Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Repair Puncture / Spare Tube

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-17, 04:26 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts

This may seem like a bit of a daft question to the more hardened cyclists ...

I've been a leisure cyclist for many years and have always just carried a puncture repair kit but as I've really gotten into cycling and have joined forums I see more and more reference to carrying a spare inner tube which I've never done before.

What's the main reason, is it in case the inner splits so badly you can't repair it or is it just quicker / easier to swap the inner tube and worry about the repair when you get home???

What really got me thinking about it is I've started doing quite a lot of night cycling with decent torches but it'd really (couldn't see a censored emoji) if I got a puncture on a freezing night miles from anywhere ... you know you wouldn't be able to find the hole in the dark for hours and get frozen fingers .... all of a sudden you start thinking maybe a quick inner change may be a better option **********????

Interested to hear more experienced cyclists main reason for carrying a spare between the 2 options I've given or any other main reasons????
Old 12-20-17, 04:46 PM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
........ is it just quicker / easier to swap the inner tube and worry about the repair when you get home???
I'm just a leisure cyclist as well, and changing a tube is more leisurely of those two options!
Old 12-20-17, 04:48 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I carry a spare tube plus a puncture kit. It's for all of the reasons that you surmise.
Old 12-20-17, 04:55 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts

I've been a leisure cyclist for many years and have always just carried a puncture repair kit but as I've really gotten into cycling and have joined forums I see more and more reference to carrying a spare inner tube which I've never done before.

What's the main reason, is it in case the inner splits so badly you can't repair it or is it just quicker / easier to swap the inner tube and worry about the repair when you get home???

What really got me thinking about it is I've started doing quite a lot of night cycling with decent torches but it'd really (couldn't see a censored emoji) if I got a puncture on a freezing night miles from anywhere ... you know you wouldn't be able to find the hole in the dark for hours and get frozen fingers .... all of a sudden you start thinking maybe a quick inner change may be a better option **********????

Interested to hear more experienced cyclists main reason for carrying a spare between the 2 options I've given or any other main reasons????
Having a spare tube saves you from needing to open the tube of glue unless worse comes to worst. Finding out that your tube of glue has dried out from being opened too long is a real bummer when you need it.

I save up punctured tubes at home, and patch them in batches.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-20-17, 05:02 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Cheers for the quick responses ..... Me thinks me needs to stick inner tubes on my Xmas list but is it too late to get the list to Santa
Old 12-20-17, 05:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yep. I always carry a spare tube and a patch kit. I also carry a CO2 cartridge and a pump. First flat gets a new tube and CO2. I can usually swap out the tube and be on my way in under 5 minutes. Second and subsequent flats (yes, unfortunately that's happened) get a patch and the pump.

#beltandsuspenders
Old 12-20-17, 05:13 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
That and carrying a spare tube can save you from a embarrassing call of shame.

I had a tube that the locknut and a bit of stem had broken off and since on a presta they work fine as long as some pressure is maintained so it stayed on the front wheel for months.

Then I had a puncture, patched it and hit it with the CO2 inflator.

Of course as soon as it was disconnected the tire went immediately flat with the valve core blown irretrievably into the bowels of the tube. (insert censored emoji here)

Dried glue, big rips, stupid operator, &#!t happens.

Have a spare unpatched tube!
Old 12-20-17, 05:32 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
,,,,,,,At least one,,,,,
Old 12-20-17, 06:09 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
not all tube damage can be patched

& after 2 flats back to back about 4 miles apart, it's good to have redundant options. 'specially in the winter about an hour before dusk

Old 12-20-17, 06:11 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by caloso
I can usually swap out the tube and be on my way in under 5 minutes
Old 12-20-17, 09:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
With practice you can easily get in under that.

I generally always carry a spare tube and patches with glue, when I open my glue I make sure to get a replacement tube or replace it in the kit. However most of my patching (which is minimal) happens at home when I can take my time and relax and let things dry properly. A patch can easily fail and when you are having to do more work to save a busted tube then just replacing it, it can be silly especially on the road. I don't get a ton of flats but mainly that is due to good tires and proper inflation and certainly being careful as a I ride. Jumping curbs and not pumping your tires and using cheap tires are a great recipe for potential flats.
Old 12-20-17, 09:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I live in goat head country. I’ve had a lot of practice.
Old 12-20-17, 10:09 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
I carry at least two tubes, often three. I hate patching tubes on the road, but I hate having no options in case I hit Puncture City even less. (I dislike patching tubes slightly less at home.) I also carry a pump and CO2 (again, 2 or 3 cartridges). When I puncture, I replaces the tube, use the pump to get the tire up to 30 or 40 psi, then use a CO2 cartridge to finish it off. But I always have patch and pump capability, too, just in case.

You don't have to take to my extremes, but I do think changing tubes beats the heck out of patching, at least in the middle of a ride.
Old 12-20-17, 10:25 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts

You're a leisure cyclist and are willing to walk home in the dark because you couldn't successfully patch your tube? I'm not a leisure cyclist and I don't consider that either leisurely or OK. (I know, you have probably just been going under the "it hasn't happened yet". But ride long enough and many of the "yets" do happen.

Seriously - I carry two tubes I trust in a sock (to protect them from my tools), a patch kit, two tire irons and several (at least 4) dollar bills in my wallet. The bills make very good casing patches to get you home. I needed 5 once for a long cut in the casing.

Advantages? Peace of mind. Redundancy. Ruined tubes aren't catastrophe. I am in a better place to help others. Now, I do patch my tubes if I can and always look for the cause. (I ride roads and tires subject to those tiny steel wire shards from truck tires that hide in casings and cause flat after flat until removed. Easiest way to identify and find them is to note when patches overlap or are equal distance from the valve. See those signature pair of patches? OK, there's a problem exactly that far from the valve. I have to find it. And when you know it's there, 9 out of 10 times you find it.

Edit: I only use good pumps and put one on each bike. They pump to full pressure (and work very well to top off pressure anytime)/

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 12-20-17 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-20-17, 10:40 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Far quicker to swap and fix later. As someone said above, the tubes of glue can dry out, so I'll generally wait until I have a couple tubes that I can patch in one go.

Plus it is easier to have the proper gear attached in a saddle bag for each bike than remembering to grab the stuff to shove in a jersey everytime I go out.
Old 12-20-17, 10:45 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I learned early on that patches cannot always repair a puncture. I had one in 1972 that was too close to the valve to successfully hold. A spare tube makes on the road repairs much easier, a patch kit provides extra insurance. These days I usually carry 2 inner tubes and a small patch kit. It really helps, I haven't had a flat out on the road for almost 3 years
Old 12-21-17, 12:19 AM
robsta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not everybody likes them but I haven’t had a puncture with my Schwalbe Marathons in the 7-8 years I’ve been using them. Worth checking out.
Attached Images
Old 12-21-17, 12:54 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
..... Interested to hear more experienced cyclists main reason for carrying a spare between the 2 options I've given or any other main reasons????
I carry both a (scab) patch kit... as well as a new tube. I carry the new tube in a corn starch dusted sandwich bag... inside of a gallon Ziploc bag. When I do (rarely) have a flat... I replace the damage tube with the new tube and place the old tube in the gallon Ziploc bag. That way I can stuff the old tube in a jersey pocket and not get too dirty.

Say I was to have a 2nd flat (like the other tire).... I then have an option of which tube to repair. Otherwise... instead of scab patching "on the road" I can do a better patch job back at the work bench.

P.S. I carry two CO2 cartridges too!
Old 12-21-17, 01:13 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
As already stated, replacing a tube is a faster/easier roadside fix than patching it - assuming it's a flat that can be repaired, which isn't always the case.
I don't carry glue b/c the tendency to dry out. I carry two tubes and self-adhesive patches as a last resort.

For evening rides away from street lights I also carry a headlamp.
With battery-operated lights, you can usually unclip them to use as a work light, but with dyno lights it gets really awkward....
Old 12-21-17, 07:45 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
carry the new tube in a corn starch dusted sandwich bag... inside of a gallon Ziploc bag
never heard that before. what benefit does that offer?
Old 12-21-17, 07:48 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by caloso
I live in goat head country. I’ve had a lot of practice.
yikes, OK. thought I was good w a consistent 15 minutes. maybe I'm just not motivated enough. found another flat photo, this one needing a new roll of rim tape

Old 12-21-17, 08:13 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
Convenience mostly but also if you have a major blowout that can't be repaired with a patch a new tube is your way home. I carry two tubes when I go on rides over 40 miles. I carry a pack of Park self-sticky patches in my seat bag also.

It's funny though. I can go six months without a flat and then get 3 or 4 in one week.
Old 12-21-17, 08:24 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
What about a tire? If your rims are folder capable and depending on how far from home your willing to walk, or make "the call". I occasionally still ride on straight walled rims though. YMMV.
Old 12-21-17, 08:43 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I get a ton of flats, I go through phases where I've got 5 flats in 300 miles. Even two flats on one 30 mile ride. I used to just carry skabs until I ran over a nail that put like 10 holes in my tube. Now I carry skabs and a tube. I will skab first if it's not hard to find the hole. For my tubeless MTB I still carry a tube and skabs. I also wrapped about 8 rounds of gorrila tape around my pump body just incase I need to fix a tire or something.

Last edited by u235; 12-21-17 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-21-17, 08:57 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I carry both a (scab) patch kit... as well as a new tube. I carry the new tube in a corn starch dusted sandwich bag... inside of a gallon Ziploc bag. When I do (rarely) have a flat... I replace the damage tube with the new tube and place the old tube in the gallon Ziploc bag. That way I can stuff the old tube in a jersey pocket and not get too dirty.

Say I was to have a 2nd flat (like the other tire).... I then have an option of which tube to repair. Otherwise... instead of scab patching "on the road" I can do a better patch job back at the work bench.

P.S. I carry two CO2 cartridges too!

This minus the cornstarch, plus one more Co2 cartridge. Two for me, and one to donate to those less equipped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.