Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 11:29 AM
yo vanilla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
But here's the thing..that helmet you posted looks fine and I'm sure it's great but it's nothing I'd wear but all helmets look ugly so why not have some fun. I have a nut case because I'm just not "serious" enough to to want to think about my helmet for the 2 miles I'll actually wear one so I choose a helmet that I can sticker bomb.
Nothing wrong with that! I prefer to be unassuming so mine suits me; it sounds like the OP does as well but we will never know since everyone scared her off long ago!
Old 09-29-20, 09:34 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I am pretty sure OP was doing some market research and went back to Insta from whence she came
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-29-20, 02:29 PM
IGH_Only

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Most people buy clothes because of the way it looks to them. They don't just thrown on a plain T-Shirt and any pair of pants and shoes. People buy houses based on what they look like. People buy cars based on what they look like. People choose their mates based on what they look like. People buy BICYCLES based on what they LOOK like.

Why would helmets, which stick out like a sore thumb no matter what kind it is, not matter in terms of aesthetics?
Old 10-13-20, 09:03 AM
Leyburn

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
..... a couple of months later! Different views as always https://www.cyclehelmets.org/1052.ht...20helmet%20use.

Serious head protection = motorcycle crash helmet, isn't that what downhill bicycle racers wear? Would be a bit sweaty for general use though.

I've stopped cycling for now due to verbal altercations with cagers on an almost daily basis as traffic levels increased again.
Old 10-18-20, 01:28 PM
wolfchistian

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Personally me, not a big fan of helmets, i look stupid in them, but for safety i am wearing them, and now i don't really care anymore
Old 10-18-20, 01:34 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I have never been a big fan of them, I mostly wear them so people will shut the f up. However, I went down pretty hard recently without one, and abrasion from the road at 35 mph took all the hair and follicles right off the side of my head. I was concerned the hair would never grow back. I thought that if it didn't it would be a really good cautionary tale about helmet use.

But sadly, all the hair grew back. And so I guess I will continue to wear one when i feel like it, but never when i don't.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-18-20, 01:34 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Helmets don't bother me - stupid or careless cyclists irk me.
Old 10-19-20, 09:04 AM
gergokee

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i dont care how it looks but important to have. save lives.
Old 11-26-20, 04:24 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
After posting my ironic helmet photo up there, today I just saw a guy riding a 90s rigid steel mountain bike around the park wearing almost exactly the same helmet unironically.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-27-20, 09:11 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only
Most people buy clothes because of the way it looks to them. They don't just thrown on a plain T-Shirt and any pair of pants and shoes. People buy houses based on what they look like. People buy cars based on what they look like. People choose their mates based on what they look like. People buy BICYCLES based on what they LOOK like.

Why would helmets, which stick out like a sore thumb no matter what kind it is, not matter in terms of aesthetics?
I think they do, for a lot of cyclists who like to wear the fashionable helmets.

I don't buy any of those things based on what they look like BTW, and am resigned to the fact that bike helmets will look goofy no matter what. I just buy the cheap Bell or Schwinn, and nobody but cyclists know those from a Giro anyway.
Old 11-27-20, 08:13 PM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'll be happy to find one that fits my giant head, even the "universal fit" ones don't really fit properly. Going to try some boutique helmets later on ($70+)
Old 11-28-20, 11:37 AM
Matthew913

Bikes: Lectric XP (Black)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I struggled with this a bit too and just decided to buy the one I liked. I chose Nutcase with MIPS. It looks pretty large on my head because I am between sizes. But I found one I really liked. Get the one you like personally and don't worry about what others think.

I'm learning this extends to clothing too. If we end up riding a lot, comfort and safety matter most. Look at it this way - if someone sees you and doesn't like what you're wearing, they will ask the very same questions if they decide to start riding. So buy the helmet you like, the cloths you like and enjoy riding . This is some of the advise I read and it helped me get over it.
Old 11-28-20, 06:04 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,719 Times in 1,004 Posts
Having crashed once, and having 5 surgeries on my shoulder and none on my head as I was wearing a helmet, I don't care what they look like as long as it is comfortable and fits. I recently got a Bontrager Specter with the WaveCel system and I really like it. While I commuted for a while, I also ride for enjoyment, so it is worth it for me.

Old 05-24-22, 05:56 AM
Zoelakin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wearing a bike helmet will protect you from a serious head injury and lessen the blow in case of an accident. You should use the correct helmet size, use the straps and buckle, and know the correct position of the helmet on your head.
Old 05-24-22, 06:17 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by katiemar11
I can't seem to find a helmet that actually looks good and doesn't make me look like an idiot on the road.
Fortunately, it exists. However, there's a catch. You won't look like an idiot until you actually crash and the thing activates and if the thing activates, you'll look twice more idiot than someone wearing a regular bike helmet.

Old 05-24-22, 06:31 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Astrozombie
I'll be happy to find one that fits my giant head, even the "universal fit" ones don't really fit properly. Going to try some boutique helmets later on ($70+)
I've got a fairly large-diameter head, so bike helmets have rarely fit me well. Check out the Align II MIPS helmet from Specialized. Am really pleased with the comfortable fit, with that thing. It's none too expensive, and it's also fairly highly rated (top 10) on the Helmet Ratings list by Virginia Tech.
Old 05-30-22, 08:09 AM
Fidler

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Relieved to see that everyone looks a bit silly in a helmet.
I, too, have been looking for one that won't make me look ridiculous.
To make things a little worse, I am a size L and these things really amplify the
head they sit on.

So far I have auditioned and rejected Giro Caden II, POC Crane, Scott II Doppio Plus.
And these are what I consider the better looking ones.

I saw a couple of promising ones by Bell, so Im optimistic.