Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Giant Simple Single

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Giant Simple Single

Old 09-22-20, 06:52 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Giant Simple Single

Hello all - just wanted to share a pic of my Giant Cruiser. I have been thinking of selling but it has some really good lines so am rethinking that decision. I did not care for the handlebar sweep and length so cut 4" off each end, which really made it more comfortable to ride and easier to control. Also thinking of ditching the coaster and going freewheel/handbrakes.
Likes For viperocco:
Old 09-22-20, 07:23 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Sharp lookin' cruiser, viperocco.

I've chopped the length of bars on every cruiser I've ever had.

Speaking of your brake idea, I have a bike with a front rim brake and a rear coaster. I've grown fond of and accustomed to that set up to the point I don't want to change it.
Old 09-22-20, 08:02 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Thanks. Your brake option is something to consider and certainly less work.
Likes For viperocco:
Old 11-10-20, 09:22 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Viperocco that is a good looking single speed bicycle. It has very nice lines. One of the nicest cantilever styles of bicycle that I have seen. Sturmey Archer makes freewheel hubs that have a drum brake attached. They also make front hub drum brakes. I have used a 90mm front hub drum brake from Sturmey and it was very powerful. I also have a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub with a 70mm drum brake and it works very well. Great bicycle.
Old 11-10-20, 10:26 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Sharp lookin' cruiser, viperocco.

I've chopped the length of bars on every cruiser I've ever had.

Speaking of your brake idea, I have a bike with a front rim brake and a rear coaster. I've grown fond of and accustomed to that set up to the point I don't want to change it.
What Front caliper are you using in this picture? And do you have a better pic? How well does it work?

Originally Posted by FiftySix

I've always wanted to put a Springer Fork on my Electra 7D and finally found a company that makes one to accommodate a longer head tube. The downside is they don't offer one with a option for a V brake. On the regular models they do but I have a feeling the springers forward support looks thin and the tubes would really flex, so the option is a center mount but I would want a decent caliper not the cheapie $15 setup they offer, the One on your bike looks pretty nice.
Likes For JehD:
Old 11-11-20, 01:44 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by JehD
What Front caliper are you using in this picture? And do you have a better pic? How well does it work?

I've always wanted to put a Springer Fork on my Electra 7D and finally found a company that makes one to accommodate a longer head tube. The downside is they don't offer one with a option for a V brake. On the regular models they do but I have a feeling the springers forward support looks thin and the tubes would really flex, so the option is a center mount but I would want a decent caliper not the cheapie $15 setup they offer, the One on your bike looks pretty nice.
The bike came with a Tektro double pivot, but it's old enough that the quick release feature didn't get included with this version. It's a good strong brake, but I have to remove a brake pad to remove the wider 42mm tires as seen in the bottom photo you posted.

Below is a pic from when I first got the bike used with the original dry-rotted 35mm or 38mm tires.

Last edited by FiftySix; 11-11-20 at 01:48 PM.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-11-20, 02:09 PM
JehD

Not having the quick release is something to consider as I end up raking my wheel off a lot to get the bike in my truck. I guess I may have to look into a disk if I really want the Springer. I wonder if Electra will sell just the hub from the Fattire bike? Guess I’ll keep looking. Thanks.
Old 11-12-20, 07:37 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Not having the quick release is something to consider as I end up raking my wheel off a lot to get the bike in my truck. I guess I may have to look into a disk if I really want the Springer. I wonder if Electra will sell just the hub from the Fattire bike? Guess I’ll keep looking. Thanks.
Tektro makes quick release dual pivot calipers as well. I just don't know what brake model they make would work for you.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-20-20, 09:32 PM
JR35

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet rides!
Old 11-21-20, 08:48 PM
Crossthreaded88

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by viperocco
Hello all - just wanted to share a pic of my Giant Cruiser. I have been thinking of selling but it has some really good lines so am rethinking that decision. I did not care for the handlebar sweep and length so cut 4" off each end, which really made it more comfortable to ride and easier to control. Also thinking of ditching the coaster and going freewheel/handbrakes.
This was my Giant Simple 7 and I wish I had never sold it. Lightweight easy to pedal and I guess stylish although that never mattered to me. I did end up getting an older one with twin top bars and I really like it better than the newer one. Kind of a beater so I don't have a picture of the twin bar.

Was offered $275 for it and I took it.
Old 11-22-20, 05:19 AM
viperocco

Originally Posted by Crossthreaded88
This was my Giant Simple 7 and I wish I had never sold it. Lightweight easy to pedal and I guess stylish although that never mattered to me. I did end up getting an older one with twin top bars and I really like it better than the newer one. Kind of a beater so I don't have a picture of the twin bar.

