Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Rouvy

Old 03-03-21, 06:53 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
I haven't done a lot of Zwift and have only done 2 Rouvy rides, but I am favoring Rouvy. Maybe I'm antisocial (as I sit here wearing my Oscar the Grouch t-shirt) but it's more of my style of riding--out there alone and only occasionally seeing another rider. I like being "out" there and setting my sites on catching up to the next rider. I know I can do that on Zwift but it's more satisfying in Rouvy.​​​​​

I have made two virtual routes from old rides and uploaded them to Rouvy. Now I'm trying to figure out how to take the video from my car's dash cam to sync to the ride.

Paul
Old 03-06-21, 10:24 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Had a super, super-weird pair of Rouvy experiences this week.

First was not-really-coincidental. I sought and found a decent ride in Hawaii in a part of the world where I enjoy going on vacation. Passed some familiar-to-me landmarks and had a great ride ... and then the ride ended in the middle of a Waikoloa condo complex, exactly in front of the very-random unit we rented in 2019.

Two days later I was using the (terrible) ride-search feature, and found a route that goes past my house.

Deja-Rou?
Old 03-06-21, 11:55 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Had a super, super-weird pair of Rouvy experiences this week.

First was not-really-coincidental. I sought and found a decent ride in Hawaii in a part of the world where I enjoy going on vacation. Passed some familiar-to-me landmarks and had a great ride ... and then the ride ended in the middle of a Waikoloa condo complex, exactly in front of the very-random unit we rented in 2019.

Two days later I was using the (terrible) ride-search feature, and found a route that goes past my house.

Deja-Rou?
Coincidental that you mention Waikoloa...my wife and I are currently staying in Waikoloa for the month. At home, I have done some Rouvy Ironman routes and have seen lots of familiar sights but haven't seen any route (s) that ride in/around Waikoloa. I will check it out when I get home.

I have done no Rouvy but many RideWithGPS routes that go by my house....almost all of them started by me since I live in a dead-end street!
Old 03-06-21, 05:48 PM
Danhedonia

We stayed in Kolea - nice enough units but like much of Waikoloa we found the other guests not our speed. (By that I mean rude and loudly so). I grew up in Lincoln (I see you're from Framingham) so you can guess that I like quiet and nature. The location was great but lots of screaming kids, and of course they were being screamed at by parents who were being yelled at by grandparents.

I actually caught an elderly woman trying to take my waterproof camera from my shoe on my towel - I was walking out of the water and said in a clear voice "I hope you put that back." In a moment of astonishing candor she said "I didn't think anyone was watching." Apparently! Well, at least she looked embarrassed.

Besides giving a not so subtle indication that I find guest behavior there pretty horrifying, I should justify my post by telling you that if you haven't been up to the Big Island Brewhaus in Waimea for a burger and couple of pints (go before 4:30 to have a prayer at one of the few tables), you are missing out. I'd get it to-go, and yeah, I mean the beer and the burger both.

I love the Big Island, man. Some great places there.
Old 03-06-21, 06:15 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
We stayed in Kolea - nice enough units but like much of Waikoloa we found the other guests not our speed. (By that I mean rude and loudly so). I grew up in Lincoln (I see you're from Framingham) so you can guess that I like quiet and nature. The location was great but lots of screaming kids, and of course they were being screamed at by parents who were being yelled at by grandparents.

I actually caught an elderly woman trying to take my waterproof camera from my shoe on my towel - I was walking out of the water and said in a clear voice "I hope you put that back." In a moment of astonishing candor she said "I didn't think anyone was watching." Apparently! Well, at least she looked embarrassed.

Besides giving a not so subtle indication that I find guest behavior there pretty horrifying, I should justify my post by telling you that if you haven't been up to the Big Island Brewhaus in Waimea for a burger and couple of pints (go before 4:30 to have a prayer at one of the few tables), you are missing out. I'd get it to-go, and yeah, I mean the beer and the burger both.

