Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Low Budget Vintage Mountain Bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 02:17 PM
bigwooly

Bikes: '84 Trek 660, '86 Schwinn Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So my brother in law recruited me to help my sister get him a mountain bike for his birthday. Are there any certain vintage ones that would be good but may need wrenching. I'm not familiar with the older mountain bike world and am just looking for some tips on what ones to look for.

I have a thread over in the mountain bikes forum with a few options. I'm not really sure any of them classify as vintage. If anyone cares to take a look at the ones i've found. here's the link to that thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...dvice-needed**

Thanks,
Wooly
Old 08-05-12, 08:04 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The first step is to figure out the proper size. The bikes you have identified seem to be all over the place in size.
Old 08-05-12, 08:50 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
For a 30" inseam a 15-17" frame.
I'd almost do the search by component group, ie Deore, STX. There are a lot of Specialized and GT bikes, both excellent marques. IMHO, steel over aluminum for durability particularly when you want vintage.

Nice vintage Stumpjumper for $150,but the ad is old

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/bik/3072100254.html

Gary Fisher Wahoo

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/bik/3168773187.html

GT Outpost

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bik/3144278110.html
Old 08-05-12, 09:03 PM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All used mountain bikes are purple. Once you accept this, things get easier. Well, except the ones that are green.

As far as a *good* one, you will spend barely more for something pretty nice than on total junk, so don't cheap yourself out. A Schwinn Impact, High Sierra or Cimarron would be choice, esp. The Cimarron. Oh, and the Moab models, ery well thought of at the time. Bianchi Grizzly, ditto. Some of the early Ritchey, Gary Fischer, and Kieth Bontrager units are still floating around, and those are some pretty sweet frames with nice kit. I wish I knew more about this stuff, there's a lot of it out there.
Old 08-05-12, 09:17 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Almost forgot, if you get a vintage bike with Shimano Altus brakes, you can count on at least 1 or more of the gray plastic spring retainers on the cantilever to be broken. As no spare parts are available, you'll need to spend 10-$18 per axle for a new brake, but at least the new ones come with new pads too.

Last edited by oddjob2; 08-05-12 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-06-12, 07:32 AM
bigwooly

Bikes: '84 Trek 660, '86 Schwinn Sprint

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the responses. Now to narrow down choices and get the sister to fork over the dough for the bike so i can do my job of getting it safe to be ridden :-)
Old 08-06-12, 08:48 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
My basic tip on vintage rigid frame mtbs: aim high, real high. the difference between a low end brand bike, say a Trek 800, and a high end bike, say a Trek 950, might be $50. For that extra $50, you get much better frame, much better components, much better wheels, lighter weight, on and on. That $50 difference might buy you a bike that originally sold for $900, versus one that originally sold for $250.

On the Schwinn Impact, I had one, I was not impressed. Now the Cimaron and High Sierra models are nice.

In a large market like Atlanta, surf the C/L ads that are 2, 3 or even more pages from the front. Buyers are lazy, and often don't look past the front page. While many of the old listings are sold, some aren't. I've found a few deals over the years on the 5th or 6th page. Seller didn't understand why he wasn't getting any response....

I like that Stumpjumper. Probably gone, but maybe not. Worth a check!
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 08-06-12 at 08:54 AM.