Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Tommasini Super Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-22, 10:46 AM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
Tommasini Super Prestige

So to make room for the frames and bikes i want to re-commission and use i have looked at what i gots that might appeal and bring a decent $$
this is my only Italian bike as i like Trek and Raleigh, not saying i wont get another italian but anyway here's the story,

I got this locally its a 57-58 cm i believe, it did not have an Air fork.. but an Italian chrome fork, when researching on line i found an old advertisement someone had posted whereby the frame and fork were offered separately,
the ad showed the fork alone being $400. so it made sense to me when the previous owner said that's how it came, (he was not the original owner).

so i wonder to myself if i can find an Air Fork.. i searched ebay and wouldn't you know it there was one for sale 1 inch threadless, but it was very expensive as much as some frames, seller wouldn't take an offer, i waited till the auction expired then re-appeared so I went back and bought it for the buy it now, anyway so what i have is a Super Prestige in the red splatter paint with a one inch thread less Air Fork,, at some point in its life it received a fairly extensive Chorus campy set up except for the rear mech which is Campy mirage, so it has brifters great brakes, the hubs are what look like c-record or newer, well anyway it rides fantastic is what i consider fast light and nimble, i did not go with threadless campy headset due to budget but it all works very well.

i would welcome some idea of value as i will likely offer it on here, i would prefer not to do flea bay, but i would ship the bike ..
I have a few different seat and pedal options which can affect value, but these are also rider specific items so could add or subtract value so consider a mid grade saddle as part of the
package pedals are negotiable items ..
here are some pictures let me know your thoughts:-
Thanks Gary

this was as i got the bike, i have changed the pedals seat and front fork to threadless

top tube with the old stem

mirage works great

straight off the auction

the paint is what i consider very good a couple of chips that i have touched up

the Air fork went on no problem i elected not to cut the fork but add shims for adjust-ability of height.

drive side
Old 05-12-22, 10:48 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary12000
S
this is my only Italian bike as i like Trek and Raleigh,

This is my only Ferrari. I normally prefer Chevy Corsica's and Ford Tempo's (Sorry - im kidding - i love Italian bikes, but do realize Trak and Raleigh made a few good ones too)

Very desirable frame -- while im sure the components work together nicely, (one of my favorite bikes has a very nice mix like that too ) - there are a lot of gear snobs who would say that you need a cohesive build kit to maximize value . so with that and the subdued paint (for a Tommasini -- but at least its the proper shade of red) - I'd guesstimate thats a $700 rig

You kind of lost me on the fork situation though --- You removed the original threaded Tommasini fork and installed another Tommasini threadless fork at a later date ?
Likes For DMC707:
Old 05-12-22, 02:20 PM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
This is my only Ferrari. I normally prefer Chevy Corsica's and Ford Tempo's (Sorry - im kidding - i love Italian bikes, but do realize Trak and Raleigh made a few good ones too) not heard of Trak? i'm not going to be too upset if it doesn't sell as it is a really nice bike, Italian... fiat-lancia-alfa- steel not the best... sometimes rusty before they were sold... my Lancia Beta Coupe Spyder that i got for a song was a lovely car to drive though--

Very desirable frame -- while im sure the components work together nicely, (one of my favorite bikes has a very nice mix like that too ) - there are a lot of gear snobs who would say that you need a cohesive build kit to maximize value . so with that and the subdued paint (for a Tommasini -- but at least its the proper shade of red) - I'd guesstimate thats a $700 rig -- Thanks for the insight, to a vintage guy i see your point.

You kind of lost me on the fork situation though --- You removed the original threaded Tommasini fork and installed another Tommasini threadless fork at a later date ?
-- On the fork situation, it came with an Italian unbranded chrome fork of some quality, which may have been original who knows i still have it, it did not come with an Air Fork, and as that Air Fork was a big deal in TS history i thought well why not if i can find one... so that how it came about..