Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

lightweight travel bicycle

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-11, 11:58 AM
thatsut
If it dont fold frankly..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for a lightweight travel bicycle. just wanted to check i haven't missed anything.

I will be using the bike for exploring leightweight touring countryside/wilderness and will be flying around countries and thus dont want to pay oversize and overweight baggage charges. frame and wheels has to fit in 26" wide suitcase, mtb wheels

options considerd:

airnimal rhino 1000 10kg
DAhon flo £1500 11kg
sling shot (frame) 1400 10kg frame sus
montague (frame)1000 10kg
ibis tranny 2000 9kg lightest
lapierre passport 1600 12kg
hortst link mtb 1200 10kg
carbon frame 900 9kg cheapest
carbon rear sus frame 1600 10kg frame sus
note: my builds would be super simple (no rear break and no front derailer carbon fork etc)

The options that im most seriously considering is below; because their weight, price and ability to pack, does anyone have experience with them?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260769985460

https://www.dhgate.com/hot-mountain-b...8edbf30bf.html

this option was inspired by https://www.gramslightbikes.com/2009/...with-bike.html

thx
Old 05-08-11, 12:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Get a Bike Friday. https://www.bikefriday.com/
Old 05-08-11, 12:58 PM
thatsut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont like the ride of 20" wheel on bad roads and off road. and sand and mud. if they did a 26" version i would but the one i saw before called a "chocolate friday".

also i get funny looks one small wheels when touring (something that also happens to others) in places outside london or NY but then again they wouldnt look at you if you where naked cover in ketchup and on fire...
Old 05-08-11, 01:05 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
The Flo would be a good choice, even comes with the Airporter case. https://www.bikefold.com/dahon_speed_flo_bike.htm
Old 05-08-11, 01:21 PM
thatsut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The flo would be Very nice but 2800 bucks it seems alot, additionally im in africa so the shipping is extra
Old 05-08-11, 01:25 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
What is your price range?

What is your preferred weight?

How urban, suburban, rural, civilized, remote of places do you plan to travel?

How often do you reasonably expect fly with the bike?

Are you riding on paved roads? Packed earth? Gravel? Off-road?

Are you carrying luggage with you on the bike? Camping? Stopping in hotels?
Old 05-08-11, 03:40 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
BMX bikes have 20" wheels and can haul ass in the dirt...just sayin'...

I really don't care what the bike looks like as long as it performs the way I expect. I have several small wheeled bikes and have no problem riding a full range of terrain.

For extensive air travel and a strong bike I would go Bike Friday over anything else. For multimodal travel but a bit more fragile the Brompton would be my solid second choice.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-08-11, 04:06 PM
robsta

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a montague paratrooper.
To pack any bike with 26 inch wheels will always be a struggle. It can be done but I have found needs a fair amount of dismantling rather than simple folding.
To pack my paratrooper into an airline legal suitcase requires:
Both wheels off and tyres and tubes off or flat.
Remove forks and handlebars.
Remove top tube from rear triangle.
To make it much easier I use 24 inch wheels from a junior mtb supermarket bike.
I appreciate you do not want a bike with 20 inch wheels but my Xootr Swift is great. Handles well, good standard equipment and packs fairly easily into a suitcase.
All the best and I hope you end up with a satisfactory choice.
Rob
Old 05-08-11, 04:36 PM
Dynocoaster 

How about the Dahon Jetstream?
Old 05-08-11, 04:52 PM
thatsut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the thoughtful questions

What is your price range? 1000-1500 £ im happy to spend more if i know its senible and not just doing it for te sake but happy to spend less its its suffcient quality

What is your preferred weight? sub 10kg to allow for all my camping gear etc and all my worldly possesions

How urban, suburban, rural, civilized, remote of places do you plan to travel? rural villages with no paved roads beautiful

How often do you reasonably expect fly with the bike? propably two time a year + however i would like a bike that can be made to a more manable size as i have found it very useful at time

Are you riding on paved roads? Packed earth? Gravel? Off-road? sand clay mud potholes

Are you carrying luggage with you on the bike? Camping? Stopping in hotels? yes tent sleeping bag clothes basc stuff (no cooking) i travel ligh and tie the things to the bike with water and caryy a few things in a backpack

Originally Posted by wahoonc
BMX bikes have 20" wheels and can haul ass in the dirt...just sayin'...

