Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me identify this pre '60 Pista - thanks!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help me identify this pre '60 Pista - thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-22, 05:22 PM
indycycling

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks again for all the great info on the bike. I do think this is a Wastyn based on that blue bike and the lug patterns, I am going to contact them and send some pics tomorrow.

There is also a Schwinn decal on the head tube along with the Hat in the Ring on the seat tube.

I spent some time on the bike today - cleaned the frame and used a 8K grit pad with compound to lightly clean dirt and rust, then waxed it. Cleaned and polished all other parts, greased, and reassembled it. Added a random leather saddle. Brampton is stamped on one of the headset pieces.

Here are some pics - this is a piece of history and will remain in this great patina condition, will not be repainted. Chrome and the Mavic rims have some pitting, but it's character. A good friend has some nice gumwall sewups to add and I should be done.

I added the track bar/stem back again, can you make out the brand? These were corroded and broke the stem bolt, so moving the bars in the stem was done gingerly to see the script.

What else do you guys think?

Last edited by indycycling; 05-25-22 at 06:09 PM.
Likes For indycycling:
Old 05-25-22, 08:09 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by indycycling
Thanks again for all the great info on the bike. I do think this is a Wastyn based on that blue bike and the lug patterns, I am going to contact them and send some pics tomorrow.

There is also a Schwinn decal on the head tube along with the Hat in the Ring on the seat tube.

I spent some time on the bike today - cleaned the frame and used a 8K grit pad with compound to lightly clean dirt and rust, then waxed it. Cleaned and polished all other parts, greased, and reassembled it. Added a random leather saddle. Brampton is stamped on one of the headset pieces.

Here are some pics - this is a piece of history and will remain in this great patina condition, will not be repainted. Chrome and the Mavic rims have some pitting, but it's character. A good friend has some nice gumwall sewups to add and I should be done.

I added the track bar/stem back again, can you make out the brand? These were corroded and broke the stem bolt, so moving the bars in the stem was done gingerly to see the script.

What else do you guys think?

Titan bars, go to Belgian maker, very cool and correct, it will be interesting to see what Scott at Wastyn has to say. You need to reach out to Richard Schwinn as well, he's always happy to add whatever he can too.

Great job on the cleanup, nothing better than a sympathetic cleanup and sorting to get these to where we can really appreciate where they have been and what we think about it all.

Love it when this happens.

Same went for this one.

Likes For merziac:
Old 05-27-22, 01:26 PM
indycycling

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Got great news from Scott Wastyn after sending him a bunch of pics - quoting his email reply below:

"I would definitely lean towards a Wastyn built , serial numbers that we used had no specific meaning. If you wanted your birthday, that was the serial number, you chose what the serial number was. Looks like a good find"

I've asked him to estimate the age of the frame, stay tuned

Last edited by indycycling; 09-09-22 at 01:19 PM. Reason: update
Likes For indycycling:
Old 06-01-22, 05:46 PM
indycycling

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Some Vittoria tubulars added courtesy of friend Shawn, sloar member here
Old 09-09-22, 04:11 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

I am putting the Wastyn up for sale - I'm a Schwinn Stingray collector and I'd love to see someone who really appreciates these early track/pista bikes enjoy in their collection. Message me if interested, it is listed for sale on the CABE in the DOND section of the forum, thanks
Big no no here, no for sale talk in regular threads.

You have to upgrade and list in for sale section.

Sad to see you're letting this go, its one heck of a crossover find/get and way out of my league too.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-09-22, 04:24 PM
indycycling

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Big no no here, no for sale talk in regular threads.

You have to upgrade and list in for sale section.

Sad to see you're letting this go, its one heck of a crossover find/get and way out of my league too.
Thanks my friend, my bad, I am not on this page often. I deleted my post, thanks
Old 09-09-22, 05:47 PM
merziac

Thanks my friend, my bad, I am not on this page often. I deleted my post, thanks
No worries, easy to get carried away.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-09-22, 06:27 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
What I find most interesting is the bottom bracket bearings arrangement- appears original- uncommon assembly/ cottered even!

no idea on the maker though
It's a Stronglight bottom bracket.
Likes For JohnDThompson: