Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trying to Sell CoMotion Trident - Where to reach the Niche Market?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 05-27-22, 05:50 AM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've just posted my triple tandem for sale on Craigslist, tandemclassifieds and FB Marketplace, I'm getting nibbles and suspect it is a niche bike that make take awhile to sell. Wondering if ya'll might have tips for where else to reach folks?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...487085747.html
Old 05-30-22, 04:09 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
I'd say the most common suggestion is tandemclassifieds, You've mentioned the other two common ones. Without knowing how long your listing has been up there are two common issues. Either you're not being patient enough, or you're asking too much. Possibly a combination of both. Triples (and to an extent tandems) have a funny market due to being uncommon. If you need on right now, or need it gone right now, the price is high/low accordingly. Given enough time or luck it'll trend toward the other end.

For comparison, since I've been keeping an eye out for the model you're selling (though with drop bars), and for the slightly more expensive convertible model, for about the past 2 years. I saw nearly your exact model, but with a metallic paint job and more production looking handlebars (this is a good thing IMO) asking just less than what you're asking in the SF Bay area. I don't know if it sold or what it sold for, but I know the listing was constantly refreshed for at least 6 months. As a side note, it was also very well photographed.
I've seen several others of that same model with asking prices between $2k and $3k sell in the 3 month timeframe. Some are set up with drop bars, others with flat. Most have had Shimano 9 or 10 sp shifters, one was similar Campy. One was fully coupled, and a few have been at least partially coupled. This one's been trying to sell for at least a month, has a coupler in the middle, and a lower asking price: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...478365382.html.
Old 05-30-22, 04:37 AM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are some great nuggest of wisdom in here, thanks for taking the time to help me think it through. I've taken note on your comments about patience, price, and photos and plan to do something about all three in the coming weeks.

Originally Posted by jccaclimber
I'd say the most common suggestion is tandemclassifieds, You've mentioned the other two common ones. Without knowing how long your listing has been up there are two common issues. Either you're not being patient enough, or you're asking too much. Possibly a combination of both. Triples (and to an extent tandems) have a funny market due to being uncommon. If you need on right now, or need it gone right now, the price is high/low accordingly. Given enough time or luck it'll trend toward the other end.

For comparison, since I've been keeping an eye out for the model you're selling (though with drop bars), and for the slightly more expensive convertible model, for about the past 2 years. I saw nearly your exact model, but with a metallic paint job and more production looking handlebars (this is a good thing IMO) asking just less than what you're asking in the SF Bay area. I don't know if it sold or what it sold for, but I know the listing was constantly refreshed for at least 6 months. As a side note, it was also very well photographed.
I've seen several others of that same model with asking prices between $2k and $3k sell in the 3 month timeframe. Some are set up with drop bars, others with flat. Most have had Shimano 9 or 10 sp shifters, one was similar Campy. One was fully coupled, and a few have been at least partially coupled. This one's been trying to sell for at least a month, has a coupler in the middle, and a lower asking price: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...478365382.html.
Old 05-31-22, 11:52 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by davidmcowan
and suspect it is a niche bike that make take awhile to sell. Wondering if ya'll might have tips for where else to reach folks?
I'm also thinking it's a niche bike. It fits just a small window of time for a growing family, and most are more interested in a trip or two to Dairy Queen during the summer rather than regular family outings. We got a Cannondale tandem with the stoker seat adjustable to fit my wife, and our 10 and 8 year olds. It was challenging to find just one of the three interested in riding the first few years, let alone two. (But 21 years later, the 'dale does have 25k miles on it.)

REI used to have a bulletin board at their entrance for such postings. I can't remember if they still do as I don't frequent the store as often as I used to. That might be a good place to target the right audience--Bloomington and Roseville.
Old 05-31-22, 12:30 PM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While this is true, there are also plenty of examples of families who do get excited to ride together. I made some tweaks based on comments and i'm fielding a decent number of questions from people who have their interest piqued, we'll see if it is enough to pull the trigger. (I was just at REI yesterday and didn't see much of a board, i completely forgot their might be a way to do this that isn't online. >)
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
I'm also thinking it's a niche bike. It fits just a small window of time for a growing family, and most are more interested in a trip or two to Dairy Queen during the summer rather than regular family outings. We got a Cannondale tandem with the stoker seat adjustable to fit my wife, and our 10 and 8 year olds. It was challenging to find just one of the three interested in riding the first few years, let alone two. (But 21 years later, the 'dale does have 25k miles on it.)

REI used to have a bulletin board at their entrance for such postings. I can't remember if they still do as I don't frequent the store as often as I used to. That might be a good place to target the right audience--Bloomington and Roseville.
Old 05-31-22, 07:35 PM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I am trying to sell ours, which is coupled in the middle like the one on portland craiglist. Asking $3k. Didn't post it incredibly widely, had a couple of nibbles, but didn't sell. I think you just have to post it as widely as you can and hope the right person comes along. I may end up donating ours and just take the tax deduction if it doesn't move by the end of the summer.
Old 06-02-22, 12:03 PM
2gether84

Bikes: 1999 Cannondale RT3000, Trek T-900, Trek 5200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bwebel
I am trying to sell ours, which is coupled in the middle like the one on portland craiglist. Asking $3k. Didn't post it incredibly widely, had a couple of nibbles, but didn't sell. I think you just have to post it as widely as you can and hope the right person comes along. I may end up donating ours and just take the tax deduction if it doesn't move by the end of the summer.
What region of the country are you located in? Thanks!