Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

"Skipping gears" after new chain and rear derail. pulleys

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Skipping gears" after new chain and rear derail. pulleys

Old 05-25-22, 09:52 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
This thread was resurrected at an opportune time. Recently, I discovered my chain was worn enough to replace, so I was conscientious and replaced the chain, cassette, and worn jockey pulleys all at once. To make a long story short, the brand new cassette had gears that were out-of-true and I couldn't adjust the indexing to save my life. Luckily the old cassette worked fine when I dropped it back in.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 05-25-22, 12:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
This thread was resurrected at an opportune time. Recently, I discovered my chain was worn enough to replace, so I was conscientious and replaced the chain, cassette, and worn jockey pulleys all at once. To make a long story short, the brand new cassette had gears that were out-of-true and I couldn't adjust the indexing to save my life. Luckily the old cassette worked fine when I dropped it back in.

Could you get a refund on the defective new cassette?
Old 05-26-22, 02:15 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I probably could, if I'd saved the packaging. This was a PG950 cassette. Back 15-20 years ago I had a string of problems with SRAM cassettes. I thought that was all behind me. Maybe the safe route to take would be to just use Shimano in the future.
Old 05-27-22, 04:47 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I ended up changing the slipping cogs for new ones rather than waiting for my new chain to wear out a bit and settle down.

I think the new-chain slip effect may be partly non-perfect gear-dérailleur alignment coupled with the way in which new chains, with less side to side bend, demand more accuracy.

My (made to bend, made to be unique and therefore expensive rip-off) dérailleur hanger is a bit bent but I don't want to buy another. With new gears the bike works.

Last edited by timtak; 05-27-22 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-27-22, 05:48 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
In my experience this frustrating problem can resolve itself, just be extra cognizant about your pedalstroke. My dads bike does this when he rides in his little front gear much to his dismay, but I can get it to work because he mashes really hard. You can kind of wear a new chain to an old casette
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-27-22, 06:53 PM
Roadhawg
Razza 4.0

Bikes: Tirreno Razza 4.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by elcyc
I just replaced my chain (KMC x.99) with the exact same KMC chain, on my 21-speed Gary Fisher.
Concurrently, I replaced both rear derail. jockey pulley wheels with same Shimano models. I was careful in noting rotation and proper pulley position (upper and lower are different).
Everything looks aligned and true--the parts replacement went smoothly. I have done both procedures several times before on my Gary Fisher -- all w/o incident.

Except now, after replacing these new components, I am noting some significant "skipping" on the highest gears (smallest cassette cogs) (all this when PEDALING, i.e., CHAIN UNDER TORQUE). From what I could "see" when I looked at cassette while moving, the skip seemed to be the the chain "wanting" to shift left . The skipping is very apparent on the smallest cog. And the problem goes away from middle to largest cog.
I did some experiments with barrel adj.; made no difference.
It doesn't matter which front crank chain-ring I'm using.

On the other hand, smoothness and crispness has significantly improved. But that skipping is very annoying.

Later today or tomorrow, I'll try to do a full rear derail. alignment.
Till then, I'll let you all take dibs on what the problem may be!! Give me place to start!
Sounds like a new cassette may be in order.
Old 05-29-22, 10:39 PM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadhawg
Sounds like a new cassette may be in order.
No! I stood corrected, about 2 years ago now, on what the REAL issue was.
I removed the new chain and replaced it with the orig ( KMC purch's new in July 2017, concurrently replaced the same as new Shimano cassette, so no issue in July 2017). Still using the 2017 set which is pretty worn and I can only use in certain gear combos ... and my crank chain rings are very worn, too, with the middle ring useless.
Oh .... I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuve rubbin' that in to the work-fer-a-livin' mechanix ..... BF LIFERs ..... ohhhhhhhhhhhh that hurts .......... OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Likes For elcyc:
Old 05-30-22, 07:05 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
elcyc sure showed us! All they had to do was ride a nonfunctional bike for two years to prove us wrong, and along the way forget what advice it was that they were trying to prove incorrect!
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 05-30-22, 07:49 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
In my experience this frustrating problem can resolve itself, just be extra cognizant about your pedalstroke. My dads bike does this when he rides in his little front gear much to his dismay, but I can get it to work because he mashes really hard. You can kind of wear a new chain to an old casette
Limit my power each time I put on a new chain? I would rather avoid that and periodically check the chain for stretch instead and replace shortly before the maximum recommended stretch is reached.

I deal with plenty of ~20% gradient climbs, some pretty long so there's no way to take it easy and you can't afford the chain to skip under such conditions.

Plus, the practice of allowing chain to stretch beyond maximum allowable will accelerate wear of the cassette and chain rings. It is not a good economy and skipping imparts huge load on your drivetrain. That's bad to the BB, cranks, hub body, etc. You'll end up wearing those parts sooner or worse, failure during ride.

The next time you put on new cassette and chainring, begin the good practice of periodically checking for chain stretch and replace as soon as stretched to maximum recommended.

Last edited by koala logs; 05-30-22 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-30-22, 11:56 PM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

Non-functional?

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
elcyc sure showed us! All they had to do was ride a nonfunctional bike for two years to prove us wrong, and along the way forget what advice it was that they were trying to prove incorrect!
"Non-functional?" Really, toots? Try 15mi every other day, .... with four panniers loaded with groceries.... since the cassette/chains were simultaneously replaced July 2017.
Old 05-31-22, 04:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Don't feed the really incompetent, utterly obnoxious troll. They were looking for a stupid argument, not advice.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-31-22, 07:51 AM
ClydeClydeson

"Non-functional?" Really, toots? Try 15mi every other day, .... with four panniers loaded with groceries.... since the cassette/chains were simultaneously replaced July 2017.
...Still using the 2017 set which is pretty worn and I can only use in certain gear combos ... and my crank chain rings are very worn, too, with the middle ring useless.
Great job! I want you to fix my bike next!
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 05-31-22, 11:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Great job! I want you to fix my bike next!

So wait, the question of this thread is now "how many gears out of 21 have to be unusable before the bike is declared non-functional?"???!!!!

I may have to reconsider--maybe it's worth it to feed the troll when the troll says stuff that entertainingly ridiculous.
Old 05-31-22, 01:24 PM
ClydeClydeson

Originally Posted by livedarklions
So wait, the question of this thread is now "how many gears out of 21 have to be unusable before the bike is declared non-functional?"???!!!!

I may have to reconsider--maybe it's worth it to feed the troll when the troll says stuff that entertainingly ridiculous.
He is embracing the Buddhist philosophy that to end suffering you must stop wanting. He has stopped wanting to have a functional bike and is therefore happy.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 05-31-22, 04:08 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 4,818 Times in 2,977 Posts
How about dysfunctional then?
Old 06-05-22, 01:11 AM
elcyc

Umm

Well, I just happened to pass by this on my EOD commute to the grocery store via beach trail.
Dysfunctional bike next to a bunch of air-polluting classics. DYSFUNCTIONAL.

Old 06-05-22, 02:25 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
3-4 chains per cassette, 3-4 cassettes per set of chainrings/crankset. Check your chains at 2,500 kms with a chain checking tool and rely on that. Replace when 0.75 or more is indicated.

For old school 6-7 speeds or Tourney, you may get more life out of everything, which may be the reason for all the hand wringing over a $15 cassette earlier in the thread?

On my commuter I get 3 chains to a Sunrace cassette (with light skipping on chain 3 until it wears in a bit) and 4 chains to a Shimano cassette.

Chains are cheaper than cassettes, which are cheaper than cranksets. Leaving chains on for too long will wear out both cassettes and cranksets.

Last edited by PDKL45; 07-22-22 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-13-22, 12:34 PM
elcyc

Finally bit the bullet .... replaced chain, derail pulleys, all crank chainrings and cassette.
DIY, of course. Don't trust dem mechanix
Old 07-13-22, 11:25 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Does it run smoothly through all cogs/chainrings now?
Old 07-14-22, 07:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Finally bit the bullet .... replaced chain, derail pulleys, all crank chainrings and cassette.
DIY, of course. Don't trust dem mechanix
Given your absurd and truly obnoxious/hostile position throughout this thread, you didn't "bite the bullet", you ate the crow.

Hope you like hearing "I told you so".
Old 07-14-22, 09:59 AM
elcyc

The July 2017-replaced chain and cassette lasted until July 2022.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Given your absurd and truly obnoxious/hostile position throughout this thread, you didn't "bite the bullet", you ate the crow.

Hope you like hearing "I told you so".
Your reply is confuZing AF, toots. I know you’re bored AF and toss off any ol’ sentence … but ya’ gotta leave it alone sometimes. Capisce?
AGAIN:

Stay after class and write that factual statement on the backboard till it's full:

Last edited by elcyc; 07-14-22 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-14-22, 01:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Your reply is confuZing AF, toots. I know you’re bored AF and toss off any ol’ sentence … but ya’ gotta leave it alone sometimes. Capisce?
AGAIN:

Stay after class and write that factual statement on the backboard till it's full:

No it didn't. You just put up with its dysfunction longer than someone with any sense would.

You were told this bike would suck until you replaced the cassette and chain. You then proceeded to attack people for saying that. Now you've finally replaced not only the cassette and chain, but the pulleys and chainrings as well. In other words, you wore out pretty much the entire drive train because of your stubbornness. To do this, you rode the bike with an increasing number of non-functioning gears, and have pretended that the problems you identified in the OP weren't really problems after all.

Not sure what you're here for, but I can't help but point out what a complete fool you've made of yourself...
Likes For livedarklions: