Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Just had to take my bike in for service. No riding for days :(

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 08-13-20, 03:26 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

Where you all are, how long does this normally take? Some general service and to fix a few things. I dropped it off today, he said he hopes to get it to me by early next week. Cant stand this part of riding when I dont have a 2nd bike. Now no riding for days, especially in this summertime when the weather is more likely to be better. Ugggg
Old 08-13-20, 04:17 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I had to get some BB service recently and when I first called the shop, they were so backed up they told me to call them back in a week and a half. After that that, the work was done pretty quickly.

Even in “normal times” that’s probably not unreasonable...a lot of shops are essentially one-man operations. If there is a lot of customer traffic or new bike assembly going on, repairs are going to have to be done between customers. With COVID-19, bike sales have gone through the roof.
Old 08-13-20, 06:05 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
OP needs a second bike, or better wrenching skills.
Old 08-13-20, 07:26 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I never take my bike in in the summer time because of this phenomenon.
One good alternative - where i live there is a mobile service truck for Trek and Velofix. If your bike is rideable, at least you don't have to leave it at the shop for 2 weeks.

And yea - two bikes. ;-) I bought a single speed bike for commuting because I didn't like any breakdowns I had commuting to affect my time on my mountain bike
Old 08-13-20, 07:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Back in June, a shop in my town was booked out 4 weeks.
Now?...no idea.
I dont use shops for maintenance so its sporadic that I would ever know the current wait times.

I did happen to go to a new shop yesterday that opened a couple months ago. 1 guy and he was wrenching at the time, but Im sure the wait time is a day or two at most.

Even in past years, spring and summer has made for wait times at popular shops near me. It ends up others want to ride and also dont know how to fix whats broken or dont have whats needed to fix whats broken. That creates delays.
Old 08-13-20, 08:27 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
It's a Covid thing
Likes For tdilf:
Old 08-13-20, 09:11 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by tdilf
It's a Covid thing
This is a big part of it, according to my friends in shops: health clubs closed down and such, so people dusted off their old bikes for some exercise, and those bikes need to be fixed up. Seems like it should be abating about now (five months into the pandemic), but then, this is peak riding season, so...
Old 08-13-20, 11:45 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Yup this is why you should always have a backup bike
Old 08-14-20, 07:19 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
Where you all are, how long does this normally take? Some general service and to fix a few things. I dropped it off today, he said he hopes to get it to me by early next week. Cant stand this part of riding when I dont have a 2nd bike. Now no riding for days, especially in this summertime when the weather is more likely to be better. Ugggg
My preferred LBS makes appointments now, so you can usually have your bike back within a day or two depending on parts availability. As many have suggested, second bike or start wrenching yourself.

This is what happens sometimes when one tries their own wrenching!
Old 08-14-20, 09:22 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
A covid thing? How long is your typical backup in August in non Covid times?
Around here it is 1-2 weeks.
Old 08-14-20, 09:26 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I do almost all my own wrenching but i have heard around here something that takes a couple days will be now 1-2 weeks.
Old 08-14-20, 03:59 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
COVID has been an excellent teacher of the finer bicycle mechanic arts.
Old 08-14-20, 04:39 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Most shops around here are 7 days deep in backlogged work. Fortunately I have 4 bikes, tools and do pretty much all my own work.
Old 08-16-20, 06:40 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Backlogs around here is about 5 - 7 days now. Was 2 weeks in early summer just about everywhere. Our shop also makes appointments and takes about 3 days after the appointment. We also offer a rush fee for 24 hour service for those in need and willing to pay extra to jump the queue. I think it is nice to have that option for folks that discover a problem the day before a vacation or a big ride, etc. Parts are a big problem however in some cases... 26 inch tubes were really scarce for a while but that is starting to ease up a bit...Certain Shimano parts were unobtainable for a while.
Old 08-16-20, 08:07 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I wanted to take my bike in for a tune-up, partly because the chain needed replacing. They told me there was a 3-4 week backlog on tuneups, so I wanted to make an appointment so I wouldn't be without the bike. They weren't taking appointments, because they said too many people were making appointments and then not showing up for them. But I assured them I would show up, and truthfully told them that was my only bike, I ride it every day, and I didn't want to be without it for several weeks.So they then told me if I left it with them right then, they'd have it ready the next day, and they did.

I have no connections at the shop. They didn't know my name or recognize me, but I did buy the bike at that shop. I'm happy with the rapid service, which was much different from what they initially told me.

