Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Made In Taiwan

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-06-18, 10:00 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts

The label on the box for my Potenza crankset says "Made In Taiwan. Designed in Italy."

Apparently some Campagnolo stuff is made in Taiwan now (or maybe it has been for a long time and I just wasn't paying attention). What's up with that?

I mean, I don't really care if it's made in Taiwan. I just thought Campagnolo prided itself for keeping its manufacturing close to home, in Italy and Romania?

Last edited by mrblue; 02-06-18 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 10:58 PM
MovingViolation

Bikes: Brompton S6R-X, Tern Verge X20, Moulton SST, BMC RoadMachine, Bianchi Infinito CV, Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
The label on the box for my Potenza crankset says "Made In Taiwan. Designed in Italy."

Apparently some Campagnolo stuff is made in Taiwan now (or maybe it has been for a long time and I just wasn't paying attention). What's up with that?

I mean, I don't really care if it's made in Taiwan. I just thought Campagnolo prided itself for keeping its manufacturing close to home, in Italy and Romania?
I believe that one of the stated aims for the new Potenza groupset was to get Campagnolo into the OEM groupset game in a bigger way. If so, would make perfect sense to manufacture Potenza in Taiwan given that that's where pretty much everyone's (*) frames / wheels / other components come from anyway.

(*) 90+% by volume of annual industry sales for bikes specified with Shimano Ultegra, for argument's sake.
Old 02-07-18, 12:18 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 1,522 Times in 992 Posts
Several Campy brakesets have been made by TRP for quite some time.
Old 02-07-18, 01:15 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Their website sticks to the "all made right here in Italia" story; https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Company/how_we_work

"To achieve these objectives, from Vicenza Campagnolo coordinates all activities on a global level and operates on all 5 continents thanks to a network made up of 5 sales offices (North America, Spain, France, Germany and Japan) and a logistics center in Taiwan."
Old 02-07-18, 06:10 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leinster
Their website sticks to the "all made right here in Italia" story; https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Company/how_we_work

"To achieve these objectives, from Vicenza Campagnolo coordinates all activities on a global level and operates on all 5 continents thanks to a network made up of 5 sales offices (North America, Spain, France, Germany and Japan) and a logistics center in Taiwan."
More to the point, from the same page: "(o)nly part of the assembly of some components is carried out in Romania, at the two units owned by the Campagnolo group." But even this claim isn't really a denial of any production or assembly of Campagnolo branded parts in Asia. They aren't saying that Romania is the only exception, just that the only thing they do in Romania is assemble a few components (no design, testing, etc.).
The real misleading bit, however, is at the top. It all starts out under the heading "Designed in Vicenza, Made in the EU" They should probably fix that.
Old 02-07-18, 07:26 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
That’s news to me, too, the Taiwan manufacturing bit.
Old 02-07-18, 07:28 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Not surprising. Employees are expensive. Make like everyone else, get rid of your employees and outsource/offshore. Sure you undercut your own consumer base...but when has that ever harmed anyone (LOL).
Old 02-07-18, 09:00 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Life is rife with change and inevitable shift. You adapt and move on. Or you can stay stagnant and gamble on how long you can keep your head above water. I'm sure that Campagnolo can keep making exclusive items for those people that brand themselves elite and have bragging rights when it comes to their bikes, but in the end, Campagnolo still needs to feed their families.

Of course, they can price their groupsets in such a way that it only takes a very few units to equal the quarterly sales of say, SRAM or Shimano, but I doubt that even their most loyal consumer base will pay double or triple the price just for exclusivity. They can always shrink and make bespoke groupsets exclusively. But I wonder how many employees will they have to fire?
Old 02-07-18, 09:31 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Taiwan is great quality
Old 02-07-18, 11:56 AM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
I have no qualms with "Made In Taiwan." I have some great components, frames, wheels, etc. that were made in Asia, and they've been running without flaw for years. However, what does bug me is how Campagnolo keeps touting this "Made In Italy" image while seeming to be afraid to admit they make some of their stuff in Asia. It's like: "It's ok, Campy. Everyone's doing it. You can come out of the closet now."
Old 02-07-18, 12:40 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Different countries have different standards on what kind of local work is required to label an item "Made in...". If I recall, Italy is pretty lax.
Old 02-07-18, 03:08 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Not surprising. Employees are expensive. Make like everyone else, get rid of your employees and outsource/offshore. Sure you undercut your own consumer base...but when has that ever harmed anyone (LOL).
Manufacturing in another country from the main corporate office =/ outsourcing.

Many companies operate manufacturing facilities of their own on several continents, some for reasons of cheaper labor, but more and more for 'make it where you sell it'. China's population is a huge consumer of goods these days. No use making something in the US only to ship it to China. Yes, I realize this is a bit of a tangent in that we are discussing Taiwan but I figured it was a point worth noting nonetheless.
Old 02-07-18, 03:16 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
The more they outsource the more they teach the customer that components made in far away places are cheaper and just fine ... Enter MicroShift, Sunrace, Yoleo and a gazillion other brands. Good luck
Old 02-07-18, 04:18 PM
Ridelots24
Clinging to guns/religion

Bikes: Litspd Cyx/ Paragon/ LHT/ Madone 5.2/ Spclzd TT/ Boone/ Lynskey 27.5/ Pugs / Colnago CLX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Noooooooo!!!!
Old 02-07-18, 04:24 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
However, what does bug me is how Campagnolo keeps touting this "Made In Italy" image while seeming to be afraid to admit they make some of their stuff in Asia.
It's Campy's marketing team. This is normal, they have a long history of just kind of making stuff up. Like, look at the "milestones" section of their website; it claims that Campagnolo invented the triple in 1961*, and that the Gran Sport was the first parallelogram derailleur**.

*Triples have been around since the 19th century, and at least one patent for a triple DingleSpeed-like configuration was submitted before even the earliest derailleurs. Triples have been seeing use on endurance road bikes of various sorts since the dawn of time, basically.

**At least two parallelogram derailleurs were in production before the first Gran Sport prototype was shown, one of them (the Nivex) by more than a decade.
Old 02-07-18, 04:28 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Manufacturing in another country from the main corporate office =/ outsourcing.

Many companies operate manufacturing facilities of their own on several continents, some for reasons of cheaper labor, but more and more for 'make it where you sell it'. China's population is a huge consumer of goods these days. No use making something in the US only to ship it to China. Yes, I realize this is a bit of a tangent in that we are discussing Taiwan but I figured it was a point worth noting nonetheless.
Does anyone include Campagnolo groups other than custom high-end? I'm not even sure Bianchi still does.
Old 02-07-18, 04:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Taiwan has a big presence in the bike biz and you go where you get good prices.. yes, they built a factory in Romania
some years ago, bringing costs down ..

Bianchi USA has been getting Pac Rim companies involved for Decades..

OEM factories have many Brand Name clients .. its just business..

Old 02-07-18, 08:24 PM
canamdad

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Pro steel, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, 2016 Norco Search, 2018 Ritchey Breakaway, 2019 Giant Defy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The box my Potenza brakes came in was labelled as made in Taiwan. I also bought some bearings for a Chorus Ultra Torque crankset and the box was labelled made in China but the bearings inside in a sealed plastic bag were marked made in Italy. Maybe they are getting their boxes from Far East!
Old 02-07-18, 08:39 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Does anyone include Campagnolo groups other than custom high-end? I'm not even sure Bianchi still does.
If Raleigh does (and they do), I'm sure there are others.
Old 02-07-18, 10:13 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ussprinceton
Taiwan is great quality
This is what I'm thinking. It's likely that Taiwan probably has the best pool of labor and expertise for bike manufacturing now.
Old 02-08-18, 12:42 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Taiwan is probably more expensive than Romania.
Old 02-08-18, 02:00 AM
DoYouDiverge

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish everything I owned was Made in Taiwan, or Japan, or Germany..and many others.

They make quality products.
Old 02-08-18, 05:55 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by canamdad
The box my Potenza brakes came in was labelled as made in Taiwan. I also bought some bearings for a Chorus Ultra Torque crankset and the box was labelled made in China but the bearings inside in a sealed plastic bag were marked made in Italy. Maybe they are getting their boxes from Far East!
This is what I suspect, and that the packaging must be marked with its place of manufacture because of EU import requirements, for example because Campy are importing the boxes as complete, ready-to-use items.
Old 02-08-18, 07:58 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Centaur: Aria Centaur | Bianchi USA
https://www.bianchi.com/it/bikes/bik...DMaster=382850

Potenza: https://www.bianchi.com/it/bikes/bik...DMaster=382833
https://www.bianchi.com/it/bikes/bik...DMaster=382846

Xenon: https://www.bianchi.com/it/bikes/bik...DMaster=382877

Yes, I had to resort to looking at the Bianchi Italy site to find most of those (although I just realized that you said 'custom high-end' referring to bikes and not just 'high-end' Campy groups, which means there are far more bikes out there than I linked as I was specifically excluding Chorus on up). And yes, it is a niche market that wants to pay more for a Campagnolo equipped bike in a Shimano-dominated market.
Old 02-09-18, 08:29 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster

I care much less about where it is made and much more about it being represented correctly.
If it does not matter - don't advertise it.
If it does matter - don't make it so hard to figure out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.