I love the Big Island, man. Some great places there.
We have been coming to the Big Island for the better part of 40 years. We used to stay in Kailua-Kona or s=S of it near Capt Cook. In the last 10 years, we have stayed on the Kohala coast in codos in either the Waikoloa resort or Muana Lani resort. We have never had a bad experience. For the last 3 years, we have stayed at the same condo at the Shores of Waikoloa resort just up the side street across from Kolea. We have been on the Kolea property and always thought is was nice, but thanks for the warning. The Shores is smaller than Kolea and a lot smaller than Vista Waikoloa, just down the street from us. We have never had any issues with kids, other guests or the full-time residents that live here.

We have been to the BI Brewhaus and agree it is worth the ride. By coincidence, we are going to Waimea tonight for dinner at the Red Water Cafe, which also is very good.
Old 03-07-21, 09:13 AM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
I have some very strong opinions about how Zwift and Rouvy just don't seem like full-fledged software companies. No game company would ever have such glitchy software and not face either insurrection from users or quick obscurity.

Given that both charge above $10/monthly, it just doesn't sit well with me at all. It's especially galling that Eric Min makes the media rounds boasting about the capital they've raised, and still has a pretty buggy program out there.

That said, I love riding in Rouvy. Just the best road-feel of all of them.

If only I could figure out how to do something other than load up a route and ride it on AR ....
What they are attempting to do I think adds complexity, and they are starting from scratch as software companies, compared to the more established software brands. Also - as anyone can attest who has been riding for a while, technology in cycling always comes in fits and starts. Perfect example: Early power meters vs, more modern power meters. GCN & Flobikes vs. Cycling.TV,

The first entrants into a new tech or product almost always have some issues that get worked out over time.
Likes For Het Volk:
Old 03-07-21, 01:03 PM
Danhedonia

I just wish someone would begin the inevitable 'challenge to Zwift.' It's a great concept with mediocre execution; I'd say their most significant contribution is proving the market exists.
Old 03-07-21, 06:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
There is a zwift challenger, unfortunately I forget what it's called. Looked pretty good. They might actually make it so you don't ride through anyone else.
Old 03-12-21, 05:31 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
... I was using the (terrible) ride-search feature....
Agreed, this is perhaps the one item that I have found to really be poorly done. That really needs to be re-worked.

Old 03-20-21, 06:16 AM
oujeep1

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
We have been coming to the Big Island for the better part of 40 years. We used to stay in Kailua-Kona or s=S of it near Capt Cook. In the last 10 years, we have stayed on the Kohala coast in codos in either the Waikoloa resort or Muana Lani resort. We have never had a bad experience. For the last 3 years, we have stayed at the same condo at the Shores of Waikoloa resort just up the side street across from Kolea. We have been on the Kolea property and always thought is was nice, but thanks for the warning. The Shores is smaller than Kolea and a lot smaller than Vista Waikoloa, just down the street from us. We have never had any issues with kids, other guests or the full-time residents that live here.

We have been to the BI Brewhaus and agree it is worth the ride. By coincidence, we are going to Waimea tonight for dinner at the Red Water Cafe, which also is very good.
If you like Rouvy and you like Waikoloa you should check out the FulGaz app, it is similar to Rouvy except the videos are taken by a cyclist and not from a car. The video quality is very good and a large variety of rides- specifically the iron man route from Hawi to Kona, you can choose which direction you go, and also ride up from Waikoloa resort up to Waikoloa and then up to Hwy 190 over to Waimea and up Kohala Mt Road. The climb up to Hwy 190 is a long tough slog.
Of course everyone would rather be there than be virtual, but at least theres no heat and no wind
If you cycle Maui, there is also a West Maui ride that includes the infamous "wall" section,
Old 03-20-21, 11:21 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Another option is Open Road (https://bikethe.world/). Price is very reasonable and excellent video quality. Basic software but works smoothly and accurately. Try the demo and your feedback would be interesting.
Old 03-22-21, 01:53 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I only recently started paying for zwift in addition to rouvy. There’s almost always other riders on any rouvy course that’s part of an ongoing challenge or needed to level up. There’s no lead in, you always start at the start. Each course has its own permanent standings. Zwift by comparison doesn’t take course tt to this level, but the sprints and koms are fun and good training. There’s always others out, and it is more social. I also enjoy the pace bots, that’s a great concept! Basically I ride both, and mix things up. Depends on my mood and what I feel like. I’m consistently getting faster, so it works for me currently...
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 03-23-21, 07:51 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Just a clarification on Rouvy you can drop in anywhere on a course. I really like that feature because I can ride hard on a course and the wife jumps on for the last 10 miles and we can ride alongside each other.
Old 01-09-22, 05:12 PM
CaptainOzone

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Resistance on Rouvy?

