Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Smart watch or dumb watch?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Smart watch or dumb watch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-21, 10:25 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,540 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I use a chest band HRV on the rower (more accurate than the FitBit, IME), but its connection with my Garmin head unit is spotty, so I usually don't bother with the chest band on the bike.
I got rid of my unreliable chest band heart rate sensor and now use this optical armband sensor from Polar.

Very accurate, connection to Garmin 830 never drops out, comfortable.

I wear it on my upper arm to avoid the handlebar vibration.

Old 06-17-21, 11:32 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I got rid of my unreliable chest band heart rate sensor and now use this optical armband sensor from Polar.

That looks cool indeed. My connectivity issues with the chest band HRM is really a problem with the Garmin head unit itself (530), rather then the HRM. Although the HRM is also a Garmin (chosen to avoid issues with the head unit, ironically), the head unit won't recognize it. In contrast, connectivity with the rower (Concept2) is seamless and reliable, so I know that the HRM is going it's thing. The head unit has been a bit buggy all round, sometimes failing to find satellite signals and losing turn by turn. I sometimes regret not buying a different one, like a Wahoo, but it is what it is.
Old 06-17-21, 11:42 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Litespud
The head unit (Garmin 530) has been a bit buggy all round, sometimes failing to find satellite signals and losing turn by turn.
In my experience, problems with Garmin head units are often firmware related. Garmin does not seem to be the best at writing or testing software.

Make sure you have the latest firmware installed, that usually fixes my 830's problème du jour.

Old 06-18-21, 04:07 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts

That’s the one I’ve been using for a couple of years now. Hasn’t missed a beat (pun intended). There’s a new version of it available now that I linked in an earlier post. Pretty much identical, just longer battery life and improved strap.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-18-21, 04:22 AM
Hit Factor

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL 5 Disc, Trek Fuel Ex 5.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
Upgraded from a couple of the FitBit models to a Garmin Fenix 6. Tons of features, and I like that. Battery life was the main driving factor to upgrade (fitbit had just hours of battery life, Fenix about a week). When exercising and riding I also wear a Polar H10 HRM strap.
Old 06-18-21, 05:59 AM
PeteHski

Do any of the wrist watch type HRMs actually provide accurate readings while exercising?

I know my FItbit tracker is pretty useless once you start sweating. Which is why I wear a Polar HRM for riding. But it would be more convenient if one of the better Garmin, Polar or Apple watches has an accurate sensor that still works properly when you are working up a sweat. The Fitbit sensor starts reading very low once it gets sweaty. My optical Polar HRM doesn’t have this issue, so it can be done with an optical sensor.

Pairing with my Garmin head unit would also be essential, which is another fail for my Fitbit.
Old 06-18-21, 06:15 AM
Murf58

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks everyone for the responses.
i should clarify that by “dumb watch” I meant simple monitors (watches/bands) that really don’t do much more than collect data and the analysis is done on a phone or computer.
I have some research to do but it seems that the Apple Watch is a favourite - except for battery life. Most reviews I’ve seen reckon there is not much difference between the 5 and 6 model so maybe I will just .get a series 5.
Surprised that there is not much love for Polar - and not even a mention of the whoop (although I know it’s not a watch).
I appreciate the input - thanks.
Old 06-18-21, 06:55 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Murf58
i should clarify that by “dumb watch” I meant simple monitors (watches/bands) that really don’t do much more than collect data and the analysis is done on a phone or computer.
I have some research to do but it seems that the Apple Watch is a favourite - except for battery life. Most reviews I’ve seen reckon there is not much difference between the 5 and 6 model so maybe I will just .get a series 5.
Surprised that there is not much love for Polar - and not even a mention of the whoop (although I know it’s not a watch).
I appreciate the input - thanks.
Ah, so you really meant simple tracker vs smart watch. I would definitely rule out Fitbit trackers as they are pretty poor as both an HRM and watch. So that really leaves you with the choice of an Apple Watch or a more dedicated sports watch from Garmin or Polar. Might be worth starting a new thread on that kind of comparison.
Old 06-18-21, 06:57 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Murf58
Garmin Foreunner Series.
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-18-21, 11:32 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Do any of the wrist watch type HRMs actually provide accurate readings while exercising?
None of the wristwatch HRMs are accurate when cycling. It’s not the sweat, it’s the handlebar vibration that makes it hard to get a reading.

That’s why I wear a Polar optical sensor on my upper arm. No dropouts.

Old 06-18-21, 01:00 PM
PeteHski

None of the wristwatch HRMs are accurate when cycling. It’s not the sweat, it’s the handlebar vibration that makes it hard to get a reading.

It's probably both. My Fitbit tracker is useless at home on the trainer as soon as I work up a sweat. Readings are all over the place.
I have the same Polar OH1 sensor as you and also wear it on my upper arm. It's a good solution that works 100%, but I just wondered if any of the wrist watch HRMs would work as well. I've read a couple of reviews and it appears not. So I guess I'm sticking with the armband solution for now.
Old 06-18-21, 06:33 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I had tried the FitBit Charge 3 last year, and found it lacking. I had initially bought it to monitor my 'sleep', but it didn't monitor that so well... Then I tried to see how ell it did with a cycling commute v- it would record about half of my 45 minute one-way commute. It did, however monitor my heart rate for the whole commute and I recorded a max of ~140bpm. Not too bad for a near-Clyde moving at 18-20mph! FWIW, my resting heart rate (when awake) was in the low-mid 60s, and while sleeping one would think I was near death at 45-55bpm...
Old 06-18-21, 07:28 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I’ve used the Fitbit 3 and now the 4 extensively. I found that it works well.
Old 06-19-21, 08:00 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
@Murf58 -You might consider the Wahoo I would consider this along with my Roam.
Old 06-19-21, 11:26 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I’m retired. I don’t need a watch.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 06-19-21, 12:18 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I had tried the FitBit Charge 3 last year, and found it lacking. I had initially bought it to monitor my 'sleep', but it didn't monitor that so well... Then I tried to see how ell it did with a cycling commute v- it would record about half of my 45 minute one-way commute. It did, however monitor my heart rate for the whole commute and I recorded a max of ~140bpm. Not too bad for a near-Clyde moving at 18-20mph! FWIW, my resting heart rate (when awake) was in the low-mid 60s, and while sleeping one would think I was near death at 45-55bpm...
My Charge 3 also tries to tell me I've got a max HR of around 140 when my accurate Polar HRM is reading 170+
The Fitbit simply isn't reliable when exercising. The only time it reads accurately is when I'm just pottering around. I've had reasonable results with sleep monitoring as it happens, but totally useless for exercise HRM.
Old 06-19-21, 01:46 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
My Charge 3 also tries to tell me I've got a max HR of around 140 when my accurate Polar HRM is reading 170+
The Fitbit simply isn't reliable when exercising. The only time it reads accurately is when I'm just pottering around. I've had reasonable results with sleep monitoring as it happens, but totally useless for exercise HRM.
My FitBit WAS reading my heart rate correctly at 140 while riding (I checked it by manually taking my pulse). I did some other activities at the FB went up to 160+

I attribute my 'low' rates by saying that I have thick Scandinavian blood. Like pumping a higher viscosity fluid. I have high blood pressure, but low rate. It baffles the Doc somewhat, so I use my high-viscosity fluid analogy Then he 'got it'...
Old 06-20-21, 06:53 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Electronic fitness gadgets aren't going to improve your fitness or health....I think they are all a waste of money..
Old 06-20-21, 10:42 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Electronic fitness gadgets aren't going to improve your fitness or health....I think they are all a waste of money..
Pointless thread comment alert.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-21-21, 08:25 AM
prj71

The polar optical sensor worn on your upper isn't any more accurate than the wristwatch type HRM.

It’s not imperative to be exactly right, just close.

Heart rate measured by OHRM at the wrist and ECG-based HR measured via a traditional chest strap are acceptably close in a broad range of activities in a heterogeneous, healthy population, and showed initial promising results also in CAD patients.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5984393/
Old 06-21-21, 09:27 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by prj71
The polar optical sensor worn on your upper isn't any more accurate than the wristwatch type HRM.
The heart rate recordings from my rides disagrees.

The wrist-mounted sensor produced extended periods of no signal, especially when riding fast which produced lots of handlebar vibration. The upper arm-mounted sensor showed no signal dropouts.

Observations:

1. The wrist is a poor location for recording heart rate while riding a bicycle.
2. All things equal, a heart monitor that doesn't drop out its signal is more accurate than one that does.

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-21-21 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-21-21, 10:28 AM
PeteHski

That is most definitely not true in reality. Wristwatch HRMs are notoriously poor for biking (readings are not even remotely close and can be very erratic). Now my personal experience is only with a single Fitbit tracker, but having read reviews of high end wrist HRMs they all seem to suffer much the same issue.
The Polar optical sensor is in a different league and is always both accurate and consistent. It's comparable in results to a quality chest strap, just has a tiny bit of lag (maybe 5 seconds or so when your HR is ramping up) but that doesn't really matter. I wear the Polar on my upper arm as recommended. It doesn't get phased by vibration or sweat like my Fitbit does.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-21-21, 10:36 AM
PeteHski

It’s not imperative to be exactly right, just close.
I would agree with that. Except my wrist HRM often drops up to 40 bpm lower during high intensity exercise. Is that close enough? But while pottering around it's generally okay. Just doesn't work on the bike or turbo when I'm working hard. I was hoping some of the more premium wrist HRMs would be better, but reviews are not looking great. I tend to follow DC Rainmaker's reviews on these things as he's very thorough in testing and has no axe to grind.
Old 06-21-21, 12:46 PM
prj71

The heart rate recordings from my rides disagrees.

The wrist-mounted sensor produced extended periods of no signal, especially when riding fast which produced lots of handlebar vibration. The upper arm-mounted sensor showed no signal dropouts.

Observations:

1. The wrist is a poor location for recording heart rate while riding a bicycle.
2. All things equal, a heart monitor that doesn't drop out its signal is more accurate than one that does.
You're entitled to your own opinion but you aren't entitled to your own facts.

My wrist mounted sensor (Garmin Forerunner) has no dropouts or loss of signal. I just rode 101 miles this past Saturday and my wrist mounted device worked perfectly for the entire ride. It Broadcasts my heart rate to my Garmin Edge 530 perfectly the entire ride.

Last edited by prj71; 06-21-21 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-21-21, 12:52 PM
prj71

I would agree with that. Except my wrist HRM often drops up to 40 bpm lower during high intensity exercise. Is that close enough? But while pottering around it's generally okay. Just doesn't work on the bike or turbo when I'm working hard. I was hoping some of the more premium wrist HRMs would be better, but reviews are not looking great. I tend to follow DC Rainmaker's reviews on these things as he's very thorough in testing and has no axe to grind.
As noted in the link I posted above. Close enough.

And DC doesn't give a bad review...

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/06/...th-review.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.