Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

"Hammer-like" noises while sprinting

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-27-22, 02:44 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 47 Posts

After a deep overhaul of headset and fork (carbon), the bike feels more rigid and the headset keeps tight, even at 4Nm stem torque. Bearings were changed (although not sure the old ones were worn out), bearing tapered seats (integrated, carbon) were reconstructed, stem was changed, shapes carved by the stem and compression ring in the carbon steerer were also reconstructed.
However, an old issue (2-3 years) remains: intermittent noises appear while standing up and sprinting, something like hits between some parts under tension. The noise sounds almost metallic sometimes, a little like a hammer hit.

Is it possible to come from the front wheel? It is a DT Swiss with 16 spokes, not crossed, probably highly tensioned. 38000 km and no hub maintenance to date, but rotation still feels smooth and “buttery” in hand, as it felt when it was new.

Thanks
Old 05-27-22, 03:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Are you certain it's not just something on the road?

This time of year where I'm at there is a lot of stuff from trees and bushes falling. I was quite surprised just a couple hours ago when I ran through a bunch of something that sounded like fire crackers going off.
Old 05-27-22, 03:12 PM
Redbullet

Definitely not. It appears only (and always) while standing up and sprinting. For the wheels it means higher load on front plus lateral load, due to leaning left-right.
Old 05-27-22, 03:36 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Loose wheel bearing?
Old 05-27-22, 03:39 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Throw a different front wheel on it and see if it stops.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-27-22, 03:51 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Is the crankset installed correctly and properly torqued to spec?
Old 05-27-22, 04:02 PM
Redbullet

I have no tools and no experience to check the crankset. I thought it lasts for lifetime... The bike was bought as new years ago.
Testing another wheel is an alternative, I'll try to find one.
Old 05-27-22, 05:47 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Is the crankset installed correctly and properly torqued to spec?
As well, could the crankarm ends be hitting the chainstays? Could be a result of an incorrect crank installation.
Old 05-27-22, 08:22 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Sounds like you really drop the hammer while sprinting! 😆
Seriously though, rim or disc brakes on this bike?
Old 05-27-22, 08:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
I have no tools and no experience to check the crankset. I thought it lasts for lifetime... The bike was bought as new years ago.
Testing another wheel is an alternative, I'll try to find one.
If the BB was intended to last a life time it may have died Once again I marvel that someone would consider a man made product a "life time" item. IMO this means no wear would happen, ever.
Loud clunking/hammering sounds can often be BB or rear axle bearings, surfaces badly pitted and likely lube long gone. Andy
Old 05-28-22, 04:50 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
As well, could the crankarm ends be hitting the chainstays? Could be a result of an incorrect crank installation.
I was thinking that it isn’t tightened, and or lubed properly. Tough to say without knowing the specific BB and crank.
Old 05-28-22, 08:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Bearings were changed (although not sure the old ones were worn out), bearing tapered seats (integrated, carbon) were reconstructed, stem was changed, shapes carved by the stem and compression ring in the carbon steerer were also reconstructed.
Not to be condescending or anything, but your description here sort of sounds bizarre. Are you the person that did this or are you relating 2nd or 3rd hand what someone told you was done to the bike?

If the headset isn't properly fitting in the head tube then you might be hearing or feeling it hammer on the head tube while you are putting out power.

Maybe some more past history explaining why the stuff you say had to be done to your headset and head tube might help or at least satisfy curiosity that things were done with good reason. I've never understood how people have headsets that get messed up that don't ride like they were in a BMX race.
Old 05-28-22, 08:55 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
Redbullet has at least two prior threads along this general topic. With no OP reference to these previous threads I can see why Iride01 might not fully understand the OP's current comments here. Not at all surprising. Andy

Headset questions – road bike, carbon - Bike Forums
Light carbon fork replacement (Road) - Bike Forums
Old 05-28-22, 09:24 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I always thought The Man With The Hammer was figurative, but OP can hear him.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-28-22, 12:17 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by Iride01
Not to be condescending or anything, but your description here sort of sounds bizarre. Are you the person that did this or are you relating 2nd or 3rd hand what someone told you was done to the bike?

If the headset isn't properly fitting in the head tube then you might be hearing or feeling it hammer on the head tube while you are putting out power.
I posted 2 threads regarding stem digging in carbon steerer and about a round shape on the steerer, done by the compression ring. Each shape resulted in aprox. 0.1-0.15mm reduction in steerer diameter. Then, the upper seat of headset bearing (carbon, integrated) partly lost its smooth tapered shape. I made the works because 2 mechanics in my area didn't want to assist. I understood their refusal later on: it was not quite a mechanical work. Maybe it was borderline mechanical at most, because it involved working with epoxy and carbon for reconstruction and then shimming the 1.1/8 steerer for a new 1.1/4 stem, for protection.

The noise appeared 1-2 years ago and it is the same now, so I guess it is not related to the headset and steerer, which were deeply overhauled / reshaped during the last weeks (with good results so far).

Last edited by Redbullet; 05-28-22 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-28-22, 12:49 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Loud clunking/hammering sounds can often be BB or rear axle bearings, surfaces badly pitted and likely lube long gone. Andy
Thanks!
The BB is SRAM GXP press fit, for road bike. I have just learned that I don't need special tools to remove the crank set on this, so I did it and I took a look inside. It looks like the bearings still hold some grease (I removed dust protections to look inside). But the right bearing feels a little "grinding" while rotating by hand, even after forced filling with new grease, as opposite to the left bearing which rotates very smooth.
It looks that from this point it is about experimenting... first, with another front wheel.
Then, with BB will be more difficult. I don't know whether the bearings inside press fit BB can be securely extracted with a special tool, not to mention that SRAM does not sell bearings for their BB. I only hope I'll not be forced to mess around with changing of the whole press fit BB on a carbon frame...
Old 05-28-22, 12:58 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I always thought The Man With The Hammer was figurative, but OP can hear him.
Really???
What about Thor?
Old 05-28-22, 08:02 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 33 Posts
check your chain wear, but more importantly check the wear on your front chainring. The noise is likely your chain briefly coming off the chainring because it's worn out.
Old 05-28-22, 10:47 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
I only hope I'll not be forced to mess around with changing of the whole press fit BB on a carbon frame...

You will eventually.
Old 05-29-22, 09:05 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Or chainstay flex? Either way, there should be clear visual evidence of interference.
(Hi, Ken!)