Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Old 11-22-21, 11:51 AM
Cyclo_Tron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, if I do one in anything besides PETG or PLA, I'm gonna let ShapeWays do it for me.

I figured the plastic was strong enough or it wasn't and the easy way to know was to just try it. In the end, I'd say they're excellent emergency spares and somewhat substandard permanent replacements.

Or good band-aids for people who don't know the difference between how derailleurs mount.
Old 11-28-21, 07:27 PM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Cyber Monday

Shapeways is doing a sale for Cyber Monday. Works on anyone's stuff, not just the stuff I design.
Old 11-29-21, 11:11 PM
WheresWaldo

Shapeways has extended Cyber Monday to Cyber Tuesday also
Old 12-03-21, 08:50 AM
jdoff

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I'd follow up after having a couple of weeks with my new light mount.

The first observation is that the Cygolite side is too high, should have been offset 23 mm or more. As it is it's too high to put a flat load on the top of the rack.

Second observation is that the Cycliq mount is loose. My light mounts tightly in a Cycliq mount, but in the 3d printed one it has room to rotate (on the axis it's twisted in) as well as wiggle vertically and horizontally. I do have some thoughts on what's going on here.

Third observation is that having mounting holes that use standard socket head cap screws is awesome. I've used all sorts of mounts and nothing beats being able to tighten them with a normal hex key. For example, the Cygolite mount uses hex head bolts in hex-shaped recesses so you have to awkwardly deal with tightening a nut on the back. The Cycliq mount uses flat head machine screws that are an odd size and end up rusting.

So some good and some not so good, but fun to try regardless.
Old 12-07-21, 12:10 PM
WheresWaldo

jdoff Thanks for the feedback. Guess we should have rechecked the Cygolyte dimensions before finalizing, this is always an issue when we arre working through email and I don't have a device in front of me to visualize the end result.

Thanks for the feedback on the Cycliq mount, I will work on revising my mount to make it a tighter fit.
Old 12-07-21, 12:16 PM
WheresWaldo

Interesting bit of info sent to one of my Pinarello mount users. Apparently every bike except for the Dogma F (no number) uses the same seat post profile. That means the F8-F12 mount also fits the Gan, Grevil, K series, Prince bicycles too.
Old 12-08-21, 10:35 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Question for those that can assist.

I would like to have some stuff 3d printed, but I'd prefer to send a file to the other party that does the printing, however, I don't have a means to obtain the parts specs so I want to capture the parts dimensions prior to engaging the other party so all they have to do is download the file and print.
Which 3d imaging setup would I need in order to do so?
Old 12-31-21, 10:32 PM
WheresWaldo

Troul you even have me stumped, I don't do any 3D scanning but I am sure there are companies willing to scan a part and turn it into a 3D model. Problem is you actually have to have the part first so they can scan it. If I am understanding your question properly.
Likes For WheresWaldo:
Old 01-01-22, 08:49 AM
Troul 

I'd like to have the ability to 3d image it myself. It'd take the guesswork out for the person receiving my 3d image file and put any error on me, which seems to be the hindrance in having some 3d print a part for a customer.
it'd also greatly reduce the lead time too.
Old 01-01-22, 08:52 AM
Troul 

Whereswaldo, do you have a 2 part system that is a flat quick mount for mounting on a water bottle cage bracket?
Old 01-05-22, 10:22 AM
WheresWaldo

Originally Posted by Troul
Whereswaldo, do you have a 2 part system that is a flat quick mount for mounting on a water bottle cage bracket?
Nothing like that, and probably not something I would do myself.

Most people should know I am just a one man team, I do this in my spare time so stuff either has to be something I want for myself or something I find interesting. I am not some huge Asian company spitting out parts by the millions or any other type of worldwide corporation with a staff of people doing design work, it's just me.
Old 01-06-22, 05:21 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Nothing like that, and probably not something I would do myself.
just checking.
Most people should know I am just a one man team, I do this in my spare time so stuff either has to be something I want for myself or something I find interesting. I am not some huge Asian company spitting out parts by the millions or any other type of worldwide corporation with a staff of people doing design work, it's just me.
Similar with my hobbies. IF & when I have spare time, I might dabble in lending myself to others at my decision. Yet, after many years of making it known, I am treated like a facility with a line of machinery that is expected to operate off of thin air.
Old 01-15-22, 01:20 PM
WheresWaldo