I really don't care what the bike looks like as long as it performs the way I expect. I have several small wheeled bikes and have no problem riding a full range of terrain.

For extensive air travel and a strong bike I would go Bike Friday over anything else. For multimodal travel but a bit more fragile the Brompton would be my solid second choice.

Aaron
aarron thanks i was a devote folder for many years until i got reintroduced to a mtb on a mtb trail and then every folding bike including dahons bromptons(especially) bike fridays mezzos failed in comparisont to the speed and smoothness, however the i do not want to talk about wheels as i know its a touchy subject around here the closest i get to 20" is the rhino due its suspension but even then the frame i think is to small for me Im 6"2 and 90kg ( of mostly muscle and some pancakes)

Originally Posted by robsta
I have a montague paratrooper.
To pack any bike with 26 inch wheels will always be a struggle. It can be done but I have found needs a fair amount of dismantling rather than simple folding.
To pack my paratrooper into an airline legal suitcase requires:
Both wheels off and tyres and tubes off or flat.
Remove forks and handlebars.
Remove top tube from rear triangle.
To make it much easier I use 24 inch wheels from a junior mtb supermarket bike.
I appreciate you do not want a bike with 20 inch wheels but my Xootr Swift is great. Handles well, good standard equipment and packs fairly easily into a suitcase.
All the best and I hope you end up with a satisfactory choice.
Rob
cheers rob its a smart idea to use the 24's but i wouldnt be able to get the tyres where i am, I am in no rush so will wait to i find the optimium choice, so happy for all the advice i can get

Originally Posted by Dynocoaster
How about the Dahon Jetstream?
thanks agin for the suggestion, but im not sure how durable these are? have have you used on of these? but looking at the price 2000£ i could get a better quality bike in terms of performance durabilty weight for less, a bike which folds quickly into a small package it not my priotity. but they sure do look purdy .

Last edited by thatsut; 05-08-11 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-08-11, 04:59 PM
lucille

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We toured through France in our Bike Fridays, and didn't get funny looks. Some people were interested in the bikes, but most didn't pay attention. Besides, who cares?
The bikes performed well, also on some off road trails (Canal du Midi). And loaded up with front and back panniers it was more stable than I expected.

The suitcase a New World Tourist fits in is a 31" one, but it still a regulation size.
I wouldn't say it's light though, so it may not be for you. It's a really great bike, couldn't be happier with it.
Old 05-08-11, 05:06 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You could take something like a Montague and replace everything on the frame with light weight stuff to get below 10kg. AFAIK there are no ready-to-buy products below 10kg in 26" wheels.
Old 05-08-11, 05:22 PM
Dynocoaster 

https://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec022583 12.3 KG but has to be picked up at the London airport.

26.5 Lbs https://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec027628
Old 05-08-11, 05:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Craig Calfee can build you an S&S break down carbon fiber frameset..
there are Titanium S&S connectors too , to have a custom Titanium travel bike..
Old 05-08-11, 06:03 PM
thatsut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lucille i glad your happy with your bike .

jur that is certain a option im considering

dynocoaster you know what they make ALOT of sence my only concern is the lockjaw mechanicm is not offroad warrentied and ive heard it comes looses or sweakes etc

or if i was to perchase the montage i would build it up my sefl which ive calculated o could do to just over ten

the calfee arve intresting and i didnt know that but the ibis tranny would likely be cheaper evevn at 1200 and lighter and its been design with the disassembly in mind unlike the cf road bike

but im happy to consider all the options especially ones i have not yet thought of so thank everyone so far
Old 05-09-11, 10:50 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hmmm ... I guess that most S&S Coupled bikes are out of the price range. Although I can't remember what the dollar to pound conversion is today. Dollar is weak ... so perhaps you can go for one of these ...

