Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2011 Scott Addict R2 sizing and S-Works E5

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-23-22, 10:37 AM
slideman67

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,
I'm lookin at two bikes for consideration to buy. I'm new to road biking, so need a little help from those of you with more experience.
The first bike is a 2011 Scott Addict R2. I'm not sure about whether it would fit me well - it's a 52. I'm 5'9 and have a pretty short inseam - 30". It seems like I'm kinda in the middle with that size. The owner wants $750, which seems like a good price, especially since he upgraded the rear mech and wheels with Dura Ace. I'm just a little worried it will be too small. I might have a chance to go throw a leg over, so that would help, but I'm not sure what to look for as far as sizing goes.
The other bike is a 2005 (I think) S-works e5 aerotech that's going for around $675. It's a 54, which all the sizing charts say is closer to my "size".
Other than sizing, which bike do you all think is a better deal, or just a better bike in general? I know that's subjective, but thought I would ask. I like the styling on both and both get great reviews online. Thanks for the insights! Glad to be part of the forum.
Old 05-23-22, 02:16 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The 52 won't fit...unless your name is Mark Cavendish and have a spare 140mm stem or thereabouts laying around.
Old 05-24-22, 09:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Can you get to them and try them out? Otherwise it'll be a guess. Your fit on the 52 cm Scott will be more aggressive than the 54 cm Specialized/S-works. But maybe not much. Some people like undersize bikes. And it all depends on a lot of stuff you haven't told us as well as things you can only find out for yourself.

I think the E5 has a seat post and seat tube clamp that you probably won't easily or cheaply replace if needed. The Scott doesn't seem to have anything on it that you can't replace easily with something today. Though with either, you'll have to worry about the groups compatibility with todays stuff which might require changing out more than just whatever is broken or breaks in the future. If the chain is worn to over 1/16", then you need to worry if the rings or cogs are also worn if there are many miles on the bikes.

While both bikes probably will fit 25 mm tires, many today are going wider. I am still on 25's, but I might try 28 mm tires when the current tires wear out.

Whichever you get, make certain it all works. In some areas its not uncommon for LBS's to do pre-purchase inspections for a reasonable cost. And also, the LBS can serve as a safe meeting place if this is a person to person sale.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-24-22 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-24-22, 02:56 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I'm 5'8" and have a 52cm 2010 Addict SL which I love (I had a 2009 Addict R4 which got stolen and I missed it so much I bought the 2010 when I found it used); I also previously had a Scott Speedster S20, also a 52. I found either a 52 or 54 works fine for me, I'm right on the line, and it was easier to find a 52cm. At 5'9" you might find it hard to get stretched out fully on the 52cm frame; you also might not want a super racy position. The price for the Addict sounds reasonable; I paid about twice that for my 2010 (with full SRAM Red and nice American Classic wheels). What sort of components are on the Specialized? Is one of them already set up closer to your desired fit (stem length, handlebar width, seat, etc), or will you tear the whole bike apart regardless and then set it up the way you want? If you know for example that you'll want a different handlebar, don't forget to figure that into the cost difference. Do you have any preference in frame material? Looks like the Specialized is aluminum; the Addict is carbon-fiber. If you don't have a preference in the frames, you might pick based on which one has a nicer wheelset. In terms of a test ride for fit, it's really about comfort. If you're bumping your knees on the handlebar when standing up, or you feel like you're curling your back rather than stretching out when in the drops, or the handlebar is too low with the seat at the right height, then it's probably too small. If there's a short stem on it already then you might be able to correct with a different stem but there's a limit to how much of a change you can make that way.