So, maybe the reason all of you have to wait so long for service is that they put me ahead of you in the queue.
Likes For Random11:
Old 08-17-20, 11:38 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I have had someone else work on my bike once in my life: had a wheel built for a BMX bike when I was 15 years old. 100% of all service is done by me since then. no one touches my bike, including wheel builds and suspension service.

it helps that I worked in bike shops for several years so I learned a lot and collected tools for most jobs. i know someone in a shop who will let me borrow very specific tools like if I want to face the 44mm head tube on a steel frame. I still have a very modest budget for bike parts but I if I had to pay someone else to work on my bike, I could never afford cycling.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 08-17-20 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-17-20, 11:47 AM
dur4ce

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Recently had my (cf) steerer cut down. I'm usually a die hard diy-er - rather buy tools than pay for labor. But for this job, figured I'd trust the professionals. After being promised an overnight job, the next morning I got a call that did not start with "Your bike is ready to pickup." Turns out after marking the steerer, the tech cut it at another mark that happened to be on the steerer!

Long story short, the shop made it right, but an overnight job turned into a two week turn around as the owner made it right, sourced a new fork, and got it right the second time around.
Old 08-17-20, 01:01 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I have had someone else work on my bike once in my life....
I'm just the opposite. I'm relatively new to cycling, and an older rider. My thought with regard to my LBS is: I'll ride it; you maintain it. Maybe I'll get into maintenance a little more as time goes on, but at this point I'd rather spend the money to have someone else do the maintenance than spend the time to do it myself. I'm not thinking of this as a public service, but it's people like me who keep the local shops in business.
Likes For Random11:
Old 08-17-20, 07:00 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
If you really want to support the LBS, be the cyclist who comes in for regular service during the slow season.

This has been my first year of serious gravel riding (200+ miles per week, 90%+ on gravel), and the miles take a toll on your equipment even when you stay on top of everything diligently. With one gravel bike (plus a hybrid that could gravel, but it's slow), I keep a spare everything, and do all my maintenance besides once off jobs like cutting a steerer tube.
Old 09-06-20, 08:18 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
I just brought two bikes in for servicing on 9/4 and was told they'll come back on 9/14 and 9/17. This would be norrmal in spring/summer and is a little long for the early fall, but it's not extraordinary.

As already said, this is one of the most important reasons to own more than one bike. And there are so many other reasons. OP, if you are serious about your biking habit and it makes you sad to be without your only bike for a week or two, you are WAY overdue for n+1

As per doing one's own wrenching vs. taking it to the shop, I know that many of you take pride in (and get pleasure from) doing your own. I do some basic and routine stuff, but for me, my bike habit already absorbs many hours/week, and I would have a hard time justifying taking that much more dealing with mechanicals. I can afford to pay people with better skills to do these things. It's not money versus skills, its' money versus time.

If I were retired, it would be different.

Last edited by MinnMan; 09-06-20 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-06-20, 08:22 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
I took my e bike in for a computer upgrade so I can get the wattage I put out. it was planned two weeks ahead and I would get it the same day till they had problems took them 3 hours to get the new wires ran. but then problems that they had to wait on the manufacturer to get help with. but they gave me a loaner. I thought about buying a non e commuter but I could not find one in stock.
Old 09-07-20, 07:59 AM
Koyote

Funny that this thread is still going on...Even though the OP almost certainly has his/her bike back from the shop by now.
Old 09-07-20, 03:57 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I had someone build a wheel for me once, maybe in 1996. I was 15 years old at the time. Since then, no one has put a tool to any of my bikes. DIY or die!
Old 09-07-20, 11:04 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
I had absolutely no knowledge about bike repair as I just started riding at the start of covid. I now have 2 vintage mountain bikes (Specialized Hardrock and GT Palomar) and a new Lynskey GR300 titanium gravel bike. I figured I should start doing some basic wrenching to sort out derailleur issues, fix flats, etc. After watching a few Calvin Jones from Park Tool videos and getting a decent repair stand from Amazon, I’m finding simple DIY bike repairs to be highly satisfying. Admittedly the parts expense is starting to rack up so the really difficult jobs that require expensive and task-specific hand tools (BB work), I bring in for service.
Likes For Wilbur76:
Old 09-08-20, 04:05 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur76
I had absolutely no knowledge about bike repair as I just started riding at the start of covid. I now have 2 vintage mountain bikes (Specialized Hardrock and GT Palomar) and a new Lynskey GR300 titanium gravel bike. I figured I should start doing some basic wrenching to sort out derailleur issues, fix flats, etc. After watching a few Calvin Jones from Park Tool videos and getting a decent repair stand from Amazon, I’m finding simple DIY bike repairs to be highly satisfying. Admittedly the parts expense is starting to rack up so the really difficult jobs that require expensive and task-specific hand tools (BB work), I bring in for service.
Over time, you may find that the tools you buy will work on multiple bikes. I bought a cassette tool for a new build thinking, "when will I ever use this again" and as it turns out, all 3 of my geared bikes use that tool. It's nice to take off the entire cassette, degrease it, and pop on a nice shiny cassette. Makes a difference in shifting and wear and tear. Same for a crankset puller. Can't tell you how many cranks I've pulled with that.

Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.