Was offered $275 for it and I took it.
Nice, that's a good looking bike. Even though the twin bars a beater, would still like to see it. Thanks
Old 11-23-20, 10:17 PM
Crossthreaded88

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Your Simple is I believe the latest model and my Simple 7 was the middle model and the twin bar was the first model. I like them all but the first model felt the lightest to me. It is a head turner and I always get compliments when I hit the beach.

It's not really a beater I added the shock post and the road tires.

This was the one that started it all a first year single speed with slicks sold it to get the S7 what a cool bike it was.
Old 11-27-20, 10:53 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

I think my favorite Giant Simple is Viperocco's. I love the chain guard on crossthreaded88's bike. After the first series they put in the tapered top tube which is fairly sizeable. On Viperocco's they still taper the top tupe but more subtly. It looks like they might have shortened the top tube on the latest version. Tektro makes the 559 double pivot sidepull brake for really long and large tire installations. To measure your brake installation you need to measure from the center of the brake bolt mounting hole in the fork and rear brake/fender cross brace to the middle of the rim in millimeters. Brakes are sold using this distance to define the model you need. It is a tricky measurement since you must go around your tire. A measuring caliper will do the trick. Very clean Schwinn Speedster.
Old 11-28-20, 11:03 PM
tallbikeman

This is a very dirty Tektro 559 on a Chicago Schwinn Varsity stopping a 700c x 40mm rim and tire. You can see a lot of daylight above the tire so this might wrap around an even bigger tire.

View showing clearance on side of 700c x 40mm tire installation. This brake has a quick release and works just fine on my road/gravel bike.
Viperocco these dual pivot Tektro 559 brakes might work on your Giant Simple. They are not too expensive, have a nice quick release and work well. They use short travel brake levers. As you can see my fork limits my tire size but the brakes look to handle a lot more tire than I can mount.
Old 11-29-20, 05:07 AM
viperocco

Originally Posted by tallbikeman
Viperocco these dual pivot Tektro 559 brakes might work on your Giant Simple. They are not too expensive, have a nice quick release and work well. They use short travel brake levers. As you can see my fork limits my tire size but the brakes look to handle a lot more tire than I can mount.
Thanks for the info, will look into that.
Old 01-03-21, 03:23 PM
mikeschn

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
I have a Simple 3. It's a nice bike. Don't sell it.

Mike...

Last edited by mikeschn; 01-03-21 at 03:29 PM.
Likes For mikeschn:
Old 01-03-21, 03:59 PM
viperocco

Originally Posted by mikeschn
I have a Simple 3. It's a nice bike. Don't sell it.

Mike...

Noted...nice looking paint scheme too. Custom I take it?
Old 01-03-21, 04:03 PM
mikeschn

Nope, it came out of the showroom that way! They have a blue version of it too!

Mike...
Likes For mikeschn:
Old 01-03-21, 04:05 PM
mikeschn

I've since replaced the handlebars to be closer to the handle bars I had on my Schwinn Cruiser I had in the 1970's. I'll have to get a photo of that... oh, I've already changed my seat!

Mike...

Last edited by mikeschn; 01-03-21 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-03-21, 06:12 PM
viperocco

Originally Posted by mikeschn
I've since replaced the handlebars to be closer to the handle bars I had on my Schwinn Cruiser I had in the 1970's. I'll have to get a photo of that... oh, I've already changed my seat!

Mike...
Those are some good looking factory color schemes. Definitely get a pic with those handle bars for us. Thanks Mike
Old 01-08-22, 05:52 PM
JazzyA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight

Can anyone give me a weight on this simple cruiser i cant find anything anywhere.
Old 01-09-22, 10:59 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Weight is not important on a Cruiser type of bike. They are designed for cruising not racing or high speeds. Just pedal and enjoy the ride. Roger
Old 01-09-22, 02:10 PM
JazzyA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
Weight is not important on a Cruiser type of bike. They are designed for cruising not racing or high speeds. Just pedal and enjoy the ride. Roger
yes i realize this. I have 3 kids with bikes plus hubbys and i tow a trailer and i prefer a cruiser while camping trying to keep weight down on tongue where we will have 4/5 bikes my current cruiser is meaty and lifting up and down on the carrier multiple bikes gets your arms working out. So looking to lower my down to similar weights of my hubby and kids bikes(25-30lb) i know a few cruisers in that range but getting them in Canada isnt easy.
Old 01-17-22, 01:40 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by viperocco

that’s a sweet clean looking bike. It looks like it would be tough to replace for what’s out there.
Old 01-18-22, 08:29 AM
viperocco

that’s a sweet clean looking bike. It looks like it would be tough to replace for what’s out there.
Thanks! Yeah I think you're right on that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.