New mounts available
Old 03-08-22, 07:45 AM
WheresWaldo

New mounts availableApparently Pinarello uses the same post profile for the GAN, PRINCE, GREVIL, K Series as well as the F8 - F12. Note that this does not fit the 'Dogma F'
Old 04-30-22, 06:53 AM
WheresWaldo

Two new mounts for the Canyon Aeroad (MY2021+)

Cyclic FLY6ce https://shpws.me/T4n0
Garmin Varia https://shpws.me/T4mZ
Old 05-10-22, 06:37 AM
WheresWaldo

I am very surprised I have to post a message like this.

Background
Many people know that cycling is a passion of mine, discovering it in my teens in Oregon. I rode all over the state, but then left it for seventeen years, because you know, life happens. You can look through my past history of posts on this community forum and see that I have had struggles with weight and at one point I was 352 pounds. I had to do something! With the help of my physician and a Gastroenterologist I started to lose the weight. I had gastric bypass surgery and with a regime that included a return to cycling I lost most of the weight. I found myself just under 200 pounds. Still heavy but manageable. I rode and finished the Assault on Mount Mitchell in the Blue Ridge Mountains and I was able to dedicate myself to riding. I was riding about 6000 - 8000 miles per year. But the damage I had done from being obese for so many years did not rear it's ugly head until a couple of years later.

Riding with my daughter, on our tandem, with a group of friends in a regular ride, I had a few chest pains. They went away as soon as we pulled over to the side of the road. I chalked it up to being cold, around 38°F and the beginning of a new season. We finished the ride without further incident. The next weekend on the same group ride, in nearly the same spot, with cold weather, the pains returned. Again, we stop and they went away. We continued the ride without any more pain. The third weekend we are out on the same ride, but this time it was in the 50's. About he same location the pains returned, something was wrong. I went home and called the cardiologist who saw me that very same day. After an initial exam I was preparing to do a cardiac stress test and just about to step on the treadmill when a nurse rushes in and tells me to come with her to see the doctor immediately. When I walk into the doctors private office the nurse closes the door and the doctor's first words, I will never forget this, "Why aren't you dead!". Shocked, I ask why, what does he mean? He goes on to explain that I had three coronary incidents and that I had 98% & 95% blockages on the left and right sides. He then goes on to tell me that he has set up an appointment at the hospital and will meet me there in an hour.

I call my wife, who panics at the news, but she pulls it together and takes me to the hospital. Three hours later I have two stents and all the normal blood flow has returned. On the following checkup, when I asked the doctor why he said what he said, he told me that they typically call the area of my heart that was damaged by the incidents 'the Widow Maker' and it typically is results in death, But I didn't, so I asked why he thought I survived. Basically he told me that all the cycling I had done in the previous two years had basically stress tested my heart over and over again, and that heart, the miraculous organ that it is, found new ways to feed itself. He explained that the riding saved my life.

Why I am telling you all this now
I had a recent encounter with someone that wanted a new item modeled. As per our exchange of messages I tell him how I work and that I do not charge for my design time in exchange I keep the digital files and any addition information or parts that I need to complete the task. I use Shapeways, not because of some deal I have with them, but because they have an easy to use storefront. They are also the people with current 3D print technology. I have tried other services but for the most part I have been satisfied with the service I get from them.

Back to this cyclist, he did provide a digital file of the post profile, with that I said I would come up with something. When giving me the file he demanded that the cost only be a certain amount and he would pay no more. When I told him that I do not dictate the pricing his response was essentially to 'Forget it and delete the file!' My response was short and said I do this for the love of cycling and I hoped that translating his message from his native language was the reason his message was so abrupt. I thought that was going to be it, but his response came. He basically called me a ********ter and that I can do whatever I wanted with the file but he knew how much effort I would have to put into the design and I was a liar. I withdrew from the conversation thread without a reply.

