.

As is: to buyers it is a mystery GT frame with a very strange mix of parts and crappy tires on it and it's not in rideable condition. Buyers SHOULD be skeptical when they're told a mystery frame is really a best-case scenario in disguise. And please, if you're trying to flip these things, YOU have to be able to do the research or you're going to make bad buys and end up with stuff you can't liquidate. Not everything on CL is a Marin Team for $100. I'm glad you're saying you'll polish the bike, but you should have at least started with WASHING IT. This thing is dusty, and to buyers it looks TIRED. Wash it, then polish it, then take better photos on a sunnier day. Presentation matters when you're trying to sell something. Buyers can tell when someone's putting in the minimum effort. It does not make them want to open their wallet.
Likes For Clang:
Old 05-14-22, 06:36 PM
Paul Waque 

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Clang
Even if it is a Zaskar (and I do think it is), I don't think you'll get Zaskar money from this.
So what does a fairly clean rider go for?
Old 05-15-22, 09:06 PM
Fixiebro

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not sure

Originally Posted by Paul Waque
So what does a fairly clean rider go for?
I saw that the frame alone goes for $500 on eBay.
Old 05-15-22, 09:08 PM
Fixiebro

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Stuck seat post!

I started working on the bike and clean it up but the seat post is stuck. The frame is aluminum so I don't want to dent it or damage. What can I do to remove it? Any help would be great.
Old 05-16-22, 07:45 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I would say basic rider nicely cleaned set up with current component's with a bit of polish $200-250 is about the most your get. On a bike like this buyers wan't good original finish and mostly original finish. Look at some of the sold prices there are a couple of similar condition frames that sold for $100 or less and much nicer whole bikes for $400-500 yes there are couple near perfect full Team editions that have sold for close to $1500 but this is no wear near those bikes. The nakid no paint polish bare metal basic component treatment was pretty common in the late 90's early 2000's on similar bikes. Worked on one for a local thrift store recently actually a slightly nicer bike 1995 DBR Vertex got it fixed up for $30 or so in used parts and there is no interest in it at the $200-250 low price range.

As is without spending a bunch it's just another somewhat nicer 6061 alloy hard frame with OK components, fork and lesser tires wheels I have picked a lot of similar bike for $100 or less
For reference got one of my regular riders out of a dumpster and rebuilt it with salvage parts for well under $100 a 1997 Schwinn Mesa GSX with some upgrades.

Last edited by zukahn1; 05-16-22 at 08:31 PM.
Likes For zukahn1: