Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

RAGBRAI? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

RAGBRAI? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Old 10-23-19, 06:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals

Zacster, the difference between your commute and RAGBRAI is that nobody deliberately goes to New York to ride their bike.
The annual 5 Boroughs Ride attracts people from outside the state. Total participants in the 10s of thousands. Did it once BITD. Also not my cup of tea.
Old 10-23-19, 06:35 AM
indyfabz

People who like RAGBRAI don't talk about the ride, they talk about the crowds. I function best in small groups. Standing in line for an hour for dinner isn't my idea of fun.
I have also heard them talk about the partiers.

I am with you. I even got sick of the crowds at Cycle Oregon, which has "only" about 2,000 people every year and is extremely well supported.

One interesting thing I picked up on when I did my first CO in 2002 is how short many people became with each other as the tour wore on. It was a very difficult route. We crossed the entire state in 6 days. The 4th day the only route was a century, and it was hot. The 3rd day I did the 114 mile option. In the end I averaged around 90 miles/day. The last two days (after the rest day), people would get into little spats over things like a tent being pitched too close or being passed without warning. The latter happened to me another year after a hard 5th day of a difficult edition. (If you wanted a rest day you had to skip Crater Lake.) I was setting up my tent when a guy tossed his down very close to mine. I mentioned politely that my fly was going to occupy that space. He copped an attitude. Interesting thing was that there was still plenty of space in the camping area. He had no need to try to put his tent where he had planned to. Tired people often don't make the best decisions.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-23-19, 07:09 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Yeah, it's all tents, unless you can find a 'host' family in every town. I'd be a poor candidate for that. I was really grouchy by the end of each day. Which is why I'm not going back. Cycling is supposed to be fun. People who like RAGBRAI don't talk about the ride, they talk about the crowds. I function best in small groups. Standing in line for an hour for dinner isn't my idea of fun.
I obviously won't move your needle on this, and that's not my goal. One of the comments I made at one point following my RAGBRAI, was that I found it surprising how easy it was with 10,000 + riders to find my own little peaceful bubble with just a few other people. When I reflect back on the waits, I can't recall waiting for food for very long at all. Waiting for a shower on the other hand... Save for the spectacle of the crowds at the ride out in the morning, when I think about the experience I am seeing myself in small groups, not lost in a crowd.

From a riding standpoint, I rode my first century. At about the 60 mile mark, I was wondering how I would finish it. Food at about the 75 mile mark proved to be just what I needed. I don't recall being passed by anyone in the last 25 miles of that ride. I found a groove I had never found before. Me and a much younger rider took turns drafting for a while and were really moving out.

For me, it was more about the people and the bicycles than the ride, but the ride is obviously integral in the experience. But yeah, when you do a "ride" with 10,000+ other riders, there will be much more to the experience than the ride. While some of the people I hung out with were serious riders who essentially raced, events like this are social events at their core. If you want to ride, you don't need thousands of people to do it.
Old 10-23-19, 07:12 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Tired people often don't make the best decisions.
That is a golden nugget right there. I have thought in the past about launching this topic in A&S. I can be a pretty alert and sharp minded rider. When I am tired, not so much.
Old 10-23-19, 07:39 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I can be a pretty alert and sharp minded rider. When I am tired, not so much.
I have seen an inordinate number of accidents on organized centuries during the final 15 or so miles as fatigue sets in to those not accustomed to such distances.

When I was riding home from ME after crossing the country I had to hole up in a motel thanks to Hurricane Floyd. To make up ground and get where I wanted to be in a couple of days I did a very long day. During what I thought would be the last leg of that day's route I was on an MUP. I started drifting off into the bushes. I was so tired that I knew what was happening, but my mind wouldn't tell my body what to do to correct things in time. I ended up falling over. When I righted myself I smacked myself in the face a few times to stimulate myself. To add insult to injury, when I reached my planned campground it was closed due to flooding. Ended up having to ride another 12 or so miles to a hotel.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-23-19, 07:47 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yuck, that crowds make that sound less fun. Not for me, I guess.
Old 11-10-19, 10:52 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
RAGBRAI announced yesterday that 2020 registration opens on Monday, Nov 11.

We're just a bunch of old cycling buddies who've moved to different parts of the US and don't get to see each other much anymore.
We decided earlier this year to ride RAGBRAI in 2020, all of us for the first time, as a reunion of sorts.
We've read the reports and stories about the former organizers bugging out, and we're sticking with RAGBRAI.
We're also aware of the crowds, the more relaxed nature of this event, and the mixed experience of the riders, and we're ready to embrace a different way of riding for a week.
Expecting a fun, safe time.
Long live RAGBRAI.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 11-19-19, 01:55 PM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
As it stands we now have two week long cross state rides in July in Iowa. One from east to west called Iowa’s Ride and the following week from west to east called RAGBRAI ( Registered Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa ) started in 1973. I am going to try to ride both of them. Things may change on these rides as it already has at least once. It was a big uproar in Iowa when the RAGBRAI bunch quit the Register and started their own ride. Now that the upstart ride changed their date and route direction I think things have settled down a little. Long live RAGBRAI!!
Old 02-28-20, 02:48 AM
Gardenburn
Satanic Mechanic

Bikes: Cross-muter, Soma Saga, Fat Bike, Gravel Gobbler, vintage Italian folder, '84 Trek 500 for sale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's a blast. Especially if you enjoy craft beer. I've gone a few times, it's just a party on bikes and everyone is happy. Best bike parade in the US! Hit me up if you're attending and live near Chicago!
Old 04-21-20, 03:47 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Cancelled

iowas ride isn’t cancelled yet....
Old 04-25-20, 12:26 AM
Hootowl

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RAGBRAI 2020 cancelled

Originally Posted by Knet
It's almost that time again, anyone going?

Other than me...... hate to be the only one out there.....
Sorry to dash your hopes but RAGBRAI for 2020 has been cancelled. Of course will all know why, covid 19. Pretty sure the other ride been cancelled too. That’s the one thAt the old Register staffers started.Can’t remember what they called it off hand.
Old 04-25-20, 06:46 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Originally Posted by Hootowl
Sorry to dash your hopes but RAGBRAI for 2020 has been cancelled. Of course will all know why, covid 19. Pretty sure the other ride been cancelled too. That’s the one thAt the old Register staffers started.Can’t remember what they called it off hand.
Iowa’s Ride has not officially been cancelled yet.

EDIT: canceled

Last edited by Toadmeister; 01-31-21 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-30-21, 09:23 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
RAGBRAI routes for 2021 was announced today. Anyone participating? I'm going to do a couple of days maybe the entire week? Not sure yet.

https://ragbrai.com/2021-route-maps/
Old 01-31-21, 07:25 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
RAGBRAI routes for 2021 was announced today. Anyone participating? I'm going to do a couple of days maybe the entire week? Not sure yet.

https://ragbrai.com/2021-route-maps/
I plan on doing the whole week this year.
Old 01-31-21, 12:01 PM
Pugs2xLove

Originally Posted by Toadmeister
I plan on doing the whole week this year.
Are you in Iowa? Des Moines here. It will be my first RAGRAI experience. Trying to plan the trip and looking into booking a ticket for a charter bus. Haven't decided but I think I'm doing the whole week.
Old 01-31-21, 12:08 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
Are you in Iowa? Des Moines here. It will be my first RAGRAI experience. Trying to plan the trip and looking into booking a ticket for a charter bus. Haven't decided but I think I'm doing the whole week.
Yeah I'm over by Dubuque. Have done RAGBRAI for about 15 years but usually just 2-3 days. Plan to go all week this year, I am registered. My wife is also but she isn't a strong rider.

Previous years when I've gone 1-3 days with a couple friends we would carpool and SAG to make it all work out logistically. Sometimes we had a helpful spouse or friend shuttle us too and stay at their place. Hot showers and cool basements can be a godsend.

I'm considering using a outfitter service like Pork Belly venturers this year. There is also the Dubuque Bike club who runs a bus. Check your local bike clubs for something similar.
Old 01-31-21, 12:26 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 755 Posts
Any speculation about attendance? Up {lots of pent up cabin fever) or down (still largely locked down)?
Old 01-31-21, 12:40 PM
Pugs2xLove

Originally Posted by smontanaro
Any speculation about attendance? Up {lots of pent up cabin fever) or down (still largely locked down)?
Iowa isn't strict on lockdowns like other bigger states in Commiefornia, Illinois, Michigan, etc....... I would imagine attendance will still be high (maybe not as high in this odd time) but the event will still be packed especially since last year's event was cancelled and people are itching to get out (cabin fever). Only time will tell now that the vaccine is out.
Old 01-31-21, 07:04 PM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Hopefully things will be better by July.

Mason City
Dave
Old 02-03-21, 08:54 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The former organizers of Ragbrai were offended by a news article that the Register published and decided that the solution was to seek to damage Ragbrai by running a competing event the same week.

I'm not defending the article that made them mad but I know I wouldn't give one plugged nickel to the former organizers of Ragbrai or their ride. They are seeking to damage a fine state institution that has been in existence since 1973 because they disagreed with a newspaper article published by the Register.
There was a lot more to it than just not agreeing with the article. True, the article dug up dirt on the kid, basically he re-posted a racially-insensitive joke when he was younger. It was later discovered that the reporter doing the digging was guilty of the same thing. As the PR mess snowballed, and people were questioning why they felt the need to find fault with someone who'd donated $3 million to charity, there were calls for a boycott of RAGBRAI, which had nothing to do with it up until that point. RAGBRAI organizers posted support of the kid, and The Register tried to control the narrative. The organizers were basically told to defend The Register or lose funding. So the organizers quit.

Having done RAGBRAI once, I can say that being big is the only arguably positive thing about the ride. The weather is awful, roads are so-so, and the organizers provide almost no direct support aside from routing and arranging stop-over towns. There are hundreds of rides across the country that do a better job of providing a great riding experience.
Old 05-10-21, 12:23 PM
Micaelb

Bikes: Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Raleigh Sports, Motobecane Super Mirage

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm planning on riding, waiting for my official number now. It's been a weird rollout so far!
Old 05-10-21, 06:36 PM
Pugs2xLove

Originally Posted by Micaelb
I'm planning on riding, waiting for my official number now. It's been a weird rollout so far!
Same here. Are you doing the weeklong ride or a couple of days? I'm doing the full week. My first RAGBRAI experience. So excited.......
Old 05-11-21, 12:33 PM
Micaelb

Bikes: Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Raleigh Sports, Motobecane Super Mirage

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm doing the full week. I rode the last two and part of one other. I'm hooked.
Old 08-02-21, 02:26 PM
kozmic

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just back to Houston from doing the full week... RAGBRAI !!

Was an awesome ride, with nice cool days for Day 6 & Day 7.
Old 08-02-21, 07:23 PM
Pugs2xLove

Originally Posted by kozmic
Just back to Houston from doing the full week... RAGBRAI !!

Was an awesome ride, with nice cool days for Day 6 & Day 7.
Awesome indeed. Did you do the Karras or gravel loop? I did the full week with Karras Loop to finish Day 5 but don't have a gravel bike for Fort Dodge. Hotter than Hell but we did it!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.