Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Sealed bearing hub question

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-21, 03:58 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts

How many miles can I get out of a rear sealed bearing hub? I have about 4000 miles on my wabi classic with standard wabi wheel set, white industries freewheel and my drive train is starting to run rough, hearing creaking noise. I thought it was my chain so yesterday I replaced my chain and I also decided to remove the 19t freewheel I wasn’t using. in the process of removing the freewheel the weirdest thing happened my bearings popped out which was really odd so I ran down to my LBS to have them installed again. I’m wondering if i may have been riding with loose bearings and ruined something or are my bearings shot? The wheels are moving freely but the noises I’m hearing are not normal especially today I started to hear metal on metal sound when my wheel is spinning. Any advice?
Old 04-19-21, 03:13 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
With sealed bearings you can pull the bearing race out, stick your finger inside of it and spin it. If the bearings are shot it'll be obvious, it should spin smooth. As far as miles, who knows, they can all be different.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 04-19-21, 06:50 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I something like this happen once. We figured out that the hubshell had ovalized enough for the bearings to fall out. Our theory was that when I had walked the axle back to get the chain right, I had introduced some torque through hub. Then riding forces twisted the hub shell causing the bearing seat to open up.
Old 04-19-21, 08:54 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
are my bearings shot? today I started to hear metal on metal sound
4000 isn't a ton of miles, but not all miles are the same. Wheel bearings are pretty cheap, so I'd have the shop replace them just to take the guesswork out of it.
Old 04-19-21, 12:08 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
How many miles will depend on variables like your weight, tyre pressure, type of surfaces you ride on, how you've maintained them, the quality of the bearings, and so on.

I've just had the front bearings replaced on my fixed, but the back bearings seem OK. This is the first time I've replaced them in the roughly 14 years I've had the bike, but for some of those years I was not riding very often.

With sealed bearings, it is possible to ease off the cover using a craft knife/Stanley knife blade, clean them, add grease, and put the cover back on. A bit of a faff the first time but not a huge job really. You can do this with the bearings in situ.

Check that the problem you have really is the bearings and not just loose cones.
Old 04-19-21, 06:26 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I something like this happen once. We figured out that the hubshell had ovalized enough for the bearings to fall out. Our theory was that when I had walked the axle back to get the chain right, I had introduced some torque through hub. Then riding forces twisted the hub shell causing the bearing seat to open up.

did you ruin your hub? Or still useable after wards? I have to order the bearings non of the LBS have them in stock
Old 04-20-21, 07:39 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
What size bearings are they?
Old 04-20-21, 07:55 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by cxwrench
what size bearings are they?
Old 04-20-21, 07:59 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Hard to believe no shop has them in stock, that's a size that's used on a pretty regular basis. We stock tons of 6000, 68XX, 69XX, 608...
Old 04-20-21, 08:03 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Hard to believe no shop has them in stock, that's a size that's used on a pretty regular basis. We stock tons of 6000, 68XX, 69XX, 608...
I went to 3 shops near me in Southern Cal and no one had them. It’s ok, I already ordered them
Old 04-21-21, 10:47 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Modern Bike has them in stock, $4.64 plus shipping. I got some from them a few weeks ago.