I'm using Rouvy with a Wahoo Kickr Core on the Rouvy app in Windows 10. I find that, in training mode, when the slope of the road changes, I don't perceive an increase or decrease in resistance. Rather, I feel the same level of resistance while my speed, indicated on the app, increases or decreases as I go down or uphill. Is there a setting I can change to make these virtual rides more realistic? (P.S.: I'm using "reply to thread" to post this, because I can't figure out how to start a thread.)
Old 01-09-22, 06:36 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Make sure reality in your settings is set to 100. You don't use a rear tire so it can't be slippage.
Old 01-09-22, 06:49 PM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
You want to be in time trail mode that is 100%.
Training mode you can set reality to what ever you wish to set it at.
Old 01-09-22, 09:25 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainOzone
I'm using Rouvy with a Wahoo Kickr Core on the Rouvy app in Windows 10. I find that, in training mode, when the slope of the road changes, I don't perceive an increase or decrease in resistance. Rather, I feel the same level of resistance while my speed, indicated on the app, increases or decreases as I go down or uphill. Is there a setting I can change to make these virtual rides more realistic? (P.S.: I'm using "reply to thread" to post this, because I can't figure out how to start a thread.)
The Kickr has to be configured as a controllable in the sensor settings, not just as power, and nothing else should be connected to the Kickr at the same time.
Old 01-12-22, 11:53 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Rouvy & Wahoo Kickr Bike (smart bike)

When using the Wahoo Kickr Bike (Wahoo's smart bike) with Rouvy, do the brifter hood buttons perform any functions?
Example: in FulGaz, hood buttons adjust "Slope Scaling".

Thanks

Barry
Old 01-12-22, 12:52 PM
Ed Wiser

you have two modes of riding a route in Rouvy. Training which allows you to set a % of reality. An time trial mode which is 100 % reality. The buttons on the bike do the basic shifting functions. No on the fly making a route easier. Except in ERG mode workouts.
mod coarse with the kicker bike you can set up any gearing you want. So you can climb any mountain.
Old 01-12-22, 12:59 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Slope Scaling

Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
No on the fly making a route easier.
Thanks for the info.
With that one statement, I'm sticking to FulGaz.
Due to various reasons (detailed elsewhere) I'm battling with a low FTP.
There is nothing worst than scooting along, only to be hit with a climb I can't achieve and having to quit the ride.
On the fly "slope scaling" is awesome, and having it available on the hoods even better.
BTW - for those without a smart bike, on the fly "Slope Scaling" is available, I can also adjust it from my Apple TV remote.

FulGaz to the rescue!

Barry
Old 01-12-22, 01:16 PM
Ed Wiser

You do realize that the Kickr Bike allows you to have a triple chain ring setup.
you can go up to a 70 rear cassette.

I have several gearing setups.

Old 01-12-22, 01:20 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Sure do, but unlike my actual Di2 you can't adjust the full sync shift points manually.
Petty, maybe, a little... but it is how I expect it to function. The whole point was to duplicate my road bike.

Barry
Old 01-12-22, 02:22 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Kickr Bikes allow triple simulation? I'd always wondered that. I ride Campagnolo 10 speed triples in real life and would not want to give them up if I had the budget to go to a smart bike.
Old 01-12-22, 04:15 PM
Ed Wiser

You can ride any type of gearing you want on a Kickr bike. Campagnolo shifting and SRAM AND Shimano too. The other smart bikes don’t have that capability.
Old 03-18-22, 11:00 AM
Pokerix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kayakindude, can you tell how to drop in on a course eg halfway?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.