Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

A little light at the end of a tunnel!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-22, 02:53 AM
deaninkl

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour, Canyon Urban 8.0, Giant FCR 2018,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I wasn’t always big, well into my 30’s I was pretty much a normal weight for my height, but a love of Asian food, beer, expense account and a lot of business travel can be hard on ones girth.. a total lack of will power around food and beer doesn’t help one little bit. So, at 62 I found myself at 102.5kg (226lbs) and a BMS of just over 30… very high blood pressure and other niggly complaints.

On my computer I have weight loss charts, going back to 2007… proof that I have been thinking about it.. but they never lasted more than a few weeks and got left alone.

This year on Jan 1st I was send a picture taken the night before (New Years Eve) in a bar with friends, beer in hand and a size that even shocked me… something had to be done. I made a plan.. didn’t stick to it till the 3rd of Jan… still groggy from NYE… I told myself I would walk 10k steps every day for 2022 and see what happened. Of course, I had little hope that I'd actually do it, and also “of course” I haven’t yet. But the signs are promising.

My plan included cutting back on beer, eating more sensibly and cycling more… no rush for anything, but to slowly change a life style that had been built up over many years. I had some advantages, I no longer need the entertain for work, I work 3 miles from home, (convenient for walking..) and as I’m separated from family due to Taiwan’s “Zero Covid strategy” I have evenings and weekends free to walk and cycle as much as I want… so that’s just what I did.

I also started (restarted) 16-8 fasting. Also, convenient as I eat from 12noon to 8pm, which suites me fine.

Yes, you do need some discipline, but not a lot (I know as I’ve never had much).. but I have found that I love walking, enjoy the cycling more as it has an added purpose. I hardly ever drive my car, and I sold my scooter as I simply didn’t use it (bought another bicycle...).

The results so far are 102.5kg to 94kg in about 12 weeks... I’m way fitter, less hungry, no longer have indigestion, no longer have feet and hands swelling after walking 2 or 3km or cycling an hour… I’m down from a 38in to 36in pants, shirts that haven’t fitted for years now fit... oh and my wife in convinced I must have a girlfriend…!!! She was the one that called me fat!!

I know most of us on this site have weight issues (unless we are 7 foot tall), that’s partly why we are here. Believe me I am about as weak around food and beer as it gets, but I can only say this time my stars must have aligned, as I really feel I can do it, my first goal was to reach 95kg by the 19th of March, I did that. Ultimately, I want to get to 80kg by the end of 2022.

We are all different, what works for me may not work for others, our circumstances are all different... but I can only encourage any one that really wants to try to get out there, walk and get that weight off. Its hard at first but you get into your own routine. A little success keeps you going. Those plateaus are frustrating but encourage you to double down. Being now 63 definitely helps a little with will power... but in the end the benefits really get you wanting to lose even more.

I’ll keep you posted, I’m far from out of the woods, but a little light I can see.

Last edited by deaninkl; 03-26-22 at 02:42 PM.
Likes For deaninkl:
Old 03-26-22, 11:30 AM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 433 Posts
Congratulations! I think posting here and telling us about your journey is another sign that you might be determined enough this time to get this done.

I started participating in the monthly mileage threads - extra motivation to get out there and cycle more. Something to think about if you find yourself lagging.

Keep it up! You got this.

Mark
Likes For msalvetti:
Old 07-18-22, 03:08 AM
deaninkl

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour, Canyon Urban 8.0, Giant FCR 2018,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Well, the journey has continued, the loss has slowed down, but that I expected, now hovering on the 90kg mark, and officially low longer a clyde, but I like it here so won’t be going anywhere.

I plateaued at about 92.5kg for a month the started losing again, now plateaued again at about 90kg.. I have kept up the exercising, and doing a minimum of 10k steps a day. We have 35C days now so walking to walk no longer works, so I have to get up at 5am to get my steps in... all good as I'm an early bird.

The biggest difference I found is my general fitness level, I can run and jog now, which was difficult in January. I'm climbing hills on the bike that were pushed up last year, I’m a size down on all my cloths....

I am still aiming at 85kg by the end of 2022, and then go for 80kg sometime next year.

It has become fun and I love the challenge. It’s far from easy, and food is still a big problem for me.. it’s hard to pass a bakery... but I have at least almost killed fast food.

Last edited by deaninkl; 07-19-22 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-18-22, 05:39 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Congratulations that’s certainly an awesome job.

just less than two years ago I made a similar decision, there is definitely a commitment that needs to be made and stuck with, but it’s rewarding.