https://www.ecovelo.info/2010/09/23/2...ly-lht-deluxe/

... only in 26" wheels.
Old 05-09-11, 03:40 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I just got back from a week-long bike tour in Europe -- paths, roads, and gravel. We had a great time on rented bikes but it got me thinking about bringing my own bike next time. I'm pretty big (6-3, 235) and that's at the upper limit of most folding bikes. I'd sure prefer a 26 inch wheel and the Montague Paratrooper has really piqued my interest-- strong and cheap. I'd sure like to get it as a frame only and build it up myself. I'm not sure I need a suspension fork and I'd sure like to customize the gearing. I'll have to keep my eyes open!
Old 05-09-11, 04:17 PM
pibach

Bikes: Dahon Mu Sport & Mu Ex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a thread in mountain bike forum regarding that topic, check it out, lots of pics, text is German though:
https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=358952
Old 05-09-11, 06:03 PM
thatsut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike update
dahon flo £1780(from america plus shipping) for the buike 11.5 kg not really sure its worth it at that price
thanks for the link pibach !!!! could you please translate some of the frames they refernece (at least i think the reference frames, they could be talking about pancakes for all i know

https://www.fubi.com/-i-13.html very intresting and a do apprciate good ideas, but not suitable for me i think i.e durability and fungly

https://www.schauff.de/schauff/index.php?language=e&action=fahrrad&typ=folding+bike&jahr=2011&id=847 just no...

helius-cc https://2009.nicolai.net/products/e-frames/e-helius-cc-trv.html 2.8 kg and 2K no

however the rob engish link... Drool!... beautiful! please please people take a look at his website he has some very nice work. https://www.englishcycles.com (go to custom bik gallery, then check out the 26" sepererable) if i can afford to i like to support his work! its obvious he has talent and craft, something i feel is worth geeting behind in this day and age. ill have to see about price, hopefully he needs a house design/building so we can work something out

reverboram i hope this thead will be of help in suggesting all the possible options, it certainly has been of help to me so far

headwind thanks but https://www.ravellobikes.com/travel%20road%20bikes.htm only do road im looking for a ATB
Old 05-09-11, 06:39 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Ravello Bikes lists a 26" wheeled travel bike on their bike price page, and I think there are some mountain bikes on their photo gallery. Good luck with your search, anyway. What countries are you heading for?
Old 05-10-11, 05:51 AM
thatsut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
headwind, thanks that would well be an option im willing to wait however to i find something im completely happy with. I know that the mtb hardtail is pretty much a go anywhere tourer and good bike having it fold makes it even more practical. so i looking for a bike that will be useful until i can only tour by wheelchair hopefully bionic legs will be invented by the and be riding at 70mph !!

anyway Im volunteering in gambia i'd like to explore africa quiet possibly down to mozambique when the time is right.
Old 05-10-11, 05:59 AM
Dynocoaster 

https://zinncycles.pinnaclecart.com/i...parent=20&pg=1
Old 05-10-11, 06:22 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
there is that german full sized folder. The front wheel is removed then the rear wheel fits between the twin down tubes when folding. Any one remember its name? Berns? It was in a thread called something like "maxium width for a folder", where a potential designer was enquiring about a similar design but I pointed this design out to him.

Last edited by bhkyte; 05-10-11 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-10-11, 09:28 AM
thatsut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
now here is an idea ebay carbon frame 180£ plus ravello connnection 250£ so lets say 500£ for total including shipping theres an idea for someone its light 1.5kg and cheap but risky you certainly would have unique bike. :? not durable enough for me i think. i have sent them a warrenty information request. and i have found that the imported ibis for us if far cheaper due to exchange rates FYI. I am just trying to find that balance between cost and weight and practicality i.e a frame with costs a grand 1K extra for a 1Kg saving is not intelligent for me.
Old 05-10-11, 10:26 AM
Clownbike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As you seem to be in the UK, check out the Birdy. Folds small, light weight, and full suspension. Very stiff frame and handles uneven terrain well. Seems to be popular for touring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.