Wrapping this up
I have been doing this for seven years now. I will continue to do this, I am not going to let some faceless / nameless ******* on the internet deter me from doing something I love. I do hope that what I have chosen as a hobby helps a lot of other cyclists, just as much as cycling has helped me. I am just one person, but I do the best I can with what little tools I have at my disposal. In those seven years I have only come across three people that have gotten under my skin, early on a person who supplied an aero post profile wanted me to buy the product for him and told me it was his idea so he owned my design, the NA Felt Marketing Director who told me that not a single FELT owner wanted anything I was offering, and now this guy. I shook off those other two and I will shake this off too.

Thank you for this great community and for taking a few minutes to read this message.
Old 05-10-22, 08:15 AM
Troul 

I know I've ping you for a potential part in the past. Hopefully I did not come off as one of those other folks you've described.

Keep up the continued healthy riding!
Old 05-13-22, 02:46 PM
chap

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there an option for a racktime rack in here? Sadly my racktime rack has no standard holes to make mounting a garmin varia easy.
Old 05-16-22, 05:26 AM
WheresWaldo

Originally Posted by chap
Is there an option for a racktime rack in here? Sadly my racktime rack has no standard holes to make mounting a garmin varia easy.
Can you attach a picture and I can see what I can do?
Old 05-16-22, 07:20 PM
chap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you attach a picture and I can see what I can do?
Sorry, I had tried but I cannot because of my post count.

imgur dot com/a/LYLDGQ2

I've tried to link it.
Old 05-17-22, 05:32 AM
WheresWaldo

Sorry, I had tried but I cannot because of my post count. imgur dot com/a/LYLDGQ2 I've tried to link it.
I have never seen a rack that has no mounting holes in the rear, not even for a reflector! It might take a bit of time before I can sit down and thing about how I would solve for this.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 05-17-22 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-17-22, 05:50 AM
chap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never seen a rack that has no mounting holes in the rear, not even for a reflector! It might take a bit of time before I can sit down and thing about how I would solve for this.
yeah, it’s bizarre. All of the other racktime racks on their website seem to have them! This is the racktime stock rack that comes with the Specialized Vado 5.0 I appreciate any input you may have, thank you!
Old 05-17-22, 08:58 AM
Troul 

yeah, it’s bizarre. All of the other racktime racks on their website seem to have them! This is the racktime stock rack that comes with the Specialized Vado 5.0 I appreciate any input you may have, thank you!
Remove that currently installed allen head fastner, find a stem cap mount that supports the varia & affix the mount to the rack bracket going thru the plastic guard using an acceptable length fastener & locking nut.
Old 06-07-22, 08:13 AM
WheresWaldo

Just picked up a Varia RCT715 Seat Post Mount. I will be making some adapters for it for specific bicycles.

I have already disassembled the mount and I have a few opinions about it. It is bulky, not just big, and its heavier than I expected. The other issue I have is that in my opinion the design was just phoned in by Garmin, They could have easily made it compatible with the old quarter-turn devices. The mounting attachment is significantly smaller that the quarter-turn. I hope they don't make this a standard mount for Varia devices going forward. Lastly the design is overly complicated with two separate angles with each of the included heavy rubber spacers. Since this seems to have been designed by someone just out of design school, personally I think it is one of the worst mounts Garmin has ever built, and my Garmin use dates back to the Edge 205/305 slide in mount. One plus is that this mount appears to be very secure, there is no chance a device will work itself loose as the device doesn't actually twist, the mount does.

Give me a couple of weeks to make sure I can reverse engineer it properly. So far it looks like a RCT715 owner will need to remove 2 screws located on the back side of the mount (closest to the seat post). The screws are M3 x 6 mm and use a T10 Torx bit to remove. The screws are small and easy to lose. I plan on having the RCT715 owner reuse the screws in the new mount. I will try to include a few pictures of the mount disassembled later this week or next.
Old 06-08-22, 08:45 AM
WheresWaldo

Update: I have modeled an adapter to the disassembled RCT715 mount. I think in its current state I will likely only do mounts for the Shimano Pro Saddles and Specialized SWAT equipped saddles as well as the Trek under saddle integrated mount and the Bontrager Blendr mounting system. It is just big and bulky and the mounting holes are in an awkward spot to make it a clean model for all the different seat posts out there (unless I go back to the two bolt